Motonosity gives one-month review of his new 2020 RR - Page 7 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
I would highly recommend getting a traffic attorney for all speeding tickets. Never just pay ticket. Depending on number of tickets and severity you’ll likely pay way more in increased insurance rates if you do.

The whole system in the US is a giant revenue stream for local and state municipalities.
The reason I suggest an attorney instead of fighting it in court yourself is that you are an unknown in the “good old boys club.”
The attorneys know the prosecutors and judges and they see each other and work with each other weekly.
They are much more likely to want to deal with each other than regular Joe speeder.

I have gotten 2 tickets dismissed, 1 reduced to a muffler violation, and 1 currently in the court system. Only 1 was on a bike.

Attorney fees are usually flat fees, $100-$200, will probably have to pay court costs and maybe a fine. But what you are looking for is to avoid points on your record, to save money in the long run.
They really just want their money.

My current ticket was 59 in a 35. Attorney told me the county it was in can suspend your license for 60 days for anything 15 over. Said many people just pay the ticket and then a few weeks later get a letter in the mail informing them of their suspended license.
I do the same. It keeps my driving record clean despite many stops. At worst the attorney can usually negotiate a deferred adjudication where I pay the fine but the conviction will be dismissed if I don't get another conviction within 3-6 months.

I also can get warnings for most traffic stops instead of a ticket. There's a technique and I've more experience than I would like to admit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
The video showing two bikes side by side in 4th gear doing roll-on from low rpms, unless I am mistaken, that doesn't really indicate anything useful due to differences in gearing and red line (which plays into where the power is), except if you are next to your buddy, and you're both in 4th on the exact same bikes ...
afaik, it does indicate that you're breaching a speed limit and the fact that it's public on youtube gives police easy way to find people responsible.
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
sounds like a lot of hassle
Very easy.
Call/email the attorney and discuss. Pay them. Wait for the results.

No going to court, etc.
My current ticket has been continued 3 times. I have not appeared once or spent any time other than the initial phone call.
They handle everything.

You’re either going to pay the ticket, fight the ticket yourself (big hassle and time waster) or pay the attorney to fight the ticket.
The benefit to the attorney is keeping your driving record clean(er) and insurance rates down.

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Very easy.

No going to court, etc.
My current ticket has been continued 3 times. I have not appeared once or spent any time other than the initial phone call.
They handle everything.

You’re either going to pay the ticket, fight the ticket yourself (big hassle and time waster) or pay the attorney to fight the ticket.
The benefit to the attorney is keeping your driving record clean(er) and insurance rates down.
In CA traffic citations count against your record citation date to citation date for traffic school. Having an attorney delay things won't help. The point will go on your record. I could have delayed things myself without an attorney but the result would have e been the same.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
Quote:
Very easy.

No going to court, etc.
They handle everything.

In CA traffic citations count against your record citation date to citation date for traffic school. Having an attorney delay things won't help. The point will go on your record. I could have delayed things myself without an attorney but the result would have e been the same.
I understand.
That comment was not to show that my attorney just delays and then pleads guilty, but rather to point out the hassle free experience. He has been to court 3 times on my behalf (I’m sure he goes most days for multiple clients) and I have not been there once.

This ticket was in a very tough county, attorney informed me at the outset that he may not be able to get it to a non-moving violation but thought he get it reduced to 9 over, which will be the first moving violation on my record in years, even though I’ve had 4 tickets in that time. But way better than 59 in a 35.

The three previous tickets were in Ohio.
However, had I got those same tickets in NC (where I currently live) and just paid them - I would be 3 points away from losing my license and have 12 insurance points.

You can look at the pics to see the likely financial damage through insurance rate hikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14BA7E1F-8B4B-4543-A383-E908A2823A6C_1566775136117.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	202506   Click image for larger version

Name:	EF633E48-3355-41D6-9A3B-6DEDAC72BE3B_1566775147476.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	202508  
wfo439 likes this.
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:57 PM
GJB

In CA you can also pay an attorney around a $100 to make the ticket get dismissed.
techno_violet likes this.
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
afaik, it does indicate that you're breaching a speed limit and the fact that it's public on youtube gives police easy way to find people responsible.
I'm not trying to defend anything, but the problem is that deep fake videos are a thing now. The police need to witness it first hand. They generally won't do anything about a supposed video. (Unless it's about threatening a school shooting ...)
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I'm not trying to defend anything, but the problem is that deep fake videos are a thing now. The police need to witness it first hand. They generally won't do anything about a supposed video. (Unless it's about threatening a school shooting ...)

You’re still lucky over there. In some European countries the video is enough evidence and when they find the rider it’s bye bye drivers license for months or a year plus a fine in percentage of your income. And can be jail........

So you’re still lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:03 AM

The cops in Australia will just fine you if they feel like it. No reason needed. All about revenue raising. Lower the speed limits for "safety". Its a load of sh1t. Its about making money.
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampj8 View Post
You’re still lucky over there. In some European countries the video is enough evidence and when they find the rider it’s bye bye drivers license for months or a year plus a fine in percentage of your income. And can be jail........

So you’re still lucky
Swiss is a big exception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode