Who’s going to the BMW track day August 14 in NJ - Page 8 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvskd4 View Post
We talked in the classroom, I was wearing the black Heroic suit saying it shouldn’t have let you downshift while being on the throttle (according to tech discussion) - nice to meet ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah i remember! lol nice to meet you as well.

2020 BMW S1000RR M Package - On order.......
2015 BMW S1000RR Motorsport
2013 CBR 1000RR Tricolor *Sold*
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol *Sold*
2006 R6S *Sold*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:51 PM

A big THANK YOU to BMW and CSS for everything.
I've bought many liter bikes over the year, but was never was offered a demo on a track by a manufacturer.
That hospitality is most appreciated, and the experience makes me feel obligated to spend money with BMW and CSS in the future.
Respect.

First, hope the rider who went down in the wet turn is OK, with only their ego bruised.
I watched it happen right in front of me, and I'm sure it was rider error grabbing too much brake.
But, it begs the question: Aren't all these expensive electronic aids supposed to prevent this exact situation?

Before you flame me, I owned multiple liter bikes before electronics even debuted.
But, if these electronics don't prevent these kind of things, it makes me wonder why I'm spending 2 and 3 times what I used to for a new liter bike?

Thanks again to the BMW, CSS, and NJMP staff for everything. Much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I urged the top BMW executive at the event for BMW to offer a "track only" program to be done by the Dealers that will provide the Euro model's performance while maintain the factory warranty. I humbly and respectfully told her that I will not buy the new bike until one is available.
Along with an all black color option.
LeanIt likes this.

Last edited by 19s1k; 08-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19s1k View Post
A big THANK YOU to BMW and CSS for everything.
I've bought many liter bikes over the year, but was never was offered a demo on a track by a manufacturer.
That hospitality is most appreciated, and the experience makes me feel obligated to spend money with BMW and CSS in the future.
Respect.

First, hope the rider who went down in the wet turn is OK, with only their bruised ego.
I watched it happen right in front of me, and I'm sure it was rider error grabbing too much brake.
But, it begs the question: Aren't all these expensive electronic aids supposed to prevent this exact situation?

Before you flame me, I owned multiple liter bikes before electronics even debuted.
But, if these electronics don't prevent these kind of things, it makes me wonder why I'm spending 2 and 3 times what I used to for a new liter bike?

Thanks again to the BMW, CSS, and NJMP staff for everything. Much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I urged the top BMW executive at the event for BMW to offer a "track only" program to be done by the Dealers that will provide the Euro model's performance while maintain the factory warranty. I humbly and respectfully told her that I will not buy the new bike until one is available.
Along with an all black color option.
I think the issue was not the rider out riding his bike...but out riding his skill level...aids only assist, you still need to ride the bike ya know?

Plus i heard that this rider was hanging back away from the group lead and gunned it into the turn making it break loose.

Now for the instructor that went down earlier in the day...no idea what happened there. He just laid it down and the next thing i know i saw the bike upside down mid air.

2006 R6S *Sold*

post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOrlando View Post
I think the issue was not the rider out riding his bike...but out riding his skill level...aids only assist, you still need to ride the bike ya know?

Plus i heard that this rider was hanging back away from the group lead and gunned it into the turn making it break loose.

Now for the instructor that went down earlier in the day...no idea what happened there. He just laid it down and the next thing i know i saw the bike upside down mid air.
I agree, I think a lot of people there had never done a track day despite it saying "experienced." We were going so slow to moderate pace you didn't even need track experience to keep up, very little lean going on, just enough to feel the bike out and it felt super comfortable.

BTW, where were the pictures posted from the track day?

///Xtremsiege2
2016 B&RR s1000rr Premium
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Exactly....

I think there were 2-3 photographers but I only had a chance to talk to one. On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CrossCountr...epa=SEARCH_BOX

They already uploaded pics. let me know if you are able to locate any others.
Xtremsiege2 and Kiev1981 like this.

2006 R6S *Sold*
post #76 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceV View Post
BMW trying to accommodate many riders of various skill level and use of the bike seems to have been the big challenge - like you I really have no interest in the road worthiness of the RR - the new rider position - the new TFT screen - the new electronics package - the new engine yes I'm very interested - the CF wheels, all of it as it relates to being ridden on the track.
Based upon the riding that we did, it was hard to tell how much of a skill gap existed. It sounds like some were happy with the pace, for me it is the electronics packages that potentially set this bike apart from the Aprilia. At the pace that we traveled, I was unable to evaluate the electronics package, even in rain mode which I would have thought would kick in much more easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceV View Post
I find it interesting that a coach from CSS would consider a track rider wanting to ride the bike like you would at a track event or one of their CSS schools as "thrashing" it.

I've been to CSS and every level I took the coaches followed you and paced you out to let you learn - and as you got better the coaches started to up the pace and continued to observe your progress or lack of it.
To be fair, I don't think that he was necessarily concerned with us running the bike too hard (abusing the bike). I kinda took it more that they wanted ultimate control if you would. Thinking about it further, from their [CSS] normal perspective of how you mention them running their classes (a coach per rider, constantly evaluating), it kind of explains the feeling that I was getting. They wanted to keep control of EVERYBODY, at all times. Coming in, I was HOPING that they would scatter coaches throughout the track to observe, and if they found someone over riding their skill level (endangering themselves and others) to pull them off the track for a discussion or pull their keys if really bad.

In my case, I was just hoping to ride the bike closer to my normal track pace to see if this was truly a bike that I was interested in owning. I could not ever see myself using a bike like this on the street, been there, tried that - as such I had zero interest in how it handled at street speeds.
post #77 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremsiege2 View Post
However if you really wanted to take the new s1000rr for a spin before buying one, maybe you should've invested in the school which was there 2 days prior.
I could not agree more with this statement. Truth is, I had been waiting for CSS to update their fleet of S1000RR's and then thought that I would likely do as you suggest given that I was interested in their training anyway. Meanwhile, this opportunity came along and I thought that it would provide me what I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremsiege2 View Post
-This was a free event, less your transportation there.
-There was no security deposit. One person actually did dump a bike on the last session.
-This event wasn't something they had ever done to my knowledge, this was Bmw's first stab and we had awful weather in the morning and mid afternoon.
Again, I mostly agree with you. "Free" is a tough sale on me only because I consider my time valuable. You are correct that participants paid nothing to attend, but as stated earlier, I personally would have rather paid a fee for the event and had a chance to ride their machinery as I wished. Maybe a $300 trackday, whereby you were assigned an S1000RR to ride considerately (see my comment in a different post - non-endangering to self or others) but more on pace with individual skill level.

The fact that there was a crash goes to show the vast skill level differences that existed at the event.

First time event.... as far as I know, this was a first as well. My post was meant to provide what I hoped was valuable feedback to BMW. I think the big "lessons" here for BMW from my perspective are:

1) get yourself organised ... you are a premier company that produces a premier product. This event was reflective of a premier company in it being all inclusive, but not so much with the disorganization.

2) determine what you desire the event to be, and communicate, communicate, communicate. If what we experienced hit the target of what BMW was hoping for, then it is obvious that I was outside the target demographic for the day. I can live with that, I just wish it would have been communicated in advance as I would have left someone else fill my spot.
Xtremsiege2 likes this.

Last edited by LeanIt; 08-16-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
post #78 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Here are the pictures from the event.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Q4d_8T1q3EKGKc
Xtremsiege2 and 19s1k like this.

2014 HP4 Comp #5961
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode