Review your new 2020 RR here - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Review your new 2020 RR here

Apologies to sro...but having new 2020 owners review/comment on the new RR in one place should make for interesting reading. Since owners will span the spectrum from city street riders, to canyon carvers, to track maniacs, these reviews will offer insight into the characteristics of this new bike from widely-varying perspectives.

Please add your own review...and if this thread turns out to be a dud, I have no problem if sro deletes it. But I, for one, am really curious what you think.

Thanks in advance...
CYCLE_MONKEY and clayman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Consider this a placeholder, as I really want to get more miles on my bike and get it unlocked before I begin to review it. I can say so far I'm extremely pleased and impressed. There are really great things to come from this new gen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4244113F-2474-4439-B4AF-293234975FFE_1559572772130.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	200610  
flyryder and FatWilbur like this.

Last edited by CenterFire; 06-03-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 AM

Review your new 2020 RR here

A few days of ownership in , and 700KM down. (EDIT update June 9th post run in at bottom)

After picking the bike up I headed for the hills, in the rain .

as the rain got heavier and heavier I finally gave in and headed home, 100 KM of wet roads, brand new tyres and testing the Traction control, All passed ok !

The next day the sun wash shining (a bit for winter ) and a group of like minded desperados headed for Licola in the Victoria east for some corners....

Rain mode to start the day again, and gradually went through the other modes and once we hit the twistier, tyres scrubbed in I selected RACE ! and suitably got my ass moving.

Still rev limited (I'll update this post more as I pass run in mode) but most of the corners call out for the low down geared torque, and even in the top of the gearbox, (on a private road) you could close in on 200kph.

Licola road has a mix of surfaces some smooth corners, some rutted and ups and downs, bumps and humps.

Really good test of a bike.

for a start my M sport came with the Metzler racetec RR K3 tyres and now they're paired with dry roads, they feel great , lean angles out to 50 degrees im sure theyre scrubbed in now !

First time owning a BMW and first time with electronic suspension, My previous bikes, RSV4s 2016, R1 all have either Ohlins or K-tech suspension and it's a strange feeling having the suspension stiffen up when i switch the bike from Rain to Road Dynamic and finally to Race for the run out along 60km of twisties !

The induction road as you pass 5,000rpm is beautiful , I cant wait to hear it with a proper pipe.

Coming in hot into a tight corner, the brakes work well, good feel, decent bike but not grabby.

the geometry feels different to the r1 as the bike tips in. mid corner feels right , and on the power wind on , all feels right with the world !

Repeat,

All the fuss about brakes , and i have to say they're 100% better than the R1 was out of the box, and during the 120km run , i didnt think twice about them , that's a good thing , compared to my current setup with 19RCS and DP brake pads, I didn't notice anything less than awesome braking, no fade nothing but good news on this front.

Anyone unfamiliar with linked brakes is going to notice that though , where the brakes apply a little rear brake for you , in heavy braking situations, this feels different, once used to it , it barely registers though.

Suspension, RACE preset along with its DDC settings feels almost spot on, Before leaving home a friend helped me set the SAGS for the bike, and with those perfectly in range, the rest should be easy ! Although I can see a lot of people will need lighter springs.

As I get more comfortable with the bike, I'm closer to my normal pace , and feeling more confident every corner.

An early day off work today and I get out for another couple of hundred KM's in the hills, This time to "chum creek" for some suspension tuning.

I setup race pro modes 1- 3 all with the same Engine, engine braking and other settings except suspension, and this have set slightly harder, then "middle" then softer.

On the fly i can switch from race to race pro1/2/3 and feel for differences...

I keep coming back to the standard RACE setting... unsure what the actual DDC settings are , the manual just calls it "suitable for Track riding" it feels like everything is at the half-way mark.

I think I'll end up with customized race pro modes for Rain , comfort and Sports riding.

First service due for Friday this week I'm looking forward getting to know the bikes true identity, now we've got to know each other a little.... time for second base..

For reference:
I’m 6foot
110 kg
Late 40’s
No commuting only fast sports riding.
Run 1:45 around Phillip island.

June 9th - Post run in -

UNLEASH the BEAST !

up to around 1,400km now, and some serious twisties this morning through Eildon to Jamieson, Vic (aus)

Flickable - hell yeah , I've owned RSV4 in the past and went from the std wheels on that to forged wheels and the difference was huge, and you can feel how easy the bike is to turn . part in due I'm sure to the super light wheels.

Compared to my current R1 2016, It tips in easier, but so far it doesnt feel as confident on the tip in , but mid corner, and corner exit are fine.

The tip-in "unease" may just be down to weight distribution or something , I plan to do some tweaking on that as time permits. I also plan on putting on my Std tyre choice to take those sort of things out of the equation . the Metzlers will be done soon , especially the front... its soft !

bumps mid corner are a little bit of an issue for me , my K-Tech equipped R1 holds a line like its on rails regardless of the corner gyrations, needs some work to get this handling the same way .

Under hard braking the DDC seems ok , its not diving hard or anything like that.
And to re-iterate my initial thoughts on brakes, the brakes are great , no problems there at all , no fade, no issues, just solid braking.

Now its unlimited, The power, woosh , it gets there so quickly, and my brain (and vision) needs time to adjust to it ...

I cant wait for the luggage to arrive, so i don't have to deal with back pack riding...I find it distracting.

As for reviews from my riding buddies, they HATE the brake lights / indicators.

During sunny days the indicators are apparently VERY difficult to see when braking.

Im enjoying the "getting to know you " phase, any questions let me know or PM me ..

A B, Fbto, Mk4UmHa and 12 others like this.

Last edited by stu_h; 06-09-2019 at 04:01 AM.

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM

Great "pre-break in" review stu_h.

Can you tell us a bit about you, like size, weight, and maybe age. This way we know if the review is coming from someone like Pedrosa or Michael Dunlop (or somewhere in between) -- If you don't mind.

Look forward to hear your "post-break in" review.

BTW, beautiful bike and pictures.

2015 S1000RR
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Great "pre-break in" review stu_h.

Can you tell us a bit about you, like size, weight, and maybe age. This way we know if the review is coming from someone like Pedrosa or Michael Dunlop (or somewhere in between) -- If you don't mind.
updated original post (for some reason I can't edit on web only on Tapatalk app )
post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 PM

post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:33 PM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_h View Post
I keep coming back to the standard RACE setting... unsure what the actual DDC settings are , the manual just calls it "suitable for Track riding" it feels like everything is at the half-way mark.
Nice review!

How does the DDC feel under hard braking?

Would the DDC handle the track well? (Top of A group to race pace)

How flickable is the RR compared to R1?

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 AM

This is completely subjective. Gunna have to find out for yourself on this one.
sro likes this.
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simes007us View Post
This is completely subjective. Gunna have to find out for yourself on this one.
Exactly...and that's what I'm after. You get enough people who have bought 2020 RR's, riding under widely-varying conditions, and writing reviews (with subjective bias), you'll wind up with enough intersecting datapoints to allow the bias to be filtered out.

Not planning to buy one since my '17 is excellent, but the build-up to the new RR has been so enormous that it will be interesting to see if the reality matches the hype. Remember when the HP4 came out? It was a game-changer...now it's old technology.

Already there are interesting comments regarding the TFT display...but there will also be comments about the bike's performance compared to the prior generation, which should make good reading. The new RR may be a track monster, but will that translate to a user-friendly street machine? Just curious, is all...
CYCLE_MONKEY and stu_h like this.
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:58 PM

Well, IMO torque and agility are the only concerning factors on a road as your rarely doing over 120. Or you are riding boring straight roads. And the new RR has more of both from what we are being told. People are unlikely to do consecutive 300 mile days regularly on a sport bike so comfort is secondary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in