Purchase decision: S1000RR or R1? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Purchase decision: S1000RR or R1?

Hello y'all.

I'm looking to purchase this weekend and I'm having a hell of a time trying to pick between a 2016 R1 and a 2015 S1000RR. The biggest draws to the bimmer for me are the heated grips, cruise control and raw power. The big draws for the R1 are the electronics package, repair and dealer support network and known reliability.

So, I haven't gotten to ride either motorcycle for more than a few miles at demo days over the past couple years. I daily commute all year and hit mountains as often as I can. I'm coming from a Yamaha FJ-09 that I put 24k miles on over the past two years. I've been riding for decades and this will be my first step up into the 1000cc class. (Yamaha U7E in the 90's to Ninja 250, KLR650, Street Triple R, now FJ-09)

So given that I daily commute, I really don't care if it's uncomfortable or hot because it's 45 minutes, twice a day in Atlanta traffic. I'm already suffering, a little more isn't going to hurt. I like the superbike ergos better than sitting upright anyhow. So I'm not even considering my commute in the decision.

Which one would feel better in the mountains? Which one feels better leaned over in long sweepers? Tight switchbacks and changes of direction? I'm suspecting the R1 would be the better canyon carver and the S1000RR would be the better ride for the 90 miles to get to the mountains. This is where the joy is for me and the one that's easier to ride in the mountains is the one I want.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 AM

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
@z00 is your man!
Thanks! I'm guessing @z00 has experience on both. I look forward to hearing some opinions!

Also, haven't done any track days, but plan to do some next year. I'm sure either one will easily be more than my skill-set. I'm more concerned with dropping bad habits and building good ones.

I considered a 600... but I only get to have 1 bike at a time and for everyday riding, I love the torque of larger motors.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 AM

If the Yamaha doesn't have cruise control, that's a negative. Never thought CC would be important on a literbike, but I ride almost exclusively in the mountain twisties and for those brief periods when you need your right hand off the throttle, it's fantastic to have. Once you have one, you'll want it on every bike...
Gixxerguy855 and Superfist like this.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post
If the Yamaha doesn't have cruise control, that's a negative. Never thought CC would be important on a literbike, but I ride almost exclusively in the mountain twisties and for those brief periods when you need your right hand off the throttle, it's fantastic to have. Once you have one, you'll want it on every bike...
Yes! It's so often even when cruising at 45 on a side road that I'll upshift to 6th just so I don't get so much engine breaking when I want to shake my wrists out. I'm really leaning to the BMW for everyday riding. Heated grips in the winter months are also something I didn't know I needed in my life until I had a set. I can always get aftermarket, but OEM heated grips always seem to work so much better.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 AM

I would ride both if at all possible. For me the R1 is geared more for the track, its egos prove that. Also the R1 does not have the midrange power I desire on the street, nor does it have heated grips and cruise control. These things were all factors for me riding on the street.
Only you can make the decision on whats important and whats not.
Superfist likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM

How tall are you? most tall people seem to like and enjoy the ergos of the RR
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 AM

Speaking of ergos, I'm 5'10" and with Heli bars on my '17 RR, I can canyon-carve with ease (more leverage) and also ride 300 miles in the mountains without fatigue (cruise control really helps on straight stretches...), and I'm 72 years of age. So...the RR for "the win", I think. Does it all and does it well.
Superfist likes this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Many will say the BMW heated grips are pretty feeble and most aftermarket are far superior. I agree. Big difference in reliability ratings but an extended warranty can help. Personally, I would not but a BMW w/o one and likely not for the R1.
Superfist likes this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:50 AM
z00

Why are you limited to 16 R1 and 15 RR?

What's your budget? If you can swing it to get the new RR even a base, it would be better than two bikes you picked.

I hope you shop around, there are some great deals on 18 bikes. New and used, also CSS (calif super bike school) has some low mileage 18 RR that they sell for good prices. Give them a call and ask for JJ their mechanic.

But to answer your question, 16 R1 would handle and work better for the twisties & track. 15 RR for commuting.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode