Complaint to BMW about the 2020 power delivery - Page 6 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 416Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:21 PM

If the bike is built to Euro emissions, why would the US bikes be neutered?
This is also why I never buy new version bike till after a year on the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:35 PM

out of curiousity...has there been ANY word on any of these concerns from BMW?

I havent received mine yet, but i am starting to get cold feet with what i am reading/hearing. Might need to pull my deposit until next model year in hopes that they fix the issues.

2020 BMW S1000RR M Package - On order.......
2015 BMW S1000RR Motorsport
2013 CBR 1000RR Tricolor *Sold*
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol *Sold*
2006 R6S *Sold*
post #53 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOrlando View Post
out of curiousity...has there been ANY word on any of these concerns from BMW?

I havent received mine yet, but i am starting to get cold feet with what i am reading/hearing. Might need to pull my deposit until next model year in hopes that they fix the issues.
I would call and voice your concerns to them then it may make the fix more on the forefront of their to-do's if customers are pulling the plug or thinking about it.

post #54 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes4895 View Post
I would call and voice your concerns to them then it may make the fix more on the forefront of their to-do's if customers are pulling the plug or thinking about it.
Indeed. The more the merrier. I placed same call a little while ago myself and letter going out to BMW NA CEO tomorrow. I don't expect much but if all the riders able to understand how bad this bike has been tuned does the same, BMW will do something. What is anyone's guess.....
post #55 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes4895 View Post
Just called BMW which was surprising quick and easy! Cases are filed under the last 7 digits of the VIN and the rep advised it would be elevated and that the bike should go to the dealership for verification. Once there an engineer is notified due to the internal case already discussed as well as a Tech verifying the issue.

This is what I was told.

ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS ONE SHOULD DO THIS IT TOOK 7 MINUTES START TO FINISH. It helps the community bring issues to the BMWNA attention.
I just got off the phone with them myself, this is word for word what I was told as well. They are documenting the complaints, only way to get this fixed is for everyone to speak up!

Last edited by GSXEclipse; 07-02-2019 at 06:01 PM.
post #56 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
well.. SOMEONE at BMW knows exactly what they did to it.. the team who did the shitty tune lol... but that doesnt mean that everyone higher up the chain knows just how bad it really is.
I understand and appreciate the cynicism, but releasing a new version of a successful vehicle - which took a great deal of resources to develop - would have been signed off by high-level executives.

BMW is a big, conservative company. It does not release major new products willy-nilly without high level approval.

'15 S1000RR
post #57 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
@wfo439 did the guy who races the new bike have any issues?
He has the same dreaded flat spot and wants it fixed. It wasn't an issue to going quickly at T-Hill. It's a fast track and 6.5K is a wide power band by racing standards. The dealer he works for convinced him to wait for the "Alpha" flash. They are an Alpha distributor.
bennymx and BMW_388 like this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #58 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:33 PM

The 2020 BMW S1000RR has a flat spot and needs a tune. Oh the horror! Definitely a first world problem. While I certainly appreciate everyone's angst and desire for the bike to be perfect out of the box, no motorcycle ever is. Even my RG-500 Gamma needed a shock, aftermarket pipes, rejetting and wider wheels. It was only close to perfect out of the box. My HP4 wasn't perfect either yet all the magazines led you to believe it was. My TZ-250 needed rings every hundred miles and pistons and a crank every 200. Was the enjoyment derived racing it worth it? Yes.

I believe the new Ducati V4 needs substantial top end work after 10K miles. (it was posted on this forum somewhere) The R1s need work/ a flash (and a downshift blipper as I recall), and the newest Suzuki S1000R was restricted on top as the throttle bodies did not open all the way. I believe Brock turned it from a 180HP bike into a 200HP bike. Yes, it is a 17K bike vs a 23K bike.

My point is every bike has deficiencies and everyone has to make up their mind as to whether they want to fix them. If I had to guess, the initial release was rushed to meet whatever homologation requirements WSBK has. 2nd guess is EPA and CARB requirements in the U.S. and CA. If it's the latter, we will never see a fix in the U.S unless smash was correct here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash adams View Post
The data has been shown and the data does not lie. This problem exists because BMW did not properly develop their fuel maps. There are other indicators that this was a rush job as seen in the multiple stop sales since release relating to both BMW and suppliers quality control.

The issue with the US version and the 2,3 gear restrictions may well have to do with EPA and their requirements for certification which are very strict and time sensitive as I posted earlier. EPA may have required a year or more lead time before they were able to test the engine, resulting in BMW required to 'lock in' their maps well ahead of time. I have not yet seen the test date of the engine as tested by the EPA. Submitting for a retest using new maps may have already been in the works but further delays by either EPA or BMW has resulted in another stop sale. Again, this is conjecture based upon information available at this time and may prove to be correct or incorrect as time goes on.

The easy solution before new maps are released is to use a higher teeth count rear sprocket and stay out of the rpm range in question
Easy solution was here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
Personally, I enlarged @BMW_388 's dyno graph to poster size and replaced the posters of Farrah Fawcett, Brigette Bardot and Raquel Welch above my bed with it. j.k. and making a point at the same time. And yes I'm old. 50% of you probably asked: "Who the hell are they?"

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #59 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbravo View Post
If the bike is built to Euro emissions, why would the US bikes be neutered?
This is also why I never buy new version bike till after a year on the market.
smash adams and BMW_388 like this.
post #60 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I understand and appreciate the cynicism, but releasing a new version of a successful vehicle - which took a great deal of resources to develop - would have been signed off by high-level executives.

BMW is a big, conservative company. It does not release major new products willy-nilly without high level approval.
i never said they didnt sign off on it.. obviously they must before its produced

what im saying is that they might not be AWARE of exactly how bad this problem is.... they probalby just look at a report from their management teams that just says the targets were met with regards to passing, they might not be aware of how badly it was neutered in order to do so.

anyone who has worked in upper management of a large corporation knows that this can easily happen.

signing off on something that your engineering / tuning team reported as being finished is not the same as actually going and inspecting, testing, and experiencing something yourself.

theres a big difference between your tuning team telling you "yes sir, we met EPA goals with some slight changes" and going and riding it and seeing how bad it really is.

do you think the top level brass has personally ridden a USA tuned model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode