Who’s going to the BMW track day August 14 in NJ - Page 7 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:55 AM

Totally agree it wouldnít have been worth all that trouble, but I live in northern NJ so it was worth it for me.

Bike wise Iíd say the main focus of the new model was improved geometry and ergonomics. BMW spent a lot of time talking about the updated design & benefits (bike stability, improved rider position, reduced tire wear, etc). Then obviously there was talk about the engine and variable valve timing, which appears to kick in around 8500-9000 rpm ... which reminds me the quickshifter/autoblipper seemed really smooth. Nate Kern emphasized how much more progressive the braking was, which is definitely true, easier to modulate. Menu setup was intuitive and offered a lot of customization, plus there are numerous display modes to choose from. Iím sure other riders who attended will chime in about things Iím forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BruceV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvskd4 View Post
Totally agree it wouldnít have been worth all that trouble, but I live in northern NJ so it was worth it for me.

Bike wise Iíd say the main focus of the new model was improved geometry and ergonomics. BMW spent a lot of time talking about the updated design & benefits (bike stability, improved rider position, reduced tire wear, etc). Then obviously there was talk about the engine and variable valve timing, which appears to kick in around 8500-9000 rpm ... which reminds me the quickshifter/autoblipper seemed really smooth. Nate Kern emphasized how much more progressive the braking was, which is definitely true, easier to modulate. Menu setup was intuitive and offered a lot of customization, plus there are numerous display modes to choose from. Iím sure other riders who attended will chime in about things Iím forgetting.

Don't get me wrong if I lived closer for sure I would have been there even for the limited seat time. If my body holds up I will get a new RR either late this winter or early next spring. I'm now thinking I just may keep my 16 as well. Use the 16 for rain days or for colder days.

I'm really lazy and hate changing tires if wet or cold out. And now with the CF wheels on the new RR by the time I purchase an extra set of wheels and associated components and tires it just may make more sense to keep the 16. Plus the risk factor goes up when riding in wet or cold weather so keeping the older RR may be the way to go.

Bruce
post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 PM

S1000RR Experience... Thoughts and Impressions

New poster to the forum, but I thought that I'd share my thoughts on the experience. For background, I am a veteran trackday junkie, typically running in the slower half of the advanced group. It should also be noted that I have done a few other events somewhat similar to this in the past, to me it's helpful to get a ride on a bike to confirm where you do (or do NOT) want to spend your money.

WARNING: LONG

A friend of mine is also an advanced trackday rider and S1000RR enthusiast; as a matter of fact I believe that he has owned every generation S1000RR. Knowing that I have been eyeballing the Aprilia's, he informed me that I REALLY, REALLY needed to give the S1000RR a shot before pulling the trigger on the Ape and I was very happy to be accepted for the S1000RR Experience.

I will outline my thoughts/experience from the top.

Pre-Registration Details
Outside of knowing that BMW was putting on the S1000RR experience, there seemed to be somewhat a shroud of secrecy over what it was, outside the date and that it would be at NJMP. It was not even noted if the event was on Lightening or Thunderbolt actually. Additionally, it seemed that nobody could declare with certainty how many sessions one would get to ride the bike. Would it be "open track", or a follow the leader type of event.

As the event neared and the weather appeared iffy, I pondered if this was going to be worth the time... vacation time, travel time, expenses, etc. It was of real concern to me that I really didn't have a strong idea on what to expect and deep down I was nervous that I would be let down... at the same time, I REALLY wanted to see how the bike compared to the 2019 RSV4 which coincidentally I had ridden on track as well. The evening before the event at 5:15 ET I get an email from BMW, by this point most of us were likely already on the road and would not have noticed the email. Inside it gave an agenda, but still didn't really mention the details of the "ride experience". My point here is that providing more detail, and earlier would have been greatly preferred.

Morning Of
The morning of, I arrive at NJMP about 7:30am. I sign in with the guard and he tells me that we are doing registration AND breakfast at the Pub. While welcomed and a nice touch, I had already eaten as breakfast as this detail was not communicated earlier. I asked the guard, "I assume that we are using Thunderbolt?", to which he responded, "no Lightening". While not critical, this was the first that I'd heard that detail as well.

Entering the Pub for registration, I was a bit surprised that they were not yet ready to start the registrations at 7:45. As they were calling for rain starting around 11am, I thought that every attempt would be made to get things running promptly at 9am as was laid out in the agenda the night before. To do this, registration and the riders meeting would need to be completed by 8:30 to then allow everyone to drive over to the track, get dressed, and be ready to ride by 9am. When registration opened, I was a bit relieved that they asked, "do you have track experience, and if so, what group". I was at a loss that they hadn't asked this during the initial registration, but alas they were collecting it now, and it made me hopeful that we could be appropriately grouped by speed on the track to assist in the enjoyment of all. After registering, I mingled with the other guests and dealers. This was nice, but at some point I also began to wonder "what's next". I finally asked someone with the staff (clearly marked by clothing - good move there) if the riders meeting would be at the pub, or at the track. They said "over at the track" at which point I started to leave. Before heading out I decided to double check with someone else as it didn't really seem like even the staff had a good sense of how things were going down. The second staffer assured me that I should STAY as the rider's meeting would be happening in the Pub.

Off to the track we go
After the riders meeting, we all rendezvous over at the track. After gearing up, we bake while waiting to be given track assignments. I'm uncertain the reason for the delay, but again it just seemed a bit disorganized as if somebody needed to have been declared the leader and responsible for the coordination and success of the event a bit earlier. I didn't have the time of day as my phone was in my car, but I'd suggest that it was nearing 10:15 (guess) when we actually took the track.

Let's Roll...
I was a bit let down when it was officially announced that it was a "follow the leader" style at the rider's meeting, but surely since we were broken out by skill level, we would ride appropriately. Firing up the beast, I'm ready, I'm excited. Oh sugar, the speed is covered (told it's how CSS does things) and the bike is in RAIN mode. Honestly, the speed itself was not as critical to me as knowing how the bike builds speed and felt on track at certain speeds on certain corners. I have NEVER owned an S1000RR, so it is impossible for me to even speculate what speed different RPM/gear combos equate to, but alas we set off.

The first lap, we are crawling around the track, I chalk this up to cold track, cold tires, cold body... let's warm things up slowly. To me the bike doesn't feel overly responsive or powerful, but go figure, it's in RAIN mode. The second lap, we really are not building on the speed much, and what's this.... a red flag. I pit, sincerely wondering how on earth anyone that identified themselves as an advanced trackday rider could have possibly crashed at that pace. Well, we come to find out that lightening (real thing, not the track) was spotted 8 MILES AWAY. NJMP apparently has a rule whereby things must be shut down for a period of time when lightening is seen inside 10 MILES. This certainly was not the fault of BMW, but it added to my frustration of a day that had already started out so slowly, as I was aware that the day ahead appeared that it could be very hit or miss with rain. We had completely missed our best opportunity at riding in the dry it seemed.

Before we were cleared to get back on the track, the rains started. During the rains, many crowded in to hear more about the S1000RR systems from Nate Kern and Steve Weir. For those that owned an S1000RR previously, the comparisons on how/where things were improved on the previous model would have probably been useful, in my case I didn't have that baseline to compare it to anyway. Nonetheless, I intently listened to Nate and Steve and it was nice hearing about all the electronic magic offered by the bike. A couple times if felt a little bit like a sales pitch, but I honestly think it was mostly just due to the passion that these two guys have for this machine... and it was great of BMW to have them there, this was good.

As the rain had now lifted, sadly we didn't immediately get back on track as we were now running up on lunch, whereby NJMP has a mandatory 45-60 minute rest period for the track workers. Again, uncertain that BMW could have done anything here (unsure if they asked), but I really wish that the NJMP staff could have been flexible and taken their break/lunch an hour early such that when/if the rain lifted that we could get back to riding. So, lunch. Here again, a nice touch to provide lunch making it feel like a premium experience.

Back on track... yes, literally
The skies had relented and we toss a leg over the bikes. They are shod with Dunlop Q3's and the track still has some wet spots. Looking to make the most of this opportunity, I try to ham fist the bike on the wet spots to get a feel for the computer systems kicking in. We are in RAIN mode still, that being presumably the most conservative mode I was thinking that this would be an easy task, but at the speed, gear, lack of lean, etc I couldn't get the system to engage. They had told us originally that we would be running 15-20 minute sessions. Coming off, it felt more like 12 or so minutes to me based on previous track time. This could be a reflection of several things, 1) this new bike is supremely relaxing and comfortable (side note to mention that I DID in fact find this bike comfortable for my 6'0" 210lb self), 2) we were riding so far off my typical trackday pace that I didn't get even remotely tired or 3) we really did only ride 12 minutes... who knows. Frankly, if they DID cut us short in order to let other groups get out, not knowing when the rain might start back up, I would actually applaud them for trying to do best by everyone there.

Our leader asked about the pace, was it good? Two of the three people (not to include me) said "yes", even if with some hesitation. I asked if the coach wanted my honest opinion and he declared that he did. I told him that I found it impossible to evaluate the bike at the speeds that we used it. Riding the bike felt effortless, but at the pace we carried, I could have ridden my 20 year old sport touring bike that I hold onto for sentimental value. The pace was not befitting for what is touted as the best sportbike available on the market in 2020. My coach told me "we can not just let you out here to thrash our equipment". While my objective was never to thrash the equipment, I truly did come into the event hoping to ride the bike to say 90% of my capacity, leaving plenty of room for error, but still testing out the bike.

As a point of comparison, I'm a big V4 fan and was invited by Aprilia to join them for a similar event this spring held at New York Safety Track. The riding portion of their event was done individually, on the track, at your own pace (broken into appropriate groups by skill level). The Aprilia day was NOT free, but frankly it was a top notch event and I would rather spend my money and leave with a better sense of the machine that I am considering. In the case of the RSV4, it did just that and a seed was planted. I encourage the manufacturers to put on more of these events as they should help with both sales and marketing. Give the clientele a taste, if your product is good, they will not be able to erase it from their minds or stop talking about it to their friends. The greatness of the RSV4 is burnt into my memory and I wanted to see how the new S1000RR stacked up. I should add that even if BMW required some type of up front security deposit on the bike (I think that CSS normally charges $1500 deposit which you loose if you crash it) I would prefer that experience to daintily circling the track.

Back on the S1000RR, we managed a second session in the afternoon before the rains ended the day. That final session the bikes were in ROAD mode. Again, I will state that anybody that typically rides Advanced/Trackdays was not looking to taste Road mode at a slow clip if they were considering this as a trackbike. Our pace WAS indeed improved on the second session, but I will still call it far off the mark for myself and what I was hoping for.

Would I do it again?
Having experienced this event, I can say without a doubt that I would NOT chose to participate again (even without the rains), IF the same type of format were to be used. Quite simply, while nice of BMW to do, they completely missed the mark for me. The tech session with Nate and Steve was great, but at the end of the day, time is money and this wasn't worth the time (travel time considered) given I do not feel like I can give a proper review/riding impression of the new S1000RR.

My recommendations for improvement for anyone with clout that happens to read this...
1) someone take charge, organize, and communicate early and often with your clients to set clear expectations
2) be cognizant of the predicted weather - while you can not change it, you can maximize the time that you are given and we missed out on an easy hour in the morning
3) let the dogs out.... charge some type of deposit if you must, but let the riders flow at a comfortable for them level. If someone looks dangerous, pull them and talk to them, but let people test the bikes for what they are made for... devouring racetracks.
BruceV, Kiev1981, dvskd4 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by LeanIt; 08-15-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: clarity/proofreading

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Code View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
Well from what I remember from the Dunlops they handled well in the rain. I actually am torn between the Dunlop and the Perelli as my choice of tires.
We are sponsored by Dunlop in the USA and Pirelli in Europe. Both brands make excellent track and performance tires.
Dylan it was nice meeting you yesterday. You, your staff and all of the Bmw reps were very humble and friendly. I Learned a lot about the bike and if this is how all of your superbike classes are I will definitely be doing more in the future. I understand the reps will not be there but you’re knowledgeable staff and their ability to answer all the questions I had was definitely valuable to me. Thank you to you and Bmw for having this event for us.
Kiev1981 and 19s1k like this.

2014 HP4 Comp #5961
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanIt View Post
New poster to the forum, but I thought that I'd share my thoughts on the experience. For background, I am a veteran trackday junkie, typically running at the slower end of the advanced group. It should also be noted that I have done a few other events somewhat similar to this in the past, to me it's helpful to get a ride on a bike to confirm where you do (or do NOT) want to spend your money.

WARNING: LONG

A friend of mine is also an advanced trackday rider and S1000RR enthusiast; as a matter of fact I believe that he has owned every generation S1000RR. Knowing that I have been eyeballing the Aprilia's, he informed me that I REALLY, REALLY needed to give the S1000RR a shot before pulling the trigger on the Ape and I was very happy to be accepted for the S1000RR Experience.

I will outline my thoughts/experience from the top.

Pre-Registration Details
Outside of knowing that BMW was putting on the S1000RR experience, there seemed to be somewhat a shroud of secrecy over what it was, outside the date and that it would be at NJMP. It was not even noted if the event was on Lightening or Thunderbolt actually. Additionally, it seemed that nobody could declare with certainty how many sessions one would get to ride the bike. Would it be "open track", or a follow the leader type of event.

As the event neared and the weather appeared iffy, I pondered if this was going to be worth the time... vacation time, travel time, expenses, etc. It was of real concern to me that I really didn't have a strong idea on what to expect and deep down I was nervous that I would be let down... at the same time, I REALLY wanted to see how the bike compared to the 2019 RSV4 which coincidentally I had ridden on track as well. The evening before the event at 5:15 ET I get an email from BMW, by this point most of us were likely already on the road and would not have noticed the email. Inside it gave an agenda, but still didn't really mention the details of the "ride experience". My point here is that providing more detail, and earlier would have been greatly preferred.

Morning Of
The morning of, I arrive at NJMP about 7:30am. I sign in with the guard and he tells me that we are doing registration AND breakfast at the Pub. While welcomed and a nice touch, I had already eaten as breakfast as this detail was not communicated earlier. I asked the guard, "I assume that we are using Thunderbolt?", to which he responded, "no Lightening". While not critical, this was the first that I'd heard that detail as well.

Entering the Pub for registration, I was a bit surprised that they were not yet ready to start the registrations at 7:45. As they were calling for rain starting around 11am, I thought that every attempt would be made to get things running promptly at 9am as was laid out in the agenda the night before. To do this, registration and the riders meeting would need to be completed by 8:30 to then allow everyone to drive over to the track, get dressed, and be ready to ride by 9am. When registration opened, I was a bit relieved that they asked, "do you have track experience, and if so, what group". I was at a loss that they hadn't asked this during the initial registration, but alas they were collecting it now, and it made me hopeful that we could be appropriately grouped by speed on the track to assist in the enjoyment of all. After registering, I mingled with the other guests and dealers. This was nice, but at some point I also began to wonder "what's next". I finally asked someone with the staff (clearly marked by clothing - good move there) if the riders meeting would be at the pub, or at the track. They said "over at the track" at which point I started to leave. Before heading out I decided to double check with someone else as it didn't really seem like even the staff had a good sense of how things would go down. The second staffer assured me that I should STAY as the rider's meeting would be happening in the Pub.

Off to the track we go
After the riders meeting, we all rendevous over at the track. After gearing up, we bake while waiting to be given track assignments. I'm uncertain for the delay, but again it just seemed a bit disorganized as if somebody needed to have been declared the leader and responsible for the coordination and success of the event a bit earlier. I didn't have the time as my phone was in my car, but I'd suggest that it was nearing 10:30 (guess) when we actually took the track.

Let's Roll...
I was a bit let down when it was officially announced that it was a "follow the leader" style at the rider's meeting, but surely since we were broken out by skill level, we would ride appropriately. Firing up the beast, I'm ready, I'm excited. Oh sugar, the speed is covered (told it's how CSS does things) and the bike is in RAIN mode. Honestly, the speed itself was not as critical to me as knowing how the bike builds speed and felt on track at certain speeds on certain corners. I have NEVER owned an S1000RR, so it is impossible for me to even specualate what speed different RPM/gear combos equate to, but alas we set off.

The first lap, we are crawling around the track, I chalk this up to cold track, cold tires, cold body... let's warm things up slowly. To me the bike doesn't feel overly responsive or powerful, but go figure, it's in RAIN mode. The second lap, we really are not building on the speed much, and what's this.... a red flag. I pit, sincerely wondering how on earth anyone that identified themselves as an advanced trackday rider could have possibly crashed at that pace. Well, we come to find out that lightening (real thing, not the track) was spotted 8 MILES AWAY. NJMP apparently has a rule where things must be shut down for a period of time when lightening is seen inside 10 MILES. This certainly was not the fault of BMW, but it added to my frustration of day that had already started out so slowly, and in my mind I was aware that the day ahead appeared that it could be very hit or miss. We had completely missed our best opportunity at riding in the dry it seemed.

Before we were cleared to get back on the track, the rains started. During the rains, many crowded in to hear more about the S1000RR systems from Nate Kern and Steve Weir. For those that owned an S1000RR previously, the comparisions on how/where things improved on the previous model would have probably been useful, in my case I didn't have that baseline to compare it to anyway. Nonetheless, I intently listened to Nate and Steve. At some times if felt a little bit like a sales pitch, but I honestly think it was mostly just due to the passion that these two guys have for this machine... and it was great of BMW to have them there.

As the rain had actually lifted, sadly we didn't immediately get back on track as we were now running up on lunch, whereby NJMP has a mandatory 45-60 minute rest period for the track workers. Again, uncertain that BMW could have done anything here (unsure if they asked), but I really wish that the NJMP staff could have been flexible and taken their break/lunch an hour early such that when/if the rain lifted that we could get back to riding. So, lunch. Here again, a nice touch to provide lunch making it feel like a premium experience.

Back on track... yes, literally
The skies had relented and we toss a leg over the bikes. They are shod with Dunlop Q3's and the track still has some wet spots. Looking to make the most of this opportunity, I try to ham fist the bike on the wet spots to get a feel for the computer systems kicking in. We are in RAIN mode still, that being presumably the most conservative mode I was thinking that this would be an easy task, but at the speed, gear, lack of lean, etc I couldn't get the system to engage. They had told us originally that we would be running 15-20 minute sessions. Coming off, it felt more like 12 or so minutes to me based on previous track time. This could be a reflection of several things, 1) this new bike is supremely relaxing and comfortable (side note to mention that I DID in fact find this bike comfortable for my 6'0" 210lb self), 2) we were riding so far off my typical trackday pace that I didn't get even remotely tired or 3) we really did only ride 12 minutes... who knows. Frankly, if they DID cut us short in order to let other groups get out not knowing when the rain might start back up, I would actually applaud them for trying to do best by everyone there.

Our leader asked about the pace, was it good? Two of the three people (not to include me) said "yes", even if with some hesitation. I asked if the coach wanted my honest opinion and he declared that he did. I told him that I found it impossible to evaluate the bike at the speeds that we used it. Riding the bike felt effortless, but at the pace we carried, I could have ridden my 20 year old sport touring bike that I hold onto for sentimental value. The pace was not befitting for what is touted as the best sportbike available on the market it 2020. My coach told me "we can not just let you out here to thrash our equipment". While my objective was never to thrash the equipment, I truly did come into the event hoping to ride the bike to say 90% of my capacity, leaving plenty of room for error, but still testing out the bike.

As a point of comparison, I'm a big V4 fan and was invited by Aprilia to join them for a similar event this spring held at New York Safety Track. The riding portion of their event was done individually, on the track, at your own pace (broken into appropriate groups by skill level). The Aprilia day was NOT free, but frankly it was a top notch event and I would rather spend my money and leave with a better sense of the machine that I am considering. In the case of the RSV4, it did just that and a seed was planted. I encourage the manufacturers to put on more of these events as they should help with both sales and marketing. Give the clientele a taste, if your product is good, they will not be able to erase it from their minds or stop talking about it to their friends. The greatness of the RSV4 is burnt into my memory and I wanted to see how the new S1000RR stacked up. I should add that even if BMW required some type of up front security deposit on the bike (I think that CSS normally charges $1500 deposit which you loose if you crash it) I would prefer that experience to daintily circling the track.

Back on the S1000RR, we managed a second session in the afternoon before the rains ended the day. That final session the bikes were in ROAD mode. Again, I will state that anybody that typically rides Advanced/Trackdays was not looking to taste Road mode at a slow clip if they were considering this as a trackbike. Our pace WAS indeed improved on the second session, but I will still call it far off the mark for myself and what I was hoping for.

Would I do it again?
Having experienced this event, I can say without a doubt that I would NOT chose to participate again (even without the rains), IF the same type of format were to be used. Quite simply, while nice of BMW to do, they completely missed the mark for me. The tech session with Nate and Steve was great, but at the end of the day, time is money and this wasn't worth the time (travel time considered) given I do not feel like I can give a proper review/riding impression of the new S1000RR.

My recommendations for improvement for anyone with clout that happens to read this...
1) someone take charge, organize, and communicate early and often with your clients to set clear expectations
2) be cognizant of the predicted weather - while you can not change it, you can maximize the time that you are given and we missed out on an easy hour in the morning
3) let the dogs out.... charge some type of deposit if you must, but let the riders flow at a comfortable for them level. If someone looks dangerous, pull them and talk to them, but let people test the bikes for what they are made for... devouring racetracks.
Nice write up - detailing how the day went for you. Now I kind of figured out the process. It seems for sure the event needed much more structure.

BMW trying to accommodate many riders of various skill level and use of the bike seems to have been the big challenge - like you I really have no interest in the road worthiness of the RR - the new rider position - the new TFT screen - the new electronics package - the new engine yes I'm very interested - the CF wheels, all of it as it relates to being ridden on the track.

I find it interesting that a coach from CSS would consider a track rider wanting to ride the bike like you would at a track event or one of their CSS schools as "thrashing" it.

I've been to CSS and every level I took the coaches followed you and paced you out to let you learn - and as you got better the coaches started to up the pace and continued to observe your progress or lack of it.

Okay I get it - they had to be conservative - like you I wanted more.

I'm just going to have to buy one and decide for myself.

Bruce
post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:20 PM

Just my 2 cents. I drove from Southern NH to go to this event...about 6 hrs w traffic.

I do not regret going down as I have a deposit on the bike and ive yet to ever sit on it. If you went to this event expecting a track day then you were wrong. The bikes were loaners from CSS and it would be crazy of them to hand over the keys to all of their bikes and say have at it. Having said that, my group leader did keep a very good pace for the 3 of us and I never had the thought of "LETS GO ALREADY!".

Having said that, it was great to speak to all the BMW and CSS people about the bike and to generally **** with Nate Kern.

The passion of everyone in the group was obvious.

I currently own a '15 RR and the best way i can figure out how to describe it is that when I first took ownership of my '15 from the showroom floor it took me a few days/Weeks to get truly comfortable on the bike. the 2020 I was comfortable immediately. 1st session out was in RAIN mode and the bike just handled excellent. 2nd was in race mode and I was able to red line 2nd and almost 3rd gear on the straight before having to slow due to traffic/the turn. The bike is soo easy to flick compared to my 15 and it stood up just as easily. Shifting pattern was normal and I am used to GP shift. I made the mistake of shifting the wrong way and dropped into 1st on the straight. The bike just kinda laughed at me and said "fix it" and we went on. Such a great machine in general, I hope to get my hands on mine soon (hopefully before winter sets in).

Attached a few pics that dont exceed the filesize limit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68550571_10162057805630043_1770928094039769088_n.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	202296   Click image for larger version

Name:	67921983_10162057805795043_1609343852336906240_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	202298   Click image for larger version

Name:	68371527_10162059332205043_8976048544137871360_o.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	202300   Click image for larger version

Name:	67872772_10162059332375043_2865346414588723200_o.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	202302   Click image for larger version

Name:	68438395_10162059332265043_1693462251412914176_o.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	202304  

Xtremsiege2, Bunky927 and dvskd4 like this.

2020 BMW S1000RR M Package - On order.......
2015 BMW S1000RR Motorsport
2013 CBR 1000RR Tricolor *Sold*
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol *Sold*
2006 R6S *Sold*
post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:33 PM

I can understand what Leanit is saying. The information leading up to the event was certainly lacking, no doubt there. However if you really wanted to take the new s1000rr for a spin before buying one, maybe you should've invested in the school which was there 2 days prior. The laps were fairly slow, but still gave you a good feeling how the bike rides, where it makes the power in lower gears on the strait. Reading on this forum and reviews you already know gears 4-6 aren't the issue.

-This was a free event, less your transportation there.
-There was no security deposit. One person actually did dump a bike on the last session.
-This event wasn't something they had ever done to my knowledge, this was Bmw's first stab and we had awful weather in the morning and mid afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipes1021 View Post
So what did you guys think of the bike when you rode it?

I loved it, rode my 2016 to work today just to see how it felt and the first thing i noticed was how much heavier it was. Still on the fence about getting the new one, think I'll wait a year unless some dealer decides they want to discount one

My only gripe was the clip ons do have a bit of vibration, a bit more than previous generations and their track bikes had R&G bar ends installed(possibly weighted?)
Kiev1981 and 19s1k like this.

///Xtremsiege2
2016 B&RR s1000rr Premium
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:15 PM

A challenging day with the weather. They planned for everyone to get three rides but two were gotten due to the weather. Outdoor sports always have that element of course...
Xtremsiege2 and 19s1k like this.
post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremsiege2 View Post

I loved it, rode my 2016 to work today just to see how it felt and the first thing i noticed was how much heavier it was. Still on the fence about getting the new one, think I'll wait a year unless some dealer decides they want to discount one

My only gripe was the clip ons do have a bit of vibration, a bit more than previous generations and their track bikes had R&G bar ends installed(possibly weighted?)
Thanks for the review. Iíll be going from a stock 2011 to the 2020 whenever mine comes in hopefully in a month or so but who knows. I did like the 11 besides the quick shifter not working. I got to sit on the m model in the dealership so I kinda got a feel. Think Iíll notice the 2nd/3rd lag coming from a 11 model? Not sure how much better and stronger the engine got over the years. I know thereís a flash available to fix the issues but just getting your thoughts

post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOrlando View Post
The bike is soo easy to flick compared to my 15 and it stood up just as easily. Shifting pattern was normal and I am used to GP shift. I made the mistake of shifting the wrong way and dropped into 1st on the straight. The bike just kinda laughed at me and said "fix it" and we went on.

We talked in the classroom, I was wearing the black Heroic suit saying it shouldnít have let you downshift while being on the throttle (according to tech discussion) - nice to meet ya

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode