My humble opinion of the 2020 - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
@SRod321 interested to read your review. My friends and I are going to ride the 2020 with CSS next week at NJMP.

What mode(s) were you riding in? The way you described the 9k power hit sounds like the way the previous bike feels in rain mode when it hits 11,500.
We started the first session in rain mode obviously but after that my bike was is road mode. I checked it each time i started it up. It's fun on the track, you'll be riding the M package models. What level are you doing?

16 S1000RR - current
12 S1000RR - traded in
06 CBR600RR - Track Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallj View Post
I commuted on my '20 for the first time last Friday and the thing that really stood out to me was how the bike didn't feel as fast as my 2010. The reality is, as demonstrated on the track, that my '20 is quite a bit quicker than the older model but it does it all smoothly and without drama. The '10 was a growling fire-breathing beast that let you know it was a mean son-of-a-bitch every step of the way. It was a very visceral and exciting bike to ride. The '20 is faster and more powerful but it doesn't really feel like it is. It's more refined at the cost of that visceral shock of the power on the 2010.

I guess if you want visceral, you will buy Italian and not German...
I agree with this. I have been commuting on the new 20 for a week. I went back to my 16 model and straight away I noticed the differences. The seat on my 16 feels like a lounge chair compared to that rock hard POS on the 20. The acceleration off the line and clutch take off is much better on my 16. It does have 55,000kms on it though. The 20 has around 1500. So it needs to break in. But the 16 handles like a truck. Feels so heavy and even when I am just riding to work not even leaning over. The 20 feels so light and nimble and this is a base model. Not the M. So it will be better with the M. The back to back comparison is quite noticeable.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRod321 View Post
We started the first session in rain mode obviously but after that my bike was is road mode. I checked it each time i started it up. It's fun on the track, you'll be riding the M package models. What level are you doing?
We'll be doing level 4 for the 3rd time.
Tom Bernhardt likes this.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
I just picked up my new S1000RR M Sport a few hours ago from the dealer. I'm also a level 4 at CSS and will be returning for the Sep 9/10 camp at Willow Springs.

It feels lighter and flickier than the 2018 RRs I've ridden at CSS. My normal daily rider is a K1300S - a great sport tourer, but obviously not in the same superbike class as the RR.

It will be several weeks before I get my first service and the 9K RPM limiter removed. I want to take it a bit slow for a while on the street anyway.

I'm pretty sure CSS doesn't flash their bikes. That means their fleet still has the US EPA throttle restrictions - very severe at low-mid revs, especially in gears 2 and 3. That's why you get a 2-stroke-like power wallop when you pass the highly-limited rev range.

The fix is a flash from one of our friends here like Floyd or Brent.
wfo439 and BMW_388 like this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRod321 View Post
We'll be doing level 4 for the 3rd time.
Cool! Let us know what you think of the new 2020. Lemme know if you felt the same way i did about it. Have fun ride safe!

16 S1000RR - current
12 S1000RR - traded in
06 CBR600RR - Track Bike
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
Did CSS yesterday at NJMP. The bike feels very small compared to my '15. In the pits I did notice how hard the seat was but on the track it was a non-issue.

Steering, turn-in and grip are astounding. The front end is hugely confidence inspiring. Turn 10 at NJMP is a decreasing radius right-hander that starts at about 80-100 mph and ends in a hairpin. The new bike felt amazing in this turn. I never once went wide.

During the initial CSS sessions where you're riding slower, I did feel the lack of power in the lower rev range. But once the pace picked up I never thought of it again.

I would NOT get the carbon fiber wheels if I were to get the new bike. One bike there had a cracked front wheel from a simple off-track excursion. As much as they may contribute to the steering feel that I liked, if they can't handle a race track environment, I can't see how they'd survive Pennsylvania's lousy roads.

I liked the bike and am glad I rode it. But I'm more comfortable on my '15. And I'm only 5'7". One of my buddies is 6'2" and he felt too big for the bike.

When the time comes to replace my bike, I'll consider the 2021 or 2022, but yesterday didn't make me want to ditch my '15 and drop $20k right NOW.
Elk likes this.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Did CSS yesterday at NJMP. The bike feels very small compared to my '15. In the pits I did notice how hard the seat was but on the track it was a non-issue.

Steering, turn-in and grip are astounding. The front end is hugely confidence inspiring. Turn 10 at NJMP is a decreasing radius right-hander that starts at about 80-100 mph and ends in a hairpin. The new bike felt amazing in this turn. I never once went wide.

During the initial CSS sessions where you're riding slower, I did feel the lack of power in the lower rev range. But once the pace picked up I never thought of it again.

I would NOT get the carbon fiber wheels if I were to get the new bike. One bike there had a cracked front wheel from a simple off-track excursion. As much as they may contribute to the steering feel that I liked, if they can't handle a race track environment, I can't see how they'd survive Pennsylvania's lousy roads.

I liked the bike and am glad I rode it. But I'm more comfortable on my '15. And I'm only 5'7". One of my buddies is 6'2" and he felt too big for the bike.

When the time comes to replace my bike, I'll consider the 2021 or 2022, but yesterday didn't make me want to ditch my '15 and drop $20k right NOW.
I'm a CSS Level 4 and the new RR feels much better than the 2018s I've ridden there. It does feel much smaller and lighter, but I'm 6'2" (210 athletic build) and find it a bit more comfortable than it's predecessor.

The power flat spot is a real problem and the only solution is to get a flash. If you don't want the flash, you probably don't want the new RR.

I'm surprised to hear about the broken CF wheel. They're supposedly stronger than the standard wheels. I also wonder what the rider could have hit that hard going off track. There's usually just gravel on most tracks in the runoff areas. It is amazingly costly though. Thankfully CSS has a special deal with BMW.

Last edited by Tom Bernhardt; 08-13-2019 at 07:27 PM.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bernhardt View Post

I'm surprised to hear about the broken CF wheel. They're supposedly stronger than the standard wheels. I also wonder what the rider could have hit that hard going off track. There's usually just gravel on most tracks in the runoff areas. It is amazingly costly though. Thankfully CSS has a special deal with BMW.
Exactly. The wheels may be stronger, but they're more brittle as well. CSS may have a deal with BMW, but they commented that the replacement wheel was going to cost them $3100.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Baron that's EXACTLY how i felt. I liked it too but i still enjoy my 16' and im not swayed enough to buy the new model, at least not right now. 3100 for a new CF wheel!? OUCH!!! Yeah, i think I'll pass lol!

16 S1000RR - current
12 S1000RR - traded in
06 CBR600RR - Track Bike
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Exactly. The wheels may be stronger, but they're more brittle as well. CSS may have a deal with BMW, but they commented that the replacement wheel was going to cost them $3100.
That just doesn't seem right when you can get a complete set of the Thyssen Kruo wheels for $3500. For the first time ever I purchased an extended warranty because it covered the wheels for 5 years. The policy was $600. That should cover multiple off road/track excursions should they occur. In 5 years it will be time for a new bike.
smash adams likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode