Another owner selling his 2020. - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Why I Sold My New 2020 BMW S1000RR

https://youtu.be/4pRioM_xpRI

This isn't my video. A summary of the video is that he doesn't like the dip in power, the clip-ons vibrate, the motor is noisy, and you can't make setting adjustments on the fly. He owns a 15 rr. What do owners of the 2020 and who have taken it to the track think of his opinion? I think the dip in power is a big issue to someone who doesn't want to get a tune.
19s1k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 PM

Another owner selling his 2020.

Another owner selling his 2020. Unhappy about the deadspot under 9k rpm. Not willing to risk his warranty which is understandable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRi...&feature=share

Is the new owner on here?
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 PM

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:26 PM

I totally understand the guy, I've said it on this forum an was killed for it(from only a few) I love EVERYTHING besides the power delivery(or lack there of)
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn-370z View Post
https://youtu.be/4pRioM_xpRI

This isn't my video. A summary of the video is that he doesn't like the dip in power, the clip-ons vibrate, the motor is noisy, and you can't make setting adjustments on the fly. He owns a 15 rr. What do owners of the 2020 and who have taken it to the track think of his opinion? I think the dip in power is a big issue to someone who doesn't want to get a tune.
I own a 2018 RR with HP wheels that is all track fairings and setup for track but stock for the most part. Cat Delete. RCS19 Corsa Corta. Alpha clip ons and Lightech rear sets. Dropped front forks to line 3 and raised rear 10MM. Running Q4's

I also have a 2020 RR M sport that is stock.

First I have ridden both on the street and I have ridden both on the track BACK TO BACK.

His statement about electronics adjustability while riding I COMPLETELY disagree with. As a track day enthusiast I want you and every other rider out there to focus on the TRACK not your screen to mess with settings. I certainly don't want to be taken out by some idiot on the street who is texting and driving why would you play with settings on the track while in the middle of a session...... MAKES ZERO SENSE. Get off the track adjust your stuff get back on the track for EVERYONES safety. Setup your 4 rider pro modes and test... rinse and repeat.

Second- The power dip is horrible.... especially on west track since its slower and more technical you find yourself in that rev range more often. East you can avoid it if you try but still it should NOT be there. My 18 will outrun the 20 on the straights no question about it. Coming out of 15 on east as well as 7 on West its not even a question. I even had someone that was riding my bike get off track and ask why I don't hammer it down the straights and that they were killing me every time we took the last corner. It is not even comparable the 18 is significantly more linear in the power than the 20 and feels more refined (MOTOR WISE) than the 20 while on track.

Third- Gripe about the vibration. It is vibey on track. no question about it. but my 18 with the grip mods and getting rid of the bar ends is just as bad. Your hands will go numb if riding in the wrong rev range while also maintaining a white knuckle grip on the bars (Which you shouldn't be doing) Get heavy bar ends if it bothers you... 100 dollar fix... shouldn't be discounting a bike from potentially buying because of something as simple as that.

Fourth- Suspension. I actually think the 20 is better in this regard as it provides more feedback and is more gentle I guess you could say. I had a chat with Dave Moss who set up both bikes on the day of this event and he helped get them closer together in terms of feel. The 18 was stiffer while the 20 was more plush and absorbed some of the imperfection on the track without me having to roll out of the throttle. Turn 3 on west has a significant cement triangle that my 18 does not enjoy... my 20 however makes it disappear and I can hammer down about 15 miles an hour faster through it... maybe its my riding style maybe the bike is just that more confidence inspiring who knows. I have NOT really hammered the bike for fear of wadding it up so early in its life.

Fifth- Geometry. The 20 Significantly more flickable and fun. Turn in is way faster it holds lines better and builds confidence.

One annoyance that he did not bring up that I have is the TPMS will go crazy with pressure below 33PSI on my bike it starts giving me all kinds of warnings on screen.

All in all the bike is a great piece of MACHINERY that needs some electronics tweaks to be unbelievably awesome.

I will be keeping both of my bikes and hoping that BMW fixes their issue or releases a fix that won't void the warranty or have me have to risk losing it....

Hope this helps a little ENJOY IT!
A B, smash adams, Carlito and 8 others like this.

Last edited by wes4895; 07-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rbatim View Post
Another owner selling his 2020. Unhappy about the deadspot under 9k rpm. Not willing to risk his warranty which is understandable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRi...&feature=share

Is the new owner on here?
Doubt it. He's the owner of Cali Track days. He's wrong about not being able to change things on the fly. That's what Race Mode Pro 1, 2 and 3 are for. You set them each up differently, try them all in one session, get to the pits, take notes and pick the individual settings you liked best from each mode. Then you choose those settings for race pro 1 and set up 2 and 3 differently. Go out and try them all again. Rinse and repeat. After 2-3 sessions you should be close to what you will use for your baseline settings. If conditions change, the dtc is always adjustable. And if it starts raining, you can switch to rain mode or have 1 of the race pro setting set up to mimic it. He didn't think it through. For someone complaining vociferously about the flat spot he was hitting 150 mph well before start/finish with what looked like a very relaxed exit from 15.
Bobby Johnny likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 PM
z00

2021 will be the year to buy the new RR. Glad I did not rush, stayed with Piano company bikes

This is the third guy selling his new RR. I don't blame these riders. Losing warranty on a $23k bike to fix things that were supposed to be fixed from the factory are no joke. If Ducati and Aprilia can do it, BMW can.
GixY2K and SaiyanMuscle like this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
2021 will be the year to buy the new RR. Glad I did not rush, stayed with Piano company bikes

This is the third guy selling his new RR. I don't blame these riders. Losing warranty on a $23k bike to fix things that were supposed to be fixed from the factory are no joke. If Ducati and Aprilia can do it, BMW can.
Granted both cheated and released an 1100 but thats neither here nor there It also does not absolve BMW of this sin.
fastchick911 likes this.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Lifetime Member

I have talked with this Cali Moto ( Bill ) guy.

I told him I had the ECU fix. It really is not the issues he mentioned however.. it was the engine ticking. The engine scares so many people into thinking that any mod is going to blow the engine up. Then you have to deal with the dealer on the warranty issues. Mod'ed ECU is not good when the engine blows. So the resolution is simple. Get a 2nd ECU that is a clone to your stock one. Mod the 2nd ECU with me, BT, whoever.... The next part is not going to be documented here. If you want to know how to continue with enjoying your 2020 S1000RR just read my website and make the call or email > bmwhp.com
capt42104 and fastchick911 like this.

Riding and loving my 2020 K67 with the custom XWORKS ECU
Check out MotoMillion ( forum Vendor section ) for all your needs in ECU work
Check out MotoMillion also has programming for RCK3 / HP power Kit enables now
Programmer for MotoMillion is myself ( BMW_388 )
I personally own the 2014, 2015, 2018, 2020 S1000RR
This makes for checking my ECU work is perfect every time sold by MotoMillion
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:54 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post

Not if the North American EPA is somehow seriously involved in the decision making of the released product.

Riding and loving my 2020 K67 with the custom XWORKS ECU
Check out MotoMillion ( forum Vendor section ) for all your needs in ECU work
Check out MotoMillion also has programming for RCK3 / HP power Kit enables now
Programmer for MotoMillion is myself ( BMW_388 )
I personally own the 2014, 2015, 2018, 2020 S1000RR
This makes for checking my ECU work is perfect every time sold by MotoMillion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode