4Likes
  • 1 Post By skapan
  • 1 Post By Craig H.
  • 1 Post By Superfist
  • 1 Post By bennymx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

worn cams

Hi everyone, I need your help on this one! My brother has a 2010 standard ( no abs and tc) that is starting to develop a more noisy sound from the engine. It has done about 22000 Km. and I have installed the silver plug a while ago. I think it is the cam chain but now I am thinking about worn cams too. How many of you have changed the cams due to failure, and at what mileage. I know there was something going with the cams not hardened enough on the early years. It doesn’t sound too bad yet, but worse than my 2012 with 47000 Kms.
The bike runs strong like a bat out of hell, so there is nothing that slows it down.
Could it be the cams or just the chain or cam train?
I have asked this question on another forum, but I know there is also many competent people on this forum too.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:29 PM

So we are your second choice after Facebook? Hmmmm, some of the members here might take offence at that.
bennymx likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:07 PM

I actually take offense to you thinking I would take offense to his question being posted on more than one forum...and you are a moderator?
skapan likes this.

When I go, I want to go like dear old grandpa...asleep at the wheel with everyone else in the car screaming!!

1972 Honda 450 SL
1976 Honda 750 F
1976 Yamaha XS 650
1978 Honda 125 CL
1982 Suzuki GS 1100
2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2009 Aprilia RS 125
2010 BMW K 1300 S
2017 BMW S1000RR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:28 PM

I take offence be beause its something to be offended about
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 PM

Really, a video with good quality sound of the symptoms would be best if you want more accurate responses. A "noisy sound" plus your best guesses as to what they might be aren't the best descriptors to get helpful internet guesstimates of the issue.

Check your oil level, then try a cold start clip, a clip at operating temp and a startup clip at operating temp with a good microphone in the area where the noise of concern is the loudest or clearest.
bennymx likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:34 AM

I don't think it would be cams on a 2010 model. More likely a failed tensioner or stretched chain.
cyclesailor955 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Hi
Thank you for the answers.
How did you guys know it was on facebook? Are you looking at that too? No offence here!
Well damn! I knew I shouldn't have wrote that!
jokes aside!
I got some answers and some where good, but I was also thinking of at what millage the cams usually give up. I have heard I would be already about 10-12K kms. So if some of you have changed the cams please chime in.
And Bennymx, I have thought giving it a new chain but can only find the OEM kit (part # 11008536327). So it looks that you have to change the chain, guides and sprockets at a time (and needing the tool for holding the camshafts into place).
Also have looked into the manual cam chain tensioner from CA motor werks maybe Alpha racing. Have any of you experience with them?
I have seen so many video clips on youtube trying to capture the sound of the camchain and I fear mine would be just one in the pile
Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Not knowing anything specific about these bikes other than that they're generally fairly reliable, it seems unlikely that the cams themselves are worn out at 22000km/14000mi.

Loose valves can make noise, but in general valves tighten up rather than loosening.

A loose cam chain - either due to stretch or due to a failed tensioner - is my guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode