PSA: Integrated Tail Lights Illegal In CA - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I see a lot of hate for CA Gov and want to remind everyone that this is a federal law, itís not legal anywhere technically.

As for revzilla, I would at least expect something stating itís not for street use. I like options but I also like being informed and if one doesnít find out the hard way or google ďis this legalĒ one would never know.

Just venting since I wasted $150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 PM

I am confused why you say you wasted $150. You haven't received a ticket for the light (unless I missed something), the system works and you bought it because you like the way it looks. Are you that worried about this? Do you really think you are going to get pulled over for it and suffer some terrible consequences?
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this".
S1000RR (hers) | 350EXC (hers) | XT250 (hers)
ST4s (mine) | R1250GSA (mine) | 500EXC (mine)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 PM

And so are most after market pipes and kangaroo leather. In 50 years of riding here I've violated all of these and never got nicked for it, even after being pulled over for being quick. It just is not a high priority at least not in my neck of the woods.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_focker View Post
I am confused why you say you wasted $150. You haven't received a ticket for the light (unless I missed something), the system works and you bought it because you like the way it looks. Are you that worried about this? Do you really think you are going to get pulled over for it and suffer some terrible consequences?
Personally no, but I rent my bike out and certainly donít want to inconvenience someone else. Not good for business...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower View Post
And so are most after market pipes and kangaroo leather. In 50 years of riding here I've violated all of these and never got nicked for it, even after being pulled over for being quick. It just is not a high priority at least not in my neck of the woods.
Thanks, someone who rented my bike actually got stopped for it. Thankfully they showed their military ID and were let go.

Kangaroo leather? What is that?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:51 PM
Elk

Items made of Kangaroo leather are illegal in California, including riding gear.

See, here, for the long history of California banning Kangaroo products beginning in 1971. The ban was lifted for a while, but came back into effect on January 1, 2016.

I have no idea why the two and one-half year lull in enforcement.
CYCLE_MONKEY, s_focker and netaron like this.

'15 S1000RR
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Location: My new house (La Villa Strangiato!) in Rio Rancho NM, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErockBoulder View Post
I see a lot of hate for CA Gov and want to remind everyone that this is a federal law, itís not legal anywhere technically.

As for revzilla, I would at least expect something stating itís not for street use. I like options but I also like being informed and if one doesnít find out the hard way or google ďis this legalĒ one would never know.

Just venting since I wasted $150.
It's wasted only if you get a ticket....

I rode for all my years in CA (from '84 to '91) with STUPID loud full race exhaust because there were no db restrictions then on race pipes (ah, the GOOD old days!), and was never once hassled, let alone written a ticket for it.

There's TONS of people out there with stupid bright LED replacement kits for their cars/trucks, and they never get tickets. Don't worry about it.
s_focker likes this.

Making America Great Again, one melted snowflake at a time......

"Madness": 2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies".
'01 Suzuki Gixxer 1k Blu/Wht (Sold - 79k miles).
'91 Kawasaki KX500 (Still got it).
'86 Suzuki Gixxer 1100 Blu/Wht (Sold - 68k miles).
'83 Suzuki GS1100ES Red/Blk (Sold - 60k miles).
'82 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Sold - 50k miles).

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
comments regarding cali gov werent limited to just this light law, or even vehicle mod laws in general.

that being said... certain federal laws are more actively enforced in some places compared to others.

not having a cat is probably illegal everywhere i would assume.... but id been pulled over 50+ times in FL and only 1 cop ever checked (from the sound it was obvious i didnt have one, but i guess most too lazy to crouch down and check)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Elk

Quote:
I see a lot of hate for CA Gov and want to remind everyone that this is a federal law . . .
Vehicle lighting requirements are governed by the States. For California, see 13 CCR ß 699 Turn Signal Lamps. CA requires 9 inch separation. Other states require only that the lights clearly indicate the intention of the rider at 100 feet, etc.
TheRoadWarrior likes this.

'15 S1000RR
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
NY isn't any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode