2020 2D Racing Front Sensor Install - Working / Not Working K67 S1000RR - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

2020 2D Racing Front Sensor Install - Working / Not Working K67 S1000RR

So I thought it might be best to do a thread on this 2D sensor install because this is the unofficial carry over install from the K46. It failed, and it worked. Do I recommend others to try this? No, not really unless you are very handy with drilling and tapping holes in a very nice new front fork.

The upper bracket will work on the fork tube. I tried in the same mounting method as you would have instructions for with 2D Racing sensor install. The lower bracket would not fit the brake caliper mounting point at all. So I had to come up with a mounting the quickest possible way so not to spend alot of time on something that might not even work. So I drilled a hole in my front lower fork stantion. It was only a 4mm hole, so I was not concerned with the hole if it did not work. Sure enough it does not work well. It was impossible to see the turning radius completely without getting the whole thing mounted and in working condition. The turning was greatly reduced because of the just installed EVOTECH radiator guards. 2D racing has some work to do in figuring out how to get around the clearance issues if the K67 has radiator guards in place too.

Install try number 2. I already saw the compression and rebound in the TFT cluster and I was like 'yes' .. success at least on getting the ECU to see the sensor. So I decided that in the front of the fork tube was next. This location is not ideal because alot of bugs, rocks, birds, and whatever else might fly up off the road can hit the sensor really easy now. I decided its got to mount somehow. So I swing the top bracket around, and the lower needs to be drilled again. This time I decide to thread tap the hole M4 and screw the stand off in there and attachment ball. This worked really well. Wish I had threaded the other hole M4 and you would barely see it and just thought it was a factory hole.

As you can see in the pics, both sides of the tube I show you.

Does it make a difference in the ride? Not exactly like it does on the K46. I am not sure why, but in my 140 miles of testing today, the squat off the corner reaction was not the same as the K46. I am sure it is due to the swing arm type and how it is designed to react to start with. Maybe the code is different and an update is coming. The ECU does see the sensor and provide the compression and rebound now at least.

Riding and loving my 2020 K67 with the custom XWORKS ECU
Check out MotoMillion ( forum Vendor section ) for all your needs in ECU work
Check out MotoMillion also has programming for RCK3 / HP power Kit enables now
Programmer for MotoMillion is myself ( BMW_388 )
I personally own the 2014, 2015, 2018, 2020 S1000RR
This makes for checking my ECU work is perfect every time sold by MotoMillion

Last edited by BMW_388; 06-14-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Thank god for you, already drilling holes in the thing haha..
Mk4UmHa, bennymx and BMW_388 like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 AM

He's like the mad scientist.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Sent me a text, had the fairings off with Like 4miles on the bike, I’m like youre a mad man! Haha I had a 700 mile head start, and he passed me in a week
bennymx and BMW_388 like this.

Last edited by Illusionalta; 06-18-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Have you tested how much free play there is when the front is completely extended? I did this a couple of months ago and found that the 150mm stroke was not long enough for the standard K67 front fork.

I have fitted a 175mm in the rear and 100mm in the rear. The front is standard fork with ohlins cartridge, rear is ohlins shock.

I have no DDC and this was purely for the 2D system.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRS View Post
Have you tested how much free play there is when the front is completely extended? I did this a couple of months ago and found that the 150mm stroke was not long enough for the standard K67 front fork.

I have fitted a 175mm in the rear and 100mm in the rear. The front is standard fork with ohlins cartridge, rear is ohlins shock.

I have no DDC and this was purely for the 2D system.

Its all in the mounting to make what you got work.

The upper bracket as you can see in the 2nd phase of mounting is BELOW the triple clamp. There is alot of sensor travel with the clamp below rather than above like it mounts on the K46. The location of where I drilled and tapped the M4 is just about even with where it would have mounted if the bracket had worked on the caliper boss. I could have made the bracket work for the caliper boss, but that would have made the sensor right back in the location behind the fork tube and hitting the radiator EVOTECH guard.

I like the mounting and the clearance I have achieved. I just need to hope I dont have a large bug, rock, bird strike right on the sensor. So far in 150 miles no issues.

I have installed the 2D Datalogger now yesterday so I will see what data comes across on that device.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 AM

Apparently Alpha racing is due to release a bracket for 2D sensor.

Could have waited a lil bit longer instead of drilling holes in forks.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
Apparently Alpha racing is due to release a bracket for 2D sensor.

Could have waited a lil bit longer instead of drilling holes in forks.
He aint called the mad scientist for nothing.
the_gooch, wfo439, BMW_388 and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Garage
So looking at the 2D website, they have multiple types of potentiometer measurement instruments. Now, I know the lasers would be a simple installation but expensive purchase I saw a quote for 2500 euro. They also have wire potentiometers which could also work in the tight spaces we have available. Would it feasible to use a different type of measuring device? contactless or wire verses a linear potentiometer?

Displacement - 2D Debus & Diebold Me▀systeme GmbH

2020 BMW S1000rr ()
2013 BMW S1000rr (Gone)
2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 (Gone)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Gone)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Gone)

Last edited by Carlito; 08-29-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
So looking at the 2D website, they have multiple types of potentiometer measurement instruments. Now, I know the lasers would be a simple installation but expensive purchase I saw a quote for 2500 euro. They also have wire potentiometers which could also work in the tight spaces we have available. Would it feasible to use a different type of measuring device? contactless or wire verses a linear potentiometer?

Displacement - 2D Debus & Diebold Me▀systeme GmbH
the S1000RR ECU is setup for a 6k ohm double rail potentiometer. Someone tried a 10k single rail and it did not work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode