2018 Shift Missing Neutral 95% - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2018 Shift Missing Neutral 95%

I've had my 2018 for a little over a year now. Bought it brand new. It has about 4K miles on it. Since the day I've owned it, at temperature, when coming to a stop, and it's engaged in 1st, clutch pulled in, trying to shift to N fails about 95% of the time. I know it's a tiny hit to get it in N, but this **** is bonkers. I've had it in the dealership over 5 times for this reason alone (documented), and they keep telling me the adjusted it and measured it bla bla bla. It's actually worse after my last visit to the dealer. I've now been in a situation when in 2nd clutch shifting to 1st and it just drops in N. Totally unsafe!!! I showed the service manager exactly what it was doing, in the parking lot. Even sitting there, started the bike, sitting in 1st and trying to kick up to N ALWAYS ends up just jumping past and lands in 2nd. Sometimes I have to slam it down from 2nd and it hits N. He said: "Yeah, that's not normal."
I've asked the dealer the last 2 times to actually look into the clutch. It's not a cable or clutch lever problem. It's mechanical. Does anyone have ANYTHING I can try to resolve this. The dealer is an hour away and always busy. Any suggestions???? It's to the point where riding my bike isn't fun anymore. I live in DC, so afternoon rush hour stop-and-go traffic is absolutely terrible. Thanks for any advice.

-Bryan

-SK
-------------------
2018 S1000RR - Black Storm Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
I'd contact customer service for BMW and politely outline everything that's been going on and request that the bike be towed to a different dealer at no cost to you for the issue to be resolved since the dealer you're going to clearly has no inclination to resolve it or the know how.

The United States has a lemon law so maybe you qualify to just get a new bike, look into the law and find out if you qualify. Maybe the dealer can be forced to buy back your bike and provide a replacement at no cost to you. In any case try to find the option that doesn't piss off the only dealer close enough to you for service because if they're your only option you may want to keep the peace with them and find a solution that not only fixes the problem but allows you to have worry free maintenance moving forward. You don't want to be branded as a "trouble" customer even though you're only trying to get an issue resolved that's clearly not right.

I had a similar issue with my 2018 but on my previous service visit I brought it to the attention of the dealer and they fixed it by adjusting my clutch free play or "slack" as some people call it. Not saying this will fix your issue, just pointing out my servicing dealer was able to solve the issue, so maybe the problem is the dealer you've gone to. In the automotive world service quality can vary drastically from one dealer to another despite we all receiving the same training. All comes down to how thorough the tech is and how much they care about customer satisfaction. I treat customers how I want to be treated.

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.
Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a tree fort.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current

Last edited by SavageS1000RR; 08-27-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageS1000RR View Post
I'd contact customer service for BMW and politely outline everything that's been going on and request that the bike be towed to a different dealer at no cost to you for the issue to be resolved since the dealer you're going to clearly has no inclination to resolve it or the know how.

The United States has a lemon law so maybe you qualify to just get a new bike, look into the law and find out if you qualify. Maybe the dealer can be forced to buy back your bike and provide a replacement at no cost to you. In any case try to find the option that doesn't piss off the only dealer close enough to you for service because if they're your only option you may want to keep the peace with them and find a solution that not only fixes the problem but allows you to have worry free maintenance moving forward. You don't want to be branded as a "trouble" customer even though you're only trying to get an issue resolved that's clearly not right.

I had a similar issue but my previous service I brought it to the dealer and they fixed it by adjusting my clutch free play or "slack" as some people call it.
This is actually a great idea. I haven't tried BMW Customer Service yet. I do like the dealer, they're reputable, but it's almost like the service department doesn't believe me when I say it's exhibiting these issues time and time again. I've been riding for, ugh idk 15+ years. I know how to shift from 1st to N, even on a race bike with a sensitive clutch. I specifically have made sure they documented it each time to show it has existed from the very first day I've owned the bike. There is another BMW dealer about 1.5 hours away in the opisite direction. I may try them as well just to see. I just don't want to dump my bike off for another week for service work.

-Bryan

-SK
-------------------
2018 S1000RR - Black Storm Metallic

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM

I have the same problem with my 2020. Its a pain in the ass. Dealer said i need to keep putting miles on it and it will get better. Told me to use the clutch lever more for upshift and downshifts. 🏽
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rbatim View Post
I have the same problem with my 2020. Its a pain in the ass. Dealer said i need to keep putting miles on it and it will get better. Told me to use the clutch lever more for upshift and downshifts. 🏽
Ask your dealer to visually inspect the clutch assembly. Mine has the same problem and what the dealer found out it my clutch has hot spots on it as if it was installed dry. They are replacing the clutch assembly in a couple weeks.

My bike is a 2020 m with 2k on it.
beech likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rbatim View Post
Ask your dealer to visually inspect the clutch assembly. Mine has the same problem and what the dealer found out it my clutch has hot spots on it as if it was installed dry. They are replacing the clutch assembly in a couple weeks.

My bike is a 2020 m with 2k on it.
Im going to the dealer tommo for ignition timing recall update. I will bring up the clutch problem and tell them to look at the clutch assembly for hotspots.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:51 PM

Ok cool keep us updated
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 PM

Same problem with my 2020. I havent found it to be alarming. I’ve been figuring that I just need to get a better feel for the shifter as I only have 350 miles on it. I’ve heard the same thing from other people though so I will check back here.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:11 PM

Garage
On my 2020 its almost impossible to find neutral. There should be something written that states not to use clutchless up/downshifts during break-in for this specific reason. It's mind-bendingly annoying.
beech likes this.

2020 BMW S1000rr ()
2013 BMW S1000rr (Gone)
2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 (Gone)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Gone)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Gone)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:37 PM

I spent the weekend at the track and had the same issue when we were waiting to leave the paddock after start up. The oil was still about 100F when I started and would quickly get up to 200F with the weather and radiator staying warm.

I’m running Liqui Moly 5-40. If engaged the clutch and moved the bike a few meter forwards I could get it in neutral.

I have the same issue with my KTM. The gear box is like a slot machine. Certain things line up and it won’t do what you want it to. Sometimes manual cars have the same problem getting in reverse and you have to goose the clutch a little.

The S1000rr 2009 to 2018 engine and tranny is fairly simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode