BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2020 S1000RR M (Blue tooth issue)

9K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  aceves2434 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced any issue with the blue tooth connectivity of the bike. I had no issue connecting my iphone and Sena 30K to the bike but after a few rides, I have noticed that if my phone is in my back pocket while riding my music cuts in and out. For a few rides I placed it in the inside pocket of my jacket and it seems that the connection was better. I understand electronic interference and I'm sure the bike is putting out a lot, just trying to find if anyone else has had connection issues when using the bike's interface.

#2 ·
Mine works fine either on my X-Grip or in my inside jacket pocket. Note that while the Bluetooth connection persists, functionality is turned off if you go into any of the Race Pro modes. This is a terrible design restriction/mistake, IMO.

I've heard someone else somewhere complain about Bluetooth connection dropping with the phone too deep in their stuff. Experiment with the location. Again, my X-Grip not only solves this problem but makes it accessible for functions not available via the TFT console.

#3 ·
I have the exact same issue. music cuts in and out very frequently. I have cardo pactalk slim. No issue with connecting. I have been not connecting to the TFT since the first couple of days that I got the bike back in June, but thought I would give it another try last night because the recent update to the BMW Connected App now lets you import GPX files. Today's ride I am back to not using the TFT... I just connect helmet to phone and get clear music with no cutouts. I ride with my phone in the inner chest pocket of my jacket as it fits best there.... I did also try in an outer pocket with TFT, but no real improvement. :frown2:

#5 ·
I have the Packtalk Slim JBL too. Great device, BTW.

I have it paired directly to the phone as 1 and to the RR as 2. I don't listen to music while riding, but do use it for Nav, my radar detector app, and only the most important phone call, at least when it's on my X-Grip for access. I frankly like the phone Nav better than the BMW Nav, though it has the twisty route feature that I've used a few times.

I haven't had the connection problem you've experienced.

#7 ·
When I was selling BMWs, the TFT option was just coming out on the GS. I experimented with connection quality and found that if you had the phone behind the rider(ie backpack, rear pocket, pannier, pillion, etc), connection wasn't reliable. Since the TFTs came out on touring oriented bikes first, and they all were purchased with tank bags, customers were told to put the phone in tank bag for more reliable connections. Never heard about any post-sale issues or complaints. I don't sell bikes any longer, but would imagine the same conditions exist on the new RR.

I have a BMW Nav V mounted to the steering yoke and have it connected to my phone and Cardo unit. I keep all valuables in a Kriega backpack while riding and have had zero drops in connection on either BT unit.

Just my experience on the subject.:smile2::smile2:

#8 ·
Confirmed same problems with BT connectivity. I have noticed that when I keep my phone in my front pants pockets I seem to have this problem 100% of the time. I normally ride with my phone in my chest pocket in my jacket now and that solves the issue most of the time. I have noticed that on occasion when I am riding with one arm leaning on the tank in front of my phone the issue will return until I reposition my arm. I think one of the main issues is that BT is a pretty slow RF technology to begin with and when you have the bike acting like a hub between your phone and helmet you have introduced one more latency hop and unless you have pretty clear signal you are bound to experience issues as it not only transmitting data from your phone to the bike’s BT radio but then turning around and retransmitting that back to your helmet. Remember it not just audio that is being sent but also other data from the BMW connected app as well (GPS/Nav/Speedlimit).

#11 ·
I would imagine that the BT antenna is in the TFT. Speaking of which, I also assume that the TFT has its own processor and control/config software - is more than just a display - that cooperatively communicates with the ECU (probably via canbus). Does anyone have an architectural description?

#13 ·
Having similar issues with 2020 M Sport model New iPhone 11 Pro Max and Schuberth C4 with built in intercom. Can get system all connected and working listening to music and nav works fine until a phone call comes in or you make a call then the whole system disconnects after the call ends. BMW have come up with some BS that the system only works 100% with BMW intercom and Helmet so I loaned a BMW set up and that had similar issues.

Bike is great but the Bluetooth TFT has system sucks. Been promised an upgrade is coming in March.

#14 · (Edited)
As of November 2019. I got the most recent software update of the bike and phone app. It works great if your phone and headset aren't directly connected together and the bike controls everything. I go thru this motion after everything is paired to the bike.

Assuming your phone is on.

Turn on headset.
Manually disconnect headset from phone.
Turn on bike
bike will pair to both.

After this motion, I keep my phone in my pocket and it works great. If you pick a song on the phone you have to go to the stereo in the bike's dash to get it to take over otherwise just use the dash to do everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.