PSA: Integrated Tail Lights Illegal In CA - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

PSA: Integrated Tail Lights Illegal In CA

Forewarning to those who care. I wish I would have known before changing mine out...

Edit*
apparently this is a federal law so not legal anywhere!? You can find mention of them needing to be 9” apart at the bottom of this link:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...sec571-108.xml

How is it that no one mentions this on sites like revzilla??

Last edited by ErockBoulder; 06-06-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErockBoulder View Post
Because few care if their mods are legal.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

'15 S1000RR
Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 PM

revzilla ships outta vegas. they don't give a f*ck about puny ca laws.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 AM

california is gorgeous geographically.... but im pretty sure its the shittiest state government in the US by a large margin.
CYCLE_MONKEY, 19s1k and Motorrad99 like this.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
california is gorgeous geographically.... but im pretty sure its the shittiest state government in the US by a large margin.

Dude, I was born in SoCal and have lived here all of my 62 years. I have everything I could ever want and couldn’t dream of ever leaving.

That said......

You are totally right.

I let politics sort itself out most of my life, but the last 5 years have been shedding light on the major fu<kups that lead and represent California. I’ve started dreaming of moving out after retirement in a year or two....incomprehensible only a short time ago. Hopefully the wife comes around on this, lol.

2017 S1000RR
2013 K1600 GTL
Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErockBoulder View Post
Forewarning to those who care. I wish I would have known before changing mine out...

Edit*
apparently this is a federal law so not legal anywhere!? You can find mention of them needing to be 9” apart at the bottom of this link:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...sec571-108.xml

Because it is owner responsibility to ensure compliance after purchase. It only needs to conform when initially sold and after that its fair game for anything really... ANY modification to the original lighting system not stamped with a DOT logo or molded into the lens is ILLEGAL... which is essentially all but OEM because the expensive testing to conform to standards cuts into profits.
RRob and beech like this.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
It is up there for sure as one of the most controlled states New York State also comes to mind well a lot of the north east states that is New Jersey isn't any better I grew up there and would never move back ever... I have been in GA for the past 23 years and only an hours ride from really nice mountain roads... but I see you are in Thailand I am sure that is a fun place I also bet the riding can be very nice as well.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw_39 View Post
It is up there for sure as one of the most controlled states New York State also comes to mind well a lot of the north east states that is New Jersey isn't any better I grew up there and would never move back ever... I have been in GA for the past 23 years and only an hours ride from really nice mountain roads... but I see you are in Thailand I am sure that is a fun place I also bet the riding can be very nice as well.
oh man how could i forget those 2 dumps, NY and NJ lol.. yeah they give CA a run for its money on shitty gov
theres a few nice mountain areas in NY, but CA has NY/NJ beat on climate and geography hands down... which makes it even more of a shame that the gov is so ****.
ive spent time in all 4 that you just mentioned... would agree GA the best choice out of those... i enjoyed some time in NC, great driving/riding around there, but totally whack alcohol laws.

FL has much better laws than CA, and great beaches, but unfortunately flat as a board, not much in the way of twisties and good driving roads.

back on topic... anyone research or know offhand how much the fine / ticket is for the integrated tail light in CA ?
is it just a fix-it ticket?
or do they take your car/bike right there on the spot? (i know that sounds ridiculous but many things in CA are ridiculous so i wouldnt rule it out lol)
CYCLE_MONKEY, Kiev1981 and 19s1k like this.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Dude, I was born in SoCal and have lived here all of my 62 years. I have everything I could ever want and couldn’t dream of ever leaving.

That said......

You are totally right..

lol... CA has some absolutely GORGEOUS places... ive been lucky to visit a few... LOVE the giant sequoia forests.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Garage
I do some backroad commuting at night and we all know that the stock RR headlights aren't the best. I installed the RR specific Clearwater Darla kit and man, what a difference. 2,000/4,000 lumens on low/high setting. Huge increase in visibility and safety, but also very illegal. California doesn't have the market cornered on stupid "unapproved accessory" laws. All states have 'em.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in