Motonosity gives one-month review of his new 2020 RR - Page 6 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
didnt forget to say it, its listed under my avatar

i grew up in various cities across america, and also lived in a handful of other countries (1st world).... i stopped in thailand for a 3 week stay as part of my traveling around the world and fell in love with it, never left, (sold all my stuff back home over the internet) been here just under 7 years now... yes the roads here are like a mad max movie, absolutely nuts and no one follows any sort of traffic laws or common sense... in some ways its horrible... and ill probably die from it.... but in other ways its amazing, i can ride how the **** i want, as fast as i want, every day anytime i feel like it... and for the most part no one is ever going to stop me or hassle me about it unless i get boxed in at a checkpoint.

i cant imagine moving back to a western country and having to always watch my back for flashing lights everywhere i go if i just feel like getting on the throttle a little.
Well, just don't move back to Anglo speaking countries.

There are plenty of countries in central Europe where you can have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
does your insurance cover an accident on the track? mine does not.

also most tracks simple dont have the distance to allow high speed prolonged runs.

track is great if you want to corner... pretty boring if you enjoy going fast.

You clearly haven't done many trackdays mate.

If you have a chance try Sepang, Spa, Mugello.

Believe me, going fast there will at some point bore you to death. I have been there, done that...
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:55 AM

I only ride the road. I care not for the track at all and find it boring. That part makes no sense to pretty much everyone.

I like the road because it is for ever changing. Such a dynamic environment. Which for some is the opposite of what they want. But it's what I like. It makes it much more dangerous when you have potential hazards like dirt, gravel, trees, animals and other road users. Danger is a big factor in why I ride and going to the track takes that element away to a small degree. I am not saying I am more superior because I do it on the road and track riders are any less great. They are smarter than I. Some will argue and say but making it safer to go fast can only be a good thing. And it is. But it just doesn't suit me.

The other part is the adventure. Doing 4 day trips with a bunch of mates. You see so much over the journey. Crossing borders and staying in pubs. You create memories and stories. The things you get to see and some of the trying conditions you must go through. The track is just the same lap after lap. Chasing a lap time. Its so boring. But again that is just me. I know it is the best thing you can do for a lot of riders. Track riders would think doing 12 hours a day for 4 days is completely stupid on a sports bike that was designed to be on a race track. We aren't sitting on the highway for 12 hours. We are hitting mountain roads and country back roads all day. Riding flat out like its isle of man. The feeling you get after 4 days of just flat out mayhem through the mountains would be similar to the buzz of a track day.

I had the same mentality when riding to work. Riding to work down a 4 lane freeway doing double the limit and cutting in and out of traffic. I did that for a while. But quickly realised that this ends in 3 ways. A coffin, a wheelchair or a jail cell. I still have the urge to do it now every day. The adrenaline is what does it. It's so damn fun. But it's so stupid and putting yours and others lives at risk is not worth it at all. Riding in the hills where you are on your own on a deserted mountain road with no traffic. At least if you make a mistake it is pretty much on you. I can live with that. The speed limits in AUS are so slow because of all the retards who can't drive and the Police having a superiority complex. Its complete bs over here in that regard. I ride to my own limit pretty much. That doesn't mean I just speed around every where. But I do what I feel is comfortable for the road I am on, the conditions and the traffic level. The Police won't take that as a valid reason but I'll take that chance.

post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:22 PM

I'm with you, Benny...I love the roads. You get to see things like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1788 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	202488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	202490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910 (768x1024).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	202492  
bennymx and techno_violet like this.
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:56 PM
cjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
I only ride the road. I care not for the track at all and find it boring. That part makes no sense to pretty much everyone.
The Police won't take that as a valid reason but I'll take that chance.
I ride on the road to get my fix between track days and see things like flyryder posted. Tickets are just part of the cost of doing business!
bennymx likes this.
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc View Post
I ride on the road to get my fix between track days and see things like flyryder posted. Tickets are just part of the cost of doing business!
UK has 12 points penalty system

smallest speeding is 3 points
bennymx likes this.
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:47 PM
cjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
UK has 12 points penalty system

smallest speeding is 3 points
I have to admit I'm not sure how it works here. Maybe I'll ruin my luck by saying this, but most of the time the police just give me a warning. When I do get a ticket I can usually go to traffic school so it doesn't show up on my record or insurance. State troopers always give me a ticket, but it's been years since a county or city cop has given me a ticket. I even talked my way out of a ticket for passing over a double yellow!

Edit: I've taken this thread far off course - sorry.
bennymx likes this.
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:34 PM

I would highly recommend getting a traffic attorney for all speeding tickets. Never just pay ticket. Depending on number of tickets and severity you’ll likely pay way more in increased insurance rates if you do.

The whole system in the US is a giant revenue stream for local and state municipalities.
The reason I suggest an attorney instead of fighting it in court yourself is that you are an unknown in the “good old boys club.”
The attorneys know the prosecutors and judges and they see each other and work with each other weekly.
They are much more likely to want to deal with each other than regular Joe speeder.

I have gotten 2 tickets dismissed, 1 reduced to a muffler violation, and 1 currently in the court system. Only 1 was on a bike.

Attorney fees are usually flat fees, $100-$200, will probably have to pay court costs and maybe a fine. But what you are looking for is to avoid points on your record, to save money in the long run.
They really just want their money.

My current ticket was 59 in a 35. Attorney told me the county it was in can suspend your license for 60 days for anything 15 over. Said many people just pay the ticket and then a few weeks later get a letter in the mail informing them of their suspended license.
post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
I would highly recommend getting a traffic attorney for all speeding tickets. Never just pay ticket. Depending on number of tickets and severity you’ll likely pay way more in increased insurance rates if you do.

The whole system in the US is a giant revenue stream for local and state municipalities.
The reason I suggest an attorney instead of fighting it in court yourself is that you are an unknown in the “good old boys club.”
The attorneys know the prosecutors and judges and they see each other and work with each other weekly.
They are much more likely to want to deal with each other than regular Joe speeder.

I have gotten 2 tickets dismissed, 1 reduced to a muffler violation, and 1 currently in the court system. Only 1 was on a bike.

Attorney fees are usually flat fees, $100-$200, will probably have to pay court costs and maybe a fine. But what you are looking for is to avoid points on your record, to save money in the long run.
They really just want their money.

My current ticket was 59 in a 35. Attorney told me the county it was in can suspend your license for 60 days for anything 15 over. Said many people just pay the ticket and then a few weeks later get a letter in the mail informing them of their suspended license.
sounds like a lot of hassle
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:45 PM

The video showing two bikes side by side in 4th gear doing roll-on from low rpms, unless I am mistaken, that doesn't really indicate anything useful due to differences in gearing and red line (which plays into where the power is), except if you are next to your buddy, and you're both in 4th on the exact same bikes ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode