BMW S1000RR Forums:  BMW Sportbike Forum

BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum (https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/)
-   BMW S1000RR General Discussion (https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/)
-   -   Potential engine damage with De-CAT? (https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/241516-potential-engine-damage-de-cat.html)

Firebladder 10-08-2019 01:23 PM

Potential engine damage with De-CAT?

Hi guys! Just replaced the CAT with Danmoto link pipe and I also have a short slip-on (SC Project) while keeping the stock headers. Engine runs fine except weird timing just at idle. Once I twist the throttle, is smooth as silk. Question: I'm worried of potential engine damage long term if I don't use a fuel/air manager like the PCV, although as it is I would rather keep the current setting. Anybody better informed on potential engine damage with this setup? Thanks for well-informed (not guessing) answers.

skapan 10-08-2019 04:05 PM

I would never do that to an exhaust system so sorry I can't help you.

Firebladder 10-08-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skapan (Post 2352714)
I would never do that to an exhaust system so sorry I can't help you.

Could you kindly elaborate? The weight savings, louder engine rumble and freer-breathing acceleration makes it a worth modification in my view. Besides, many people do it, including replacing the entire exhaust system, with no drama that I can recall. The only concern is a lean mix down low may create some engine issue, or so I hear. Thanks for your views.

Amok 10-08-2019 08:52 PM

friend of mine did the same on a new bike (not a BMW). Decat, new exhaust, no tune.

5-6 months later its in the shop sounding like a bucket of rusty bolts in the back of a pickup truck.

You're gonna spend a lot on a new zorst, spend the extra and get a tune as well. Its either cry now ($$), laugh later, or laugh now and cry later ($$$$)

Firebladder 10-08-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amok (Post 2352736)
friend of mine did the same on a new bike (not a BMW). Decat, new exhaust, no tune.

5-6 months later its in the shop sounding like a bucket of rusty bolts in the back of a pickup truck.

You're gonna spend a lot on a new zorst, spend the extra and get a tune as well. Its either cry now ($$), laugh later, or laugh now and cry later ($$$$)

I see. Question: Would it be enough to get, say, a PCV and download the closest configuration map while skipping the dyno session? I am nowhere near a bike dyno shop. Thanks for the heads-up.

Amok 10-08-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebladder (Post 2352754)
I see. Question: Would it be enough to get, say, a PCV and download the closest configuration map while skipping the dyno session? I am nowhere near a bike dyno shop. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm not sure about PC tunes to be honest, I'm sure someone else here knows more about it.

I would be looking at a handheld tune device with pre-loaded flashes. There's a few companies around that do this. Benefit is you can flash back to stock any time (like if taking it to the dealer if its still under warranty)

madewithrealtornados 10-08-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebladder (Post 2352698)
Hi guys! Just replaced the CAT with Danmoto link pipe and I also have a short slip-on (SC Project) while keeping the stock headers. Engine runs fine except weird timing just at idle. Once I twist the throttle, is smooth as silk. Question: I'm worried of potential engine damage long term if I don't use a fuel/air manager like the PCV, although as it is I would rather keep the current setting. Anybody better informed on potential engine damage with this setup? Thanks for well-informed (not guessing) answers.

All these posts might be irrelevant. What year and model?

z00 10-08-2019 10:29 PM

I just talked to a couple of dealerships about K67 availability, and warranty the other day. BMW approves of having a full system, no flash/tune, as long o2 sensors are used on full exhaust to keep warranty.

Firebladder 10-08-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madewithrealtornados (Post 2352758)
All these posts might be irrelevant. What year and model?

2012 BMW S1000RR, with around 8 K miles.

Firebladder 10-08-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z00 (Post 2352764)
I just talked to a couple of dealerships about K67 availability, and warranty the other day. BMW approves of having a full system, no flash/tune, as long o2 sensors are used on full exhaust to keep warranty.

Mine still has the O2 sensors connected. In addition, it still has the butterfly valves on the original headers.