Calling all aftermarket seat owners - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Location: Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a treefort
Garage
Calling all aftermarket seat owners

After doing a forum search for seats I found its most people looking to buy or sell seats or seat cowls. I'm looking for some feedback on the various aftermarket seat options for the S1000RR.

I know @CYCLE_MONKEY loves the Sargent seats and has recommended them a few times. He also does long rides so I know when he says its a comfy seat that it carries some weight. I'm just curious if anyone else out there has tried other options and can provide some feedback on their experience and how much it's changed the comfort of riding longer distances. The science behind it is that our OEM seat foam is not supportive and restricts blood flow to our butt therefore causing the soreness for those of us who ride long distances and use an RR for touring purposes. I can attest to this as I recently did a long ride and I needed 2 days for the lingering soreness to go away.

So please provide your opinion of what option you chose and maybe post up some pictures to show what colour options you chose. Show off those seats!

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 AM

I'm on my 3rd Saddleman (3 bikes), if that tells you anything. I appreciate the tailbone relief channel a lot and the gel is very comfy.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 PM

The M seat I did a track day with supposedly made the 2020 S1k seat height 33 inches.
WAY too tall for me, having a short inseam and coming from the 31.7 stock height on my other bikes that I have zero issues with.

So, what's the shortest seat available, and what's the resulting seat height on the 2020 S1k?

Last edited by 19s1k; 08-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:22 PM

Padded bicycle shorts. The end!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:35 PM

Garage
I am in the market for another seat for my 2020 RR M that is taller with more padding (a street seat). The extra height will take a degree or two off the knee bend, which is always welcome. Something that looks like the existing M seat would be perfect.

Last edited by Tom Bernhardt; 08-20-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Location: Thunderhill, Sonoma Raceway, Redwood Road, Hwy 9, Hwy 1, Berryessa, HWY 175, HWY 253, Lucas Valley
Garage
Might help people provide a more succinct response if you can tell us what exactly you're looking for in a seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageS1000RR View Post
After doing a forum search for seats I found its most people looking to buy or sell seats or seat cowls. I'm looking for some feedback on the various aftermarket seat options for the S1000RR.

I know @CYCLE_MONKEY loves the Sargent seats and has recommended them a few times. He also does long rides so I know when he says its a comfy seat that it carries some weight. I'm just curious if anyone else out there has tried other options and can provide some feedback on their experience and how much it's changed the comfort of riding longer distances. The science behind it is that our OEM seat foam is not supportive and restricts blood flow to our butt therefore causing the soreness for those of us who ride long distances and use an RR for touring purposes. I can attest to this as I recently did a long ride and I needed 2 days for the lingering soreness to go away.

So please provide your opinion of what option you chose and maybe post up some pictures to show what colour options you chose. Show off those seats!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
I been looking at what to do about the seat also... I think I am leaning to trying Spencers Seat Mods (Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods). I haven't reached out to him yet, but will probably do over the winter. I do 8 to 10 hour rides on the weekends when I can and my a$$ use to kill me. I found a temporary solution that has helped a lot for now... I had a D30 back protector laying around that I don't use... I cut it up to fit the pattern of the padded area for the moto-skiveez shorts I wear and duct taped them to the shorts. When sitting on the bike with leathers on I don't even notice the extra padding, and it has removed the majority of the discomfort after many hours riding were at least my a$$ is why I have to stop riding.
SavageS1000RR likes this.

2020 BMW S1000RR M Package
2017 BMW S1000R (sold)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageS1000RR View Post

From your signature, it looks like your current bike is a 2018, correct? Seems like a lot of people are chiming in about 2020 seats which are quite different and have no options for aftermarket as of now. Custom is the only current option and what I chose to do.

On my 15, I chose custom seat as well, see pictured. I just sold my 15 with the stock seat and will be selling the seat that's pictured so if you think you'd be interested in it, PM me.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 AM

I'm with @PNorris on the padded cycling knicks. They are a cost effective alternative to spending big $$$ on a custom seat
SavageS1000RR and PNorris like this.

2018 BMW S1000RR - Black Storm Metalic

Just remember...

It doesn't matter if it's torqued to spec or cross threaded. Tight is tight!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Location: Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a treefort
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bernhardt View Post
I am in the market for another seat for my 2020 RR M that is taller with more padding (a street seat). The extra height will take a degree or two off the knee bend, which is always welcome. Something that looks like the existing M seat would be perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19s1k View Post
The M seat I did a track day with supposedly made the 2020 S1k seat height 33 inches.
WAY too tall for me, having a short inseam and coming from the 31.7 stock height on my other bikes that I have zero issues with.

So, what's the shortest seat available, and what's the resulting seat height on the 2020 S1k?

I have a 2018 so I'm looking for owners of non 2020 bikes that have replaced their seats with something other than OEM and their feedback. I've heard a lot of people say Sargent seats are wonderful and heard others say that Gel seats like the Luis Moto seats aren't very good because gel retains heat and is heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Johnny View Post
Might help people provide a more succinct response if you can tell us what exactly you're looking for in a seat.
I'm at this point looking for peoples feedback on the seats they've purchased and why they like them. This way I can make a decision based on the feedback of other people. I just want a seat that won't make my a$$ sore after 8+ hours of riding in a day. Short trips are fine its those long day or weekend rides that start to hurt a bit. I don't do trips very often that are longer than a couple days but the seat would also help with that when/if I do.

I like the idea of padded bicycle shorts though, this is maybe a good temporary solution until a more permanent one can be decided upon.

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode