Bad BMW Factory Tune just lost the S1k Sportbike of the Year - Page 8 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:56 PM

If you get a handheld tune device, flash it back to stock before you take it into service.
Tom Bernhardt likes this.

2015 S1000RR (sold)
2016 Tuono
2017 R Nine T

<10K club janitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:45 PM

like what the other person said, all the 2020+ bikes thats Bound to come out will have some sort of restrictions to meet epa guidlines. Euro5. Most people are going to B*tch about those bikes too. This shii is never ending. No one is ever happy. I for one will enjoy my bren stage 1 tune on my 2020s1krr. If the motor goes due to my doing then so be it. As much as it sucks, You got to be prepared to pay for your mistakes. That doesnt mean i wont try and bring the bike to the dealer and see what they say. If the motor goes while normal riding then i will file a claim with bmw and hope they cover it.
xorbe likes this.
post #73 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:42 PM

It's a miracle 1000cc sportbikes are even legal considering how relative to a car cheap they are and how fast they go.

post #74 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 06:33 PM

Sorry fellow s1000rr brothers, just my opinion. I know it's a far better bike that the previous model, hell I even had a 2011 and a 2015 1000rr. I was just hoping for a better looking new bike from BMW. I've been riding and buying new motorcycles for over 35 years, sometimes 2 new bikes a year. I've had them all over the years, almost always the new model looks better and fresh compared to the outgoing design. I'm just not crazy over the looks of the new design. Again just my opinion and like the old saying goes...
post #75 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas Pmp View Post
Love the looks of this bike. And that sound
Love the sound of the Aprilia, but the silver frame, silver wheels, and winglets have to go.
Not a fan of all 3.

A few riders claiming they don't mind replacing a blown motor on a brand new $25k bike with their own money.
I call bullshit.

Suzuki paid 100% of the bill when i spun a bearing on my 1 year old 2005 1k with 8k miles. I was still pissed off that the dealer had my bike for three months.
Extremely pissed off to be without my bike for that long.

Last edited by 19s1k; 09-27-2019 at 11:51 PM.
post #76 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simes007us View Post
If I didn't know I could get a flash pretty quickly I would have bought a V4s instead. Waiting till the warranty runs out to flash the bike seems a bit silly to me. I don't know what the stats are but needing a warranty engine replacement has to be pretty low on the count of how many time this happens list.

The throttle map is also in my opinion boarderline dangerous. If you need to get out of the way of someone on the road and your throttle doesn't work as intended. That's horrific. Braking isn't always a good idea. It also performs like a 2 stroke where you whack the throttle to 100% open and it jumps forward at 8k rpm because the map goes from 50% to 100% instantly. In 2nd gear that is quite alarming. On the basis that any yahoo with $20k can buy these things, someone is bound to get hurt. If you buy a 2020 flash it.

Another note is that people saying that "It isn't that bad on the track" are talking out of their ass. If you come out of any 2 gear corner at the bottom of the dead zone a ninja 400 will pull away from you. It's savagely bad. I've had it happen to me. I was not amused.
Agree completely. All 2020 RRs need to be flashed. The surge at 8-9K RPM in 2nd scared the crap out of me the first time. You better not have TC completely off. The flash radically improves street rideability.

But it also improves track performance. I remember coming out of the 180' turn 14 at Streets of Willow Springs on the 2018 RR. Even in 2nd, it had enough torque to power wheelie by time you went WOT on exit. In contrast, you not only can't use 2nd on the 2020 without going too slow in the power lag, even using 1st has issues.

The no-warranty risk starts extremely low between the tiny chance along with BMW's normally liberal policies and practices. This is further reduced to about zero with Bren's invisibility to normal service inspection and the ability to restore the stock tune at any point prior to bringing it in. I see no risk, especially relative to the enormous benefit.
post #77 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simes007us View Post
If you buy a 2020 flash it.

Another note is that people saying that "It isn't that bad on the track" are talking out of their ass. If you come out of any 2 gear corner at the bottom of the dead zone a ninja 400 will pull away from you. It's savagely bad. I've had it happen to me. I was not amused.
Coming out of Turn 11 at Circuit of the Americas was embarrassingly amusing on the stock map. (hairpin left into the long back straight) I made sure to take a wider line to not be in the way, then finally the bike would kick in down the straight and I'd catch all the R1s, Panigales, older S1000RRs and Ninja 400s that just blew my doors off. (are car references like that allowed?). Anyways I could not agree with you more and very thankful we have access to a tune to fix it all.
post #78 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:24 PM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFen View Post
Coming out of Turn 11 at Circuit of the Americas
Did this R1 lap you by any chance?

BMWFen likes this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #79 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19s1k View Post
A few riders claiming they don't mind replacing a blown motor on a brand new $25k bike with their own money.
except no one said that... at all.

many riders dont mind taking the small risk of potentially having an issue from flashing a brand new bike... the % chance of having catastrophic engine failure + also being denied warranty is incredibly small... can it happen? yes of course... does it happen to a lot of people? no it does not... some people make a calculated decision to roll the dice since the odds are overwhelmingly in their favor that it will never be an issue... that does not mean in any way that they "dont mind replacing a blown motor with their own money"

you dont want to flash a new bike, we get it... but you shouldnt twist other peoples statements to fit your own bias
post #80 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 03:25 PM

I agree. The sudden increase in power from 8000 to 9000 RPMs when hard on the throttle is really disconcerting the first time it hits you. It is almost like turbo lag and then the turbo spools up. If you are not ready for it, that could be dangerous. The solution is simple BMW. Offer an off-road use only tune that preserves the warranty.
19s1k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode