BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2020 RR Post your mechanical issues

188K views 835 replies 118 participants last post by  thommoutb 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So now that a few have had their 2020 RRs for a week or more, I wanted to see what build/quality issues ( if any) anyone has experienced. I have a couple of issues and want to know if they are isolated to my bike or maybe a more widespread problem for BMW.

1. I am getting a "clunk" sound from the front fork/shock when rolling over consecutive small bumps on the road. It is most noticeable when I let off the throttle and come to a rolling stop at a stop light or sign. As the shock compresses and rebounds and absorbs the bumps, it gives a clunk clunk clunk sound ( if you will). It almost sounds like a plastic rattle, and I thought it was maybe a rattle from some plastics but discovered that is not the case. When I turn the ignition on and the suspension de-compresses ( if you will ), I can bounce the front end up and down, and the clunk persists upon each rebound/compression. It just doesn't sound normal to me. Can you guys/gals be so kind as to bounce your machine front end up and down with the ignition on and tell me if you hear a persistent noise upon each compression/rebound? It seems to be the left ( DDC side) making the noise but hard to tell. I can't see it being normal on this machine.

2. Bike sputters and dies upon cold starts. It acts as if a cylinder is flooded or the injector is stuck open. Is anyone else having cold start issues? After a couple of tries, it seems to idle out and run better. I am still unsure if it is idling smoothly, even after it warms up. It looks a bit rough but not severe by any means.

3. Poor throttle response/power between 6-8 k rpm in 2-3 gears. Is this the emissions control doing its thing? Very noticeable and unacceptable as far as I am concerned. Happy to buy the $2k titanium exhaust but concerned with the engine light being on. Flash? Ugh. Is anyone else noticing this issue between 6-8 k rpm? Did it go away when the bike was "unlocked"? I wouldn't think so but fishing for an explanation.

4. The ticking and engine noise (primarily upon start-up) doesn't overly concern me until BMW says there's a problem. I read a couple of threads about insufficient oil pathways due to a milling depth problem but honestly don't remember the whole story without looking again. But I will say that the sound mine makes upon initial start-up ( once it finally starts) is a lot different than the sound it makes a few seconds later after the engine runs for 10 seconds or so. I am no mechanic, and I apologize for Layman's description of what I am experiencing. Could it be tight tolerances from a new engine? Or lack of oil in the places it needs to be lubricated? Or nothing at all to worry about, just a regular noisy BMW engine.

5. I am scheduled for my run-in check / unlock this Tuesday with my semi-local dealership ( gateway BMW St. Louis) and have described all the above issues with them already, but honestly, I doubt they know more about this bike than most of you guys. I do not knock their mechanical abilities at all. They do great work and have taken care of me so far with all my purchases from them. They had a couple of training sessions, but it's all new to them, so they have nothing to compare my bike to, which is understandable but also scary. It sounds like they may connect computers with BMW directly the see what it's doing, if necessary, about the sputtering on cold starts/injector testing.

I don't want my new 2020 RR pulled apart for anything! I guess one step at a time ...

But I do Love the 3-year 36k warranty ( just in case)

Other than these issues, a great bike so far. ( BUTT, that M seat has got to go!)

Maybe I can try to upload some sound/video later? Oh boy, that sounds like a technical challenge for me!

Thank you so much for your attention and participation. I hope to hear from new 2020 RR owners on this and more.

See less See more
#494 · (Edited)
I had a rear shock expire on my 2015 with only 3k miles. They ordered it and seems like 2-3 weeks. I still rode my 15 at the time as it was not leaking really bad like yours. I have a rear shock with only 2k miles as a spare for my 20 now.

My thumb wheel is not doing too good either, but it is still functional. Seems loose and not tight like it was. The older one from the R1200 will work on there. I have one of those in case my breaks completely.

#497 ·
I doubt that MY2021 wil have most, if couple, of these issues fixed. Most of these parts were manufactured and practically stored for couple of years worth of motorcycles.

Things like oil cooler recall and brake caliper orings wil be addressed. But if one is hoping to see new front forks, rear shock, cf wheels, new calipers, loss of power software update, or oil pump redesign so it doesn't leak, I highly doubt it. As mentioned in other posts, BMW wil just address the concerns when an issue appears. But when these issues arise and warranty had expired, though luck. These bikes are already valued less in my books. Buying a used one without warranty, I would think twice..

#500 ·
The GM has to boot the TFT. When you key on, and you do not wait on the splash screen to at least stop moving and try to hit the starter button, you have interrupted the CAN BUS and the TFT is slightly affected by this. I have seen the TFT very slow to come up if you key on and hit start immediately.

#502 ·
My TFT completely turned off on my while riding once after my last update. Music turned off too. The bike did not turn off. I was riding then my music turned off. I looked at the dash and it was off. Then after about two seconds it turned back on. Only happened that one time. I always let the dash boot up prior to turning the bike on.

#511 ·
It was not unexpected that my left heel guard had decided it was time for it to go on its own adventures. So based on the bmw schedule, next thing to go will be the rear shock. #premiumbrand
View attachment 212295
Same thing happened to my left heel guard! The dealer said BMW denied the claim after they installed it they wanted me to pay $75 for parts and labor. I told them I wasn't paying for it. They said my heel must have broken it..... I told them, thats like saying the wind broke the windscreen. They did not charge me and said they will figure it out on their end. I told them to make BMW pay for it because I sure wasn't. Scroll up a few pages and you'll see the picture of my heel guard in this thread.

#516 ·
Couple things have been happening with my bike and I’d like to see if anyone else as noticed it. First: on my 2020 s1k when I approach a red light for example in 1st gear as soon as I get to a certain speed or rpm, close to like 10 mph, the bike will make a single backfire in the exhaust and the whole bike will noticeable buck forward. Happens every time in first or second gear. Seems like something to do with exhaust back pressure maybe? Secondly: When cruising on the highway whenever I’m around the 5k rpm area and holding the throttle open at a certain point I can actually feel the bike start to pull forward as if I’m opening the throttle and then close and it repeats this over and over whenever I hold the throttle in one position and usually close to 5k. Anyone noticed this?

#523 ·
Its in your code. There have been updates to resolve part throttle feel issues. If you miss shift sometimes, there is a jumping feel when the throttle is closed on down shift, and then even on part throttle up shift mis-shifts

Good code does not have this issue as in , My EXWERKS V1 nor V2 have any issues like this.

Reactions: Xanderman
#524 ·
How can you tell if your rear shock is leaking? I have noticed some small amount of oily dirt in the top of the shock. Did someone here post pictures about it? So far my bike only have one front leaking caliper and the oil leak on the oil pump. Probably will be going to the dealer next week or so.

#528 ·
For sure it's the seal, but for now the bike is still at home. The shop manager didn't want the bike laying in the shop for a month, he ordered the shock with the pictures I took. So we decided that they would order the parts and get it towed once they have everything needed to fix it.

#531 ·
Just missed the first race of the year because my new s1000rr is at the BMW dealer trying to diagnose 2 separate fault codes.. one for the lambda sensor (not covered under warranty because I changed the exhaust) the other is a shiftcam error and now they’re replacing both servo’s.

Just over 900km on the bike..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#532 ·
Just missed the first race of the year because my new s1000rr is at the BMW dealer trying to diagnose 2 separate fault codes.. one for the lambda sensor (not covered under warranty because I changed the exhaust) the other is a shiftcam error and now they’re replacing both servo’s.

Just over 900km on the bike..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not covered my ass. If the sensor has failed its got nothing to do with changing the exhaust. For fks sake. Whats the go with the shift cam? Solenoids that control it are faulty?

#539 ·
Regarding the shiftcam technology, has anyone here had have the "big" shiftcam service? Probably not many of us, since I think it's the 30,000 km service and many haven't pass 5,000 km because of the mechanical/reliability issues. Still would be interesting to know what the service entails and how much more expensive is compared to a "regular" service.

#544 ·
Dealer tried that sh-t with me. I told them I was NOT paying for it. I got a little loud with the service manager (Tyler). I did not pay for it. Don’t know if the dealer ended up paying for it or if they got BMW to cover it. Now I try to keep my heels off them because I know they are cheap.

Once Bnombe trades me his nice rearsets I shouldn’t have any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.