K67 MotoGP Shift - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanHovse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Hey!

I picked up my K67 just a couple weeks ago. And did everything to reach my break in miles as soon as possible, in order to get the first service done and redline unleashed.

I’m new on liter bikes FYI. Previous experience is pretty weak. CBR250R for under 1200miles. Then I got into tracking with CSS and Pro6. And loving it since. Regardless, let’s talk about SHIFTING.

If you know anything about automobile sequential/sequential style shifters, you are well aware in auto racing, when you want to go UP a gear, you pull the shifter lever BACK, following the gforces pulling you back under acceleration. And to go DOWN a gear you pull the shifter lever FORWARD, following the gforces pulling you forward under braking. Only natural right... Unfortunately most manufacturers never used this direction for shifts. Even manufacturers like Porsche in their factory High Performance GT street cars (until very recently where they finally switched). And I always wondered why that was the case, that in racing vs street, the direction of the upshifts/downshifts were opposite. Made no sense to me.

Fast forward to Race bikes vs Street bikes. Sure enough, the mantra is the same. On Race bikes (with a few exceptions), you shift UP by pushing the gear lever down through rotating the front edge of your foot DOWN AND BACK, which is the direction of the accelerating gforces; AND you shift DOWN by pushing the gear lever up through rotating the front edge of your foot UP AND FORWARD, which is the direction of braking gforces. And it’s the OPPOSITE for street bikes. Which, with my limited experience of always running traditional shifting on my CBR, always felt the motorcycle street shifting to be non sensical really. Identical to the car’s street shifiting.

To make a long story shorter than it can be, I switched my K67 to the race style of GP shifting after the break in miles. And I’ll be honest, it makes for the most NATURAL shifts.

If you’ve never tried or think negatively of it or think it doesn’t suit you or think it’s the opposite of what you’ve done for years, you must stop and try this, immediately. Has nothing to do with being a better rider or faster shifts or just to change things up. I’m just talking about speed, gforces and body motion. And MotoGP shift fits that precisely. AND it takes literally 2minutes to do on the K67 so no excuses...it’s worth a try.

Dan
FatWilbur likes this.

Dan Hovse
2019 BMW S1KRR MSport TriColor (coming soon)

Last edited by DanHovse; 08-29-2019 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:38 AM

Ive been shifting GP the first day I sat on a bike. There is no other way. Its un-natural to shift upwards for me. I cant do it.

Down for higher gears is the best way to go. I am not sure why the upshift was implemented. I guess it's like the mac OS mouse scroll. It's inverted.

Stephen
2018 BMW s1000RR piece of crap

on the face: Go here

Track Side Batteries
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 AM
Vendor

Garage
Really depends on the rider. Some people are more comfortable with standard shift, others with GP shift. At least on the street it doesn't make a lot of difference. The biggest difference is at the track, when you are still leaned and want to shift up, that is when the GP shift shines.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:19 AM

My S1000 is GP pattern, my R1200RS is standard pattern. Which means I screw it up on both bikes more than I care to admit. If I could easily (cheaply) move the RS to a GP shift I probably would.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 AM
cjc

I went back and forth between regular and GP shift on the track for a while trying to decide what I like best. I initially settled on regular shift - felt faster/more comfortable to push down on the way into corners than to use GP shift and get my foot back out from under the shifter and onto the peg for entry. As my comfort level/pace increased, I found myself needing to shift up more often when leaned over so went to GP shift. I now like GP shift better but sometimes I need to downshift leaned over in a long right hander and that feels a little fussy. I also am eventually going to destroy my dirt bike with shifting the wrong direction since it has standard shift!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode