My humble opinion of the 2020 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My humble opinion of the 2020

Just my opinion of the 2020 S1000RR...
So i was lucky enough to be one of the first ones to ride CSS's 2020s for their maiden voyage on the track this past Monday and Tuesday. Now, keep in mind, I'm probably no where near the riding level of some of you guys so my comments may not carry as much weight, this is just what i was able to notice riding the new 2020 M package. For starters, the TFT display is B-E-A-U-tiful! Seriously, i think it's pretty badass. Now on to what really matters. In level 4 I was a lot more comfortable and able to "push" a little harder on the track. I finally noticed the flat spot people have been talking about(i didn't really notice it riding in level 3). It's definitely there even after the BMW update(i was told that these bikes were updated and fully prepped). It's crazy, you roll on the throttle in second at about 5k and yes it's accelerating but at 9k suddenly it's like afterburners kick on and the thing just rockets forward. Obviously it's lighter than my 16' because these have full track fairings but still, even compared to the 19's i rode last season with CSS(also with track fairings), they are lighter, and as many have stated, more flickable. The CF wheels are vary naaaaaaassss.... There's not much for me to say about the DDC, my 16' has it and i haven't taken that to the track so i can't give a good comparison about that. And in all honesty, my focus was on learning not really on "test riding". I just tried to make little mental notes throughout both days about the bike.This bike does however have a bad neutral problem. If you thought finding neutral was tough on previous S1000RRs, it's even worse on the 2020. Maybe these bikes were just too new? They all had between 600 and 1000 miles roughly... maybe some things were still "tight" and not "broken in enough"? I dunno, either way, it wasn't until the last three sessions Tuesday that i was able to successfully find N by going into 2nd and literally tapping the shifter down to get neutral. Overall, it's a very beautiful machine(i didn't like the looks at first but it grew on me). It rides and handles very well, but honestly, me personally, i wasn't blown away by it as i thought i would be. Im impressed yes, but not enough to trade in my 16 for the new hotness. I haven't taken my 16 to the track and i haven't ridden the 2020 on the street so i say take my comments with a grain of salt. If you love it great, it IS an awesome machine, I'm not saying i didn't like it, I'm just saying i didn't love it enough to go get one.
A B, Xtremsiege2, AndyHP4 and 4 others like this.

16 S1000RR - current
12 S1000RR - traded in
06 CBR600RR - Track Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Member

Its always good to have an opinion by someone that is not star struck by the new-ness of 2020 Model Year designation.

The K67 is designed around a track day. When you really push it hard, the character of the rear grip really shows its advantages over the K46 platform. The entry feel and wear on the front tire is also balanced alot better. This all however is dependent on tire choice, pressures, type of riding style, and many other variables that go into the full balance of road racing.

Hopefully everyone at the CSS riding experience can enjoy and learn the K67 since they now offer it.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Thank you for you humble opinion. The 2020 is still a fantastic bike even with all its flaws. I enjoy riding my very much so.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:34 PM

Nice you took the time to write this. It seems BMW aimed the 2020 like a laser at the track, which is fine...but...there's a population of street riders/canyon riders that may never see the track. My hope is BMW takes a few thumbtacks out of their head and delivers a 2021 model that will satisfy everyone, street and track. If the comments about the seat on the M bike are correct, I cannot see doing 300 mountain canyon miles on the 2020, and if that (among other things, such as the overall design) aren't given a re-boot in 2021, well, there's still the prior generation that is still excellent on its own merits.

Good post...thanks.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post
Nice you took the time to write this. It seems BMW aimed the 2020 like a laser at the track, which is fine...but...there's a population of street riders/canyon riders that may never see the track. My hope is BMW takes a few thumbtacks out of their head and delivers a 2021 model that will satisfy everyone, street and track. If the comments about the seat on the M bike are correct, I cannot see doing 300 mountain canyon miles on the 2020, and if that (among other things, such as the overall design) aren't given a re-boot in 2021, well, there's still the prior generation that is still excellent on its own merits.

Good post...thanks.
Honestly I don't think the bike is as track focused as you make it out to be. I know of two track specific riders that have complained about the riding position. One said he had trouble getting his elbow in front of his knee. He still went extremely fast. The other thought the clip ons needed to be lower and the ride height lowered. Both thought huge improvements could be made with minimal effort. RE: the seat? My '15 was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever owned. On rides of less than 180 miles broken up into 3 parts, I'd always be dying because of the seat and riding position the last 60 miles. On the 2020 my butt didn't get sore till 2 3/4s hours into the ride. A 15 minute gas stop and I was good to go for the rest of the ride. (another 2 hours) Height may or may not be a determining factor. I'm 5-10. I think the seat is fine. Better than the HP4 and '15. The only other 2020 owner I know is at least 6-1" and 15 pounds heavier. He hates the seat. You are the only one that can figure out what works for you and your riding. You should know not to believe everything you read. When the bikes becomes readily available, ride it and then decide.
BMW_388 and Kiev1981 like this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Good post...thanks.
As an older rider who only does the very occasional track day I find the M Sport pretty amazing on the road. Traded in a Ducati V4 for it. Being in Australia we don't have the flat spot problem. Found neutral from kilometre 1 but that may be a bit unusual based on other comments. I find the bike comfortable and the inline 4 power delivery is so linear from low revs even though it may lack "character" and sound compared to the V4. The suspension on my base V4 was brutal on bumpy country roads, the suspension on the RR is so much better for me. The only negative visually is the cat which is so dominant, will have to crowdfund to buy the full Akra which is pretty expensive in Australia.
bennymx, McRR and Kiev1981 like this.

Last edited by stefanus; 08-01-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
Honestly I don't think the bike is as track focused as you make it out to be. I know of two track specific riders that have complained about the riding position. One said he had trouble getting his elbow in front of his knee. He still went extremely fast. The other thought the clip ons needed to be lower and the ride height lowered. Both thought huge improvements could be made with minimal effort. RE: the seat? My '15 was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever owned. On rides of less than 180 miles broken up into 3 parts, I'd always be dying because of the seat and riding position the last 60 miles. On the 2020 my butt didn't get sore till 2 3/4s hours into the ride. A 15 minute gas stop and I was good to go for the rest of the ride. (another 2 hours) Height may or may not be a determining factor. I'm 5-10. I think the seat is fine. Better than the HP4 and '15. The only other 2020 owner I know is at least 6-1" and 15 pounds heavier. He hates the seat. You are the only one that can figure out what works for you and your riding. You should know not to believe everything you read. When the bikes becomes readily available, ride it and then decide.
Well, you make a good point (as usual!)...we're both 5'10" and the seat on my '17 is totally comfortable. About a week ago, I rode about 300 miles in the mountains with absolute comfort. Maybe weight has something to do with it? I'm 143 pounds in a birthday suit...

As for "track-focused", I only say that because virtually every media review, in print or in video, extols the bike, but does so on the track. Not once have I seen or read anything about the new 2020 being an exemplar of street/canyon riding excellence. Yet.

Enjoy!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Well, you make a good point (as usual!)...we're both 5'10" and the seat on my '17 is totally comfortable. About a week ago, I rode about 300 miles in the mountains with absolute comfort. Maybe weight has something to do with it? I'm 143 pounds in a birthday suit...

As for "track-focused", I only say that because virtually every media review, in print or in video, extols the bike, but does so on the track. Not once have I seen or read anything about the new 2020 being an exemplar of street/canyon riding excellence. Yet.

Enjoy!
Huge weight difference. I'm 195. All the reviews have been on track with BMW engineers at the ready for those that were unhappy. i don't recall any reviews of the bike on the street but I can hardly claim to have read them all. My experience with it on the street is it is far superior to my HP4 or my 2015 was in terms of comfort. Look for the next issue of Cycle World. They will have a liter bike comparison test. Don't know if they spent any time with the bikes on the street. The did test a stock 2020 at T-Hill with nary a BMW engineer in site.
flyryder likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:11 AM

I have not so much as sat on a new 2020 RR so today I can't comment on what I think of the bike.

I am going to Thunderbolt in New Jersey in a few weeks to ride one for the day - doing the BMW RR Experience using CSS bikes.

I am today riding a 2016 RR (my 3rd RR) it is track only as was my 2015 RR. My 2012 RR I rode on the street and decided after 3 years with it on the street - the street was not the place for me and the RR.

I had the opportunity to get the new RR - I decided to pass for the time being - for a few reasons - number one by the time I would have it set up the way I wanted this track season here in the northeast would have been pretty much over. Second I've been riding BMW's for a long time and have owned 7 new ones since 2004.

Several of those were either new models or new generation models and several of those had first year issues and because my 2016 runs really well I was not in a rush to get the new one.

I do expect to purchase one either late this fall or early next spring baring any real concerns.

I have read just about every post here from all of those that have a 2020. I've read most magazine reports and watched several videos on line.

I was offered to test ride one and declined because it would have been for a few miles down the road from my dealer and back - that would have provided me either very limited or no useful information.

When the BMW track day came up I signed up. For me this is going to be the very best test ride possible for my use of the bike. It is set up for the track - I will be riding on the track and I will only be riding the new RR on the track if and when I get one.

So my qualifications in regard to riding an RR - I do not race and do not foresee myself starting now - simply put racing is way too physical for this old rider - and I don't mean physical in the sense of actually riding - I mean too physical in the reality of crashing - my body just can't take a few crashes every season - a few crashes even the easiest low side will most likely put me out of commission.

Certainly doing track days puts me at risk of crashing but the risk is much easier to manage when I'm riding at 7 or 8/10 of my skill compared to riding at my limit trying to win races.

In a good year I do 30 track days this year maybe 25. I'm an okay rider can hold my own - certainly not the slowest rider and certainly not the fastest.

I do feel as though I know my way around a race track and am very comfortable riding at most tracks.

I think I have enough track miles(about 10K) on my RR's to know what to look for. Do I need or can I use all of what the RR has to offer - absolutely not. For me as long as I continue to ride a liter bike I feel the RR is one of the best offerings that make it relatively easy and safe to ride at my experience level.

Other riders that have way more experience will certainly be able to understand the abilities and possibilities of this bike better than me - but honestly that level of riding is for information only - I'm never going to get to that level. I love reading what the pro's say they can do with the bike but that is not reality for this rider so many performance milestones that they achieve really do not in the final decision making for me make a difference.

I also ride an R3 on the track as well and have many miles on that bike so I really do have a very good understanding of just how good all the electronics are on the BMW - the R3 has nothing - no ABS no slipper clutch - no electronics at all.

A few stats about me - I'm 5'7" 150 lbs. so right there is challenge number 1 I'm light for the stock suspension and have to realize that when I get on the bike CSS is providing.

I'm 62 in fair physical condition - have a blown rotator that I deal with 5 vertebrate in my neck are in bad shape and to top if off have a blown disc in my lower back - gee just writing this makes me cringe.

Really looking forward to my 2020 RR track day and will try to report back here what this okay rider experienced.
Elk, PittsDriver and wfo439 like this.

Bruce
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 AM

I'm with You

I'm with You Bruce !!!

The accumulation of Birthdays and every man has got to know his limitations.
Makes one realize I'm not a Racer and never will be but I sure have fun pretending to be one when I'm riding track days.

My motto;Keep Moving !!!
BruceV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode