2020 S1kRR - Gilles Rearsets - Rear Brake Components and CF Wheel failure/Debris - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
The manual calls for a feeler gauge. But to be honest I just do it by feel. You want the pedal to go down a little before you get some drag or pressure on the rear disc. If it's applying the brake as soon as you touch it then its too tight. Loosen it off a bit. You want some actual lever travel before the brake is applied. You get the same problem with people being fussy about clutch lever play. They adjust it too tight when the bike is hot and I have seen in excessive cases 0 clutch lever freeplay and it wore the clutch out lol

When I put it on, this was suspect to me. There's always a little bit of drag, and so with the brake light going on and off w/ pressure I would think it's right on that hair. After install before riding, the bike moved freely pushing it around the garage and on the rear stand the wheel rolled freely. We are not talking about much drag if those 2 were possible and why I still think something else could be at work. I also was not riding with my foot resting on the lever riding around, hard to prove short of pointing to experience.

It says in the Gilles Install manual in bold lettering, do not adjust the pushrod (pic in the imagur link) and one person's opinion was if I had adjusted it there isn't enough free space there to remove all the pressure to allow free play of the lever before activation.

I've reached out to Gilles directly and given them all my pics/video. They've responded and are analyzing the data, so that is good.

A CF rear wheel without any tpm is 3.8k, a caliper is 800 and a rotor is 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
The manual calls for a feeler gauge. But to be honest I just do it by feel. You want the pedal to go down a little before you get some drag or pressure on the rear disc. If it's applying the brake as soon as you touch it then its too tight. Loosen it off a bit. You want some actual lever travel before the brake is applied. You get the same problem with people being fussy about clutch lever play. They adjust it too tight when the bike is hot and I have seen in excessive cases 0 clutch lever freeplay and it wore the clutch out lol
Thanks benny!

2020 S1000RR M-Package
2014 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2007 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1979 Honda CB400 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode