2020 Cracked faring - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

2020 Cracked faring

@BMW_388 I couldn't find the post, but I think you covered this issue within days of receiving your 2020. Washed my bike just now because Sunday durning a very aggressive ride we hit a bunch of rain on the way home(hours worth of none stop rain) I've just now noticed my fairing is broken. Also, this little clip under clutch just popped off, seems very cheaply made(pic below, I've put it back but seems like it will pop right back off next ride). With the Fairing issue is that covered by warranty? You can clearly see it hasn't been dropped or anything. This has to be from hard riding or.... Not sure what else it could be to be honest. How do we fix? (Don't want to JB weld it) also with that said what's the point of buying a replacement if it's caused by hard riding?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_195751_1562806359513.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	201418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_195757_1562806374152.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	201420   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_195825_1562806420537.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	201422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_195811_1562806433719.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	201424  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Remove the broken fairing piece if you have the time, it'll split on the other side and you'll lose it completely if you don't. Luckily mine was rattling around in there and my buddy saw it before it fell out.

We have pretty rough roads here and mine came off at around 1400 miles.

BMW didn't offer to replace it when I complained about it. It is a $20 part but still. I'll probably just end up replacing the fairings with cf eventually but it is annoying.

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...ml#post2335234

that is my post where mine fell off.

Last edited by PaniDropper; 07-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniDropper View Post
Remove the broken fairing piece if you have the time, it'll split on the other side and you'll lose it completely if you don't. Luckily mine was rattling around in there and my buddy saw it before it fell out.

We have pretty rough roads here and mine came off at around 1400 miles.

BMW didn't offer to replace it when I complained about it. It is a $20 part but still. I'll probably just end up replacing the fairings with cf eventually but it is annoying.
Ok thankyou, guess I'll take it off an ride without it. I'll order another from dealer if it breaks the same then I'll make a big stink(if its only $20 I can deal with it) I agree I'm going to go with carbon as well just waiting for the release.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 PM

The fairing seems like its a common problem. Vibration obviously and heat over time the plastic goes brittle and breaks. The cover for the clutch switches is a weird design. They have it on some other models like that. It does seem to fit fairly loosely but haven't had any issues with the design so far.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 PM

I had seen a 44 teeth video and they had broke ones with in 200 miles.

Then sure enough I checked mine doing the radiator guard install and mine was broke at the bolt holding location.

Its already broke now. Just JB Plastic weld it, glue it, whatever it takes.. its already ugly and going to break more. Get a new one at dealer. My dealer offered to replace plastic on my 15 up to 200 miles, but I never even asked on this 20 since someone had already checked it was going to be low cost piece of plastic from dealer.

Just a bad design.
bennymx and techno_violet like this.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
The fairing seems like its a common problem. Vibration obviously and heat over time the plastic goes brittle and breaks. The cover for the clutch switches is a weird design. They have it on some other models like that. It does seem to fit fairly loosely but haven't had any issues with the design so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
I had seen a 44 teeth video and they had broke ones with in 200 miles.

Then sure enough I checked mine doing the radiator guard install and mine was broke at the bolt holding location.

Its already broke now. Just JB Plastic weld it, glue it, whatever it takes.. its already ugly and going to break more. Get a new one at dealer. My dealer offered to replace plastic on my 15 up to 200 miles, but I never even asked on this 20 since someone had already checked it was going to be low cost piece of plastic from dealer.

Just a bad design.
Ok thank's guys. I knew I couldn't have been the only one. @bennymx that's what my thought was. Heat and thin plastic bumps don't mix, haha
@BMW_388 guess I'll give it a shot, JB weld it on the backside! Thanks again(also was unable to call today, will try and do it tomorrow during the hours you've told me thankyou again)
BMW_388 likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 PM

Might be worth attempting some heat reflecting tape on the back side to give the plastic a fighting chance.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

So I've "JB Weld for plastics" and heading to dealer now to order another. Will see how it holds Sunday durning aggressive riding again haha.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 PM

everyone should be having the dealer replace these under warranty. BMW needs to know there is a problem with the design when they receive a lot of warranty claims for this. I posted the video of the 44 teeth guys having two of the bikes with cracked fairings
Fbto, I RR Fast and techno_violet like this.

2014 HP4 Comp #5961
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONE_757 View Post
@BMW_388 I couldn't find the post, but I think you covered this issue within days of receiving your 2020. Washed my bike just now because Sunday durning a very aggressive ride we hit a bunch of rain on the way home(hours worth of none stop rain) I've just now noticed my fairing is broken. Also, this little clip under clutch just popped off, seems very cheaply made(pic below, I've put it back but seems like it will pop right back off next ride). With the Fairing issue is that covered by warranty? You can clearly see it hasn't been dropped or anything. This has to be from hard riding or.... Not sure what else it could be to be honest. How do we fix? (Don't want to JB weld it) also with that said what's the point of buying a replacement if it's caused by hard riding?
sorry to say but fvck that. its a BRAND NEW bike. they have to be made aware they have a problem. they replaced plastics on my 15 also.
Fbto likes this.

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode