BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2020 RR Post your mechanical issues

187K views 835 replies 118 participants last post by  thommoutb 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So now that a few have had their 2020 RRs for a week or more, I wanted to see what build/quality issues ( if any) anyone has experienced. I have a couple of issues and want to know if they are isolated to my bike or maybe a more widespread problem for BMW.

1. I am getting a "clunk" sound from the front fork/shock when rolling over consecutive small bumps on the road. It is most noticeable when I let off the throttle and come to a rolling stop at a stop light or sign. As the shock compresses and rebounds and absorbs the bumps, it gives a clunk clunk clunk sound ( if you will). It almost sounds like a plastic rattle, and I thought it was maybe a rattle from some plastics but discovered that is not the case. When I turn the ignition on and the suspension de-compresses ( if you will ), I can bounce the front end up and down, and the clunk persists upon each rebound/compression. It just doesn't sound normal to me. Can you guys/gals be so kind as to bounce your machine front end up and down with the ignition on and tell me if you hear a persistent noise upon each compression/rebound? It seems to be the left ( DDC side) making the noise but hard to tell. I can't see it being normal on this machine.

2. Bike sputters and dies upon cold starts. It acts as if a cylinder is flooded or the injector is stuck open. Is anyone else having cold start issues? After a couple of tries, it seems to idle out and run better. I am still unsure if it is idling smoothly, even after it warms up. It looks a bit rough but not severe by any means.

3. Poor throttle response/power between 6-8 k rpm in 2-3 gears. Is this the emissions control doing its thing? Very noticeable and unacceptable as far as I am concerned. Happy to buy the $2k titanium exhaust but concerned with the engine light being on. Flash? Ugh. Is anyone else noticing this issue between 6-8 k rpm? Did it go away when the bike was "unlocked"? I wouldn't think so but fishing for an explanation.

4. The ticking and engine noise (primarily upon start-up) doesn't overly concern me until BMW says there's a problem. I read a couple of threads about insufficient oil pathways due to a milling depth problem but honestly don't remember the whole story without looking again. But I will say that the sound mine makes upon initial start-up ( once it finally starts) is a lot different than the sound it makes a few seconds later after the engine runs for 10 seconds or so. I am no mechanic, and I apologize for Layman's description of what I am experiencing. Could it be tight tolerances from a new engine? Or lack of oil in the places it needs to be lubricated? Or nothing at all to worry about, just a regular noisy BMW engine.

5. I am scheduled for my run-in check / unlock this Tuesday with my semi-local dealership ( gateway BMW St. Louis) and have described all the above issues with them already, but honestly, I doubt they know more about this bike than most of you guys. I do not knock their mechanical abilities at all. They do great work and have taken care of me so far with all my purchases from them. They had a couple of training sessions, but it's all new to them, so they have nothing to compare my bike to, which is understandable but also scary. It sounds like they may connect computers with BMW directly the see what it's doing, if necessary, about the sputtering on cold starts/injector testing.

I don't want my new 2020 RR pulled apart for anything! I guess one step at a time ...

But I do Love the 3-year 36k warranty ( just in case)

Other than these issues, a great bike so far. ( BUTT, that M seat has got to go!)

Maybe I can try to upload some sound/video later? Oh boy, that sounds like a technical challenge for me!

Thank you so much for your attention and participation. I hope to hear from new 2020 RR owners on this and more.

See less See more
#2 ·
So now that a few have had their 2020 RR's for a week or more, I wanted to see what build / quality issues ( if any) anyone has experienced. I have a couple issues and want to see if they are isolated to my bike or maybe a more wide spread problem for BMW.

Thank you in advance. I hope to hear from new 2020 RR owners on this and more.
1. I haven't heard any strange noises from the forks, but I also normally have ear plugs in and listen to music, so I won't say there isn't any just that I haven't noticed it.

2&3. Yes, the bike has issues with cold starts and issues with throttle response. I spoke with more than one person who has the full Akra on and the bike unlocked and neither fix the issue. There's obviously a massive opportunity for tuning this bike is my guess...I am doing dyno runs on Friday and plan to at least take AFR readings so I can start building a map once things become available for it.

4. There's definitely a ticking noise, but I'm not sure that I'm concerned about it yet.

#797 ·
So now that a few have had their 2020 RR's for a week or more, I wanted to see what build / quality issues ( if any) anyone has experienced. I have a couple issues and want to see if they are isolated to my bike or maybe a more wide spread problem for BMW.

1. I am getting a "clunk" sound from the front fork/shock when rolling over small consecutive bumps on the road. It is most noticeable when I let off the throttle and come to a rolling stop at a stop light or sign. As the shock compresses and rebounds and absorbs the bumps it gives a clunk clunk clunk sound ( if you will) . It almost sounds like plastic rattle and I thought it was maybe a rattle from some plastics but discovered that is not the case. When I turn the ignition on and the suspension de-compresses ( if you will ) I can bounce the front end up and down and the clunk persists upon each rebound / compression. Just doesn't sound normal to me. Can you guys / gals be so kind as to bounce your machine front end up and down with ignition on and tell me if you hear a persistent noise upon each compression / rebound. It seems to be the left ( ddc side) making the noise but hard to tell. I just can't see it being normal on this machine.

2. Bike sputters and dies upon cold starts. It acts as if a cylinder is flooded or injector stuck open? Anyone else having cold start issues? after a couple tries , it seems to idle out and run better. I am still not sure if it is idling smoothly even after it warms up. seems a bit rough but not severe by any means.

3. Poor throttle response / power between 6-8 k rpm in 2-3 gear. Is this the emissions control doing it's thing? very noticeable and unacceptable as far as I am concerned. Happy to buy the $2k titanium exhaust but concerned with engine light being on. Flash? ugh . Anyone else noticing this issue between 6-8 k rpm? did it go away when the bike was "unlocked"? I wouldn't think so but fishing for an explanation.

4. The ticking and engine noise ( especially upon start-up) doesn't overly concern me yet until BMW says theres a problem. I read a couple threads about insufficient oil pathways due to a milling depth problem but honestly don't remember the whole story without looking again. But I will say that the sound mine makes upon initial start-up ( once it finally starts) is a lot different than the sound it makes a few seconds later after the engine is running for 10 seconds or so. I am no mechanic and apologize for the Layman description of what I am experiencing. Could be tight tolerances from a new engine? or lack of oil in the places it needs to be lubricating? Or nothing at all to worry about just normal noisy BMW engine.

5. I am scheduled for my run-in check / unlock this tuesday with my semi-local dealership ( gateway BMW St. Louis) and have described all the above issues with them already but honestly , I doubt they know anymore about this bike than most of you guys. Not knocking their mechanical abilities at all. They do great work and have taken care of me so far with all my purchases from them. I do know They had a couple training sessions but its all new to them as well so they really have nothing to compare my bike to which is understandable but scary as well. sounds like they may connect computers with BMW directly the see what its doing if necessary with regard to the sputtering on cold starts / injector testing.

I really don't want my new 2020 rr pulled apart for anything! I guess one step at a time...

But do Love the 3 year 36k warranty ( just in case)

Other than these issues , great bike so far. ( BUTT that M seat has got to go!)

Maybe I can try to upload some sound / video later? oh boy that sounds like a technical challenge for me!

[/QU

1. I am getting a "clunk" sound from the front fork/shock when rolling over small consecutive bumps on the road. It is most noticeable when I let off the throttle and come to a rolling stop at a stop light or sign. As the shock compresses and rebounds and absorbs the bumps it gives a clunk clunk clunk sound ( if you will) . It almost sounds like plastic rattle and I thought it was maybe a rattle from some plastics but discovered that is not the case. When I turn the ignition on and the suspension de-compresses ( if you will ) I can bounce the front end up and down and the clunk persists upon each rebound / compression. Just doesn't sound normal to me. Can you guys / gals be so kind as to bounce your machine front end up and down with ignition on and tell me if you hear a persistent noise upon each compression / rebound. It seems to be the left ( ddc side) making the noise but hard to tell. I just can't see it being normal on this machine.

2. Bike sputters and dies upon cold starts. It acts as if a cylinder is flooded or injector stuck open? Anyone else having cold start issues? after a couple tries , it seems to idle out and run better. I am still not sure if it is idling smoothly even after it warms up. seems a bit rough but not severe by any means.

3. Poor throttle response / power between 6-8 k rpm in 2-3 gear. Is this the emissions control doing it's thing? very noticeable and unacceptable as far as I am concerned. Happy to buy the $2k titanium exhaust but concerned with engine light being on. Flash? ugh . Anyone else noticing this issue between 6-8 k rpm? did it go away when the bike was "unlocked"? I wouldn't think so but fishing for an explanation.

4. The ticking and engine noise ( especially upon start-up) doesn't overly concern me yet until BMW says theres a problem. I read a couple threads about insufficient oil pathways due to a milling depth problem but honestly don't remember the whole story without looking again. But I will say that the sound mine makes upon initial start-up ( once it finally starts) is a lot different than the sound it makes a few seconds later after the engine is running for 10 seconds or so. I am no mechanic and apologize for the Layman description of what I am experiencing. Could be tight tolerances from a new engine? or lack of oil in the places it needs to be lubricating? Or nothing at all to worry about just normal noisy BMW engine.

5. I am scheduled for my run-in check / unlock this tuesday with my semi-local dealership ( gateway BMW St. Louis) and have described all the above issues with them already but honestly , I doubt they know anymore about this bike than most of you guys. Not knocking their mechanical abilities at all. They do great work and have taken care of me so far with all my purchases from them. I do know They had a couple training sessions but its all new to them as well so they really have nothing to compare my bike to which is understandable but scary as well. sounds like they may connect computers with BMW directly the see what its doing if necessary with regard to the sputtering on cold starts / injector testing.

I really don't want my new 2020 rr pulled apart for anything! I guess one step at a time...

Maybe I can try to upload some sound / video later? oh boy that sounds like a technical challenge for me!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror
This happened to me today

#4 ·
Also experiencing that it is sputtering and dies upon cold starts.
There are also some throttle/tuning behavior unlike the older models (also have a 15) if you whack the throttle on the older models in the middle of the rev range in lower gears it hits you like a sledgehammer but this bike does not do that. This however has to be intentional by BMW.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a 15 and 18 both with RCK3 / HP Power kit. I can assure you that both will out perform this K67 at 0-140 MPH using the 2 and 3 gears. No extra ponies in USA version. At 10K this thing comes alive, at 12k you better be holding on to 14K.. it will out rocket my 15 and 18 from 12k to 14k.

The other thing no one has mentioned.. the FLUTTERING sound. That annoying frogger flutter on hard acceleration especially in the 2 and 3rd gears, but it does in 4th also. Not so much in 5 and 6.

I removed the EVAP can on the left side since I put the radiator guards on and thought maybe the sound was flutter inside that thing but it did not help one bit removing it.

The foam does not appear to be in the air box like the 17/18/19 K46 had, so that is not fluttering around inside there it appears.

Reactions: Beemeup
#7 · (Edited)

I have 1480 miles on my 2020 now today. I have already burned off 2 front tires and on my 3rd rear today. I am pretty sure if it was going to blow up it would by now.

1> I do not have any clunk noise consistently. I think, I did hear something like that upon going over a speed bump once and it surprised me I heard it, but, just figured it was the speed bump causing most of it.
2> Mine does not sputter and did not any time during the break in miles either. I have run 2 full bottles of Lucas Fuel injection cleaner in my fuel as well. I wanted to be sure if there was any injector issues from sitting on the shelf or trip from Germany to USA they got clean.
3> The throttle response is due to USA EPA requesting some limitation on carbon foot print. I guess this is how BMW engineers decided to do it. I have talked with 2 people in the Europe coded ECU bikes that indicate it is not as bad as it sounds like it is going on with the USA coded models. I have the ECE code, and I have decided I will try it this next week. I am pretty tired of my dead spot in 2 and 3 gears for sure.
4> Those ticks. Sounds like a bad shim adjustment. Mine started at 400 miles. It was perfectly quiet up to 400 there about miles. All the sudden it was like oil was missing from the top end. I rode with 2 other ///M bikes today. See pic of all of us getting rest and fuel. One has only 150 miles and the other is at 380. Neither ticks as loud as mine. However, the one with 380 miles is starting now. @bennymx posted he inquired about it with a rep and the short story is that the shift cam technology is making the noise. I really hope BennyMX can get the long version of this story. Like what the heck is loose and sounds like it is going to come apart. Mine actually stops if you Rev up the engine to 4K RPM. But the idle to 2-3K is unreal loud.
5> Even the DFW HP certified BMW did not know nor care that I had a tick in my engine. He said ride like you stole it and bring it back if it blows up. I did have them write on my service work order CUSTOMER made complaint about loud ticking in engine. Service Tech said nothing was wrong with it.
6> The seat is hard as a brick. I raced superbike for 4 years and I never used that stupid foam one layer pad on my race body kit. I like a real seat for my butt to sit on and be somewhat comfortable.

#14 ·
So I've finally opened my bike up(street racing, straight line racing older gen s1k's and others) an like you guys feels like a 300cc in 2nd 3rd gear around 5k-7k rpm. It's shocking to me, and if I could be totally honest it's embarrassing. Around here riders like to roll race. 2nd gear 40mph and I'm getting left behind by every bike. Make no mistake about it, at around 9k upwards I'm eating everything up. Just walking them all down. On a closed course track I can only imagine the disadvantage this is. I have been holding out hope that Brentuning or someone will have a flash soon so I can buy the full exhaust and get her tuned hopefully have the kinks worked out.

#18 ·
I am testing and working on it today.

#19 ·
The US Specs are the same as the Euro spec 1,3,4,5,6, Power delivery. except second gear, because of the California emissions and noise regulations. I'm told if you get the Alpha map from Germany it will fix the second gear issue falling on its face in low RPM's in second gear.

One of the first things I'm going to MOD on the New 3 Gen Bike.

#21 ·
Check your LEFT grip multi-switch screw. Mine came loose completely enough that the grip was rotating slightly front to rear. The screw and nut cannot fall out of the grip since it is overlapped by the heated grip edge rim. The screw is a Torex T15 and it location under the heated grip rim is in the front side about the middle. Just check it to see if it is tight. If it is already loose you might have to push the nut from the other side back in the plastic housing so the screw will re-thread back into it.

There was a recall on this for another year. Seems like it was 2012.

pic of screw location...

#811 ·
Check your LEFT grip multi-switch screw. Mine came loose completely enough that the grip was rotating slightly front to rear. The screw and nut cannot fall out of the grip since it is overlapped by the heated grip edge rim. The screw is a Torex T15 and it location under the heated grip rim is in the front side about the middle. Just check it to see if it is tight. If it is already loose you might have to push the nut from the other side back in the plastic housing so the screw will re-thread back into it.

There was a recall on this for another year. Seems like it was 2012.

pic of screw location...

had the same exact issue 2020 M model

#27 ·
I do not understand what you are saying. What would be the case if the bike was made in the US.?

In my mind, regardless of where the bike is made and/or what regulations it must meet it should offer smooth acceleration without dead spots. It may not be as powerful it could otherwise be at a given RPM/throttle position, but it must be at least smooth a sufficiently linear it is pleasant to ride.

If a tuner's only interest is maximum power at each RPM a bike rides poorly with on/off throttle feel, poor throttle modulation, etc. If you tune solely to regulations you end up with the same mess.

The bike also should not stall. :)

#33 ·
Too true! My '15 Premium runs like a champ!

Seriously, first model bugs are always going to be there. We have been spoiled by what has been an almost perfect bike over the past five years. I'm confident that BMW will sort out all the issues in due course!

#30 ·
I noticed this as well. It seems like a lag in power til it reaches a high enough rpm in the lower gears. Much harder to do normal clutch up wheelies as well as getting a good launch from a dig especially if you start in a lower rpm. I thought it was just me since after I installed my full Evo exhaust and got the engine code.

#31 ·
Who the hell clutches up a wheelie on a S100RR? All the bike needs is a little throttle blip for all day hooliganism!

Ride it on the track, and that low speed issue should never come up.

#32 ·
Having issues with my new 2020 m s1k also.

1. Pops and through intake on cold starts wants to **** off.

2. Clunking from front end when going over some bumps

3. Bogs down in 2-3 gear when full Throttle.

4. This M seat has got to go. I have 750 miles on the bike.

I encourage people call bmw motorrad USA to report their issues.

#34 ·
I took my 2020 to the dealership today for the run-in check / oil change and to dig into the issues I am experiencing.

1. Clunky noise from front shock: acknowledged but no determination as to what is causing it. Another 2020 RR on the showroom floor had a similar clunky sound when bounced stationary .

2. Cold start issues: acknowledged but no determination as to what is causing it. Interestingly , the other 2020 on the showroom floor does Not have the cold start sputtering , sucking air sound , dying issue when started from a cold start. ( room temp) as of yet.

3 . Low Power delivery at 5-7 rpm 2-3rd gear: Acknowledged but no fix.

They ( dealership service department) are currently Waiting on BMW to respond to their request for technical support and have reported all the mentioned issues to BMW. Giving it another hour or so and then Im loading the bike and heading home ( 3 hr trip) .

I would strongly suggest anyone having any issues , report it to your dealership so we can continue to provide BMW with new 20 RR owner experience information. Take it in and get a ticket going in the dealership system so BMW can look at what they report to BMW. It the only way the BMW problem solvers that provide “fix” solutions to the service departments are going to respond to these issues quickly. ( ish. Been here all day!)

So not everyone is experiencing the cold start issue? And not everyone is experiencing a chatter/ clunky sound from the front end over small consecutive bumps or while bouncing it at a standstill while ignition is on (and ear buds out of coarse) ? Power delivery in that mid-range 2-3rd gear seems to be on all the bikes from what I am hearing yes? I realize not every 2020 RR owner is on this forum but I think enough are here to help determine what issues are common and what may be intermittent between bike builds or groups of bikes.

I’ll keep you posted if BMW has anything clear to say other than “ yes we are aware of it”

#36 ·
Hmmmm, I put 161 miles on my '15 on the way to work and back this last Friday thru the mtn's......and had none of those issues. Glad I kept my '15..... :)

Hope y'all get it figured out, sounds like it's Big Brother dialing back the throttle on you....

Reactions: 1000rrLee
#38 ·
Couple of thoughts:

1. Dylan Code - You have a fleet of these new bikes...what are you seeing? Similar issues?

2. If you want to prod BMW, a word to the right journalist that the new 2020 RR is having "teething pains" might get a mention in print media; I can't imagine BMW being able to ignore that.

It's difficult to believe BMW did a "rush job" on this bike, but perhaps they were just feeling the pressure of the competition gaining on their RR and felt the need to do too much in one go...?

#39 ·
The cold start and flat spot are simple mapping issues. There will be an updated map by BMW at some point, or tuners will address it. That can be guaranteed. No big deal at all. The clunky noise in the suspension. No idea on that one. Once again, however, no big deal. The ticking noise. That may be normal. At the end of the day, the issues are small and will be fixed. No need to circle the wagons. My bike has no cold-start issue and I will go with the Akra once a map is available. As such, points one and two mean nothing. As to the forks I will listen. Either way, that is a minor worry. If that is an issue no big deal, or maybe it is normal. Finally as to the ticking, it may be entirely normal. if it is an issue, I will ride the fook out of it and BMW will fix it. The end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.