s1000RR heat mitigation (pre-2020) - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bennymx
  • 1 Post By Ilovemyz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

s1000RR heat mitigation (pre-2020)

I live in AZ. My 2020 is not quite as hot on the inner thighs when at a light in 100+ degree weather. My wife inherited my 2019RR (had a K1300S previously) and she is coming home with red heat rash on the inner thigha. I felt the heat myself on the K47 RRs (I also owned two other previous years over the last 9 years or so and they all had this problem) to the point that I need to shift on the seat, move my legs, etc... sometimes it's bad enough that I almost want to put it in neutral at a light and get off it. Other than chaps or other riding gear, has anyone ever used an aftermarket heat shield or other solution? The wife rode my 2020 and didn't have quite the level of discomfort, so now I either fix the problem on her '19 or I feel like an ass for not letting her take my 2020.

Just curious. If I need to get her special pants for the commute, then that's life. Cuz... she isn't getting my '20!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM

If you ride in leathers or textiles you should not have an issue with heat. I never have. Even in summer. If you are wearing thin clothing then thats the problem. Otherwise the carbon frame covers can help. Welcome to the world of high horse power and high heat superbikes.
cyclesailor955 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 PM

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Troy-Le...ts/524003204-c
Highly recommend these Troy Lee inner shorts with rubber on the inside thighs to wear under jeans or textiles in summer. Used them on my Panigale and they were highly effective combatting heat on the inner thighs.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, she is looking at the shorts but the only downside is that she'd need to take them off at work. Same deal with the textile pants, she'd need to change at work. Not a huge challenge but the frame covers might mitigate the heat enough that she can just wear her usual work pants without getting scalded. If the covers don't work, then pants or shorts is the next move.

That being said, anyone have any personal experience with any of the CF frame covers? Do they make a notable difference? I looked at her bike next to mine and due to the different fairing design, the 2020 pretty much does the same thing which is why she noticed the difference. Are there any brands that we should avoid? I noticed a few products out there that looked exactly alike but nearly a $200 price diff.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Garage
Even with Rev'it jeans on it's pretty toasty.

I just ordered some stompgrip for the bike, I'm hoping it is somewhat insulating.

I might also try moving my foot pegs up and back to push my thighs above the frame rails where the heat is.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Full system removes loads of heat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

I bought alpha racing cf frame covers for my 2020 because my thighs were getting toasty on very hot days. Im sure they make something similar for the k47.

Aftermarket full exhaust should help also.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

200+ hp super sport bike will produce loads of heat. I ride in cargo pants, they get warm but not uncomfortably hot.

Just dress for the occasion.
bennymx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode