• Fuel tank protector

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Frame/axle sliders

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Exhaust/tune

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Rearsets

Votes: 2 3.6%

What are you doing first to your 2020 RR? Post pics or links of your future mods

40K views 218 replies 51 participants last post by  15blkRR 
#1 · (Edited)
I think the first thing I’d like to do is paint protection film. Need to do some research on it. List your mods in order. paste links or pictures

#8 ·
I hope its Matte Black, you'll have at least..1 fan here.

How can you ride like you stole it on public roads ? Especially in the US
Depends how you plan to ride it, however I recommend getting up super early to do before a lot of motorists head out for the day. Do a once over if planning on hitting curves or check for police if you feel like heading into triple digits on the highway.

#5 ·
Ride it like I stole it 625 miles ! If the thing is as good as my 2015 has lasted 25000 very hard miles, then the love continues with BMW Motorrad. My 2018 only as 4500 miles on it so far. It is awesome !

Just to outline my process and why if any of you are interested in the same method of break in.

Brand new ! Sniff it a little. Love the smell of new.
Get home and start the engine a little so some more new smell is there...
Ride it out to Hwy 121. This is the mountain simulation on Isle of the Man. I can do 129MPH on it for the whole 10 miles of sweeper curves. I will limit to 100 in first 50 miles.
Return home and I should have 50 miles on it. Change the oil. Its called break in oil for a reason. I keep a sample to send to Chicago BlackStone labs.
Go back to Hwy 121. Now I am ready for 129 in some short runs.
Change the oil one more time at 250 miles. Keep a sample again for BlackStone Labs.
Continue running in at various speeds and RPM's to the 625 miles.
Now BMW gets to service it and change the oil again, remove limiter.... Go have more fun on FM697. 14 miles 41 curves.

Look forward to posting on this in 3 weeks.

As to mods.. Radiator guards are 100% first. Then abuse the brakes so I can complain about them. Well, I have the GP4's to remove from my 18 and my MotoGP master cylinder. I just got to see how those Hayes really feel in my world of riding.
Then I hope my buddy gets the Red bike and he still wants to trade my Motorrad Colors for his Red plastic. If not.. oh well. There is a wrap for that.

#12 ·
First 'mod' will be a screen protector. If you've ever tried to clean a 'naked' BMW TFT screen (GS, etc.) without it going all streaky, you'll understand.
Crash bungs (R&G).
Tank pad (BMW)
Tank grips (Techspec snakeskin)
RAM mount (Telferizer)

And when I can acquire a 'scrap' pillion seat, I'm planning to do some kind of Heath-Robinson hack to mount a decent size tail bag securely.

#21 ·
Ride north 250 miles the. Turn around and ride it back to the dealer with with a lil under 600 miles for the 1st service. I prefer to break it in on the more aggressive side. My 2015 current s1k has over 58k miles on it. Looking forward to taking this bike up to Deal's Gap and Barber or Road Atlanta ASAP.

#24 ·
BMW genuine accessories:
Rad guard
Oil cooler guard
M brake and clutch levers
M Rear seats
M tail bag
M tank bag
M tinted tall windscreen
M axle sliders
TFT screen protector

Aftermarket accessories:
Fit my R1 muffler to new bike
Fit GPS to new bike
Evotech fender eliminator
GB racing engine covers
Paint protection film

#26 ·
I wasn't aware BMW had their own rad guard. Let me know if you're doing your own paint protection film and what brand it is. I'm either doing that or ceramic coating it. I need to look at all the M accessories.

#34 · (Edited)
Did anyone notice these are POLYAMIDE material based guards?

These are not your COX metal screens. I have no experience with other brands as my GSXR's and now my 2 BMW have Cox metal screen type guards.

I had suspected that a Polyamide was Nylon.. but, checking google for the science of it...

The main difference between Nylon and Polyamide is that the Nylon is a family of synthetic polymers originally developed as textile fibers and Polyamide is a macromolecule with repeating units linked by amide bonds.

My deduction from that is that BMW was seeking further light weight and a good strength product. I would still call it a Nylon based item if I was holding it in my hands, but it appears it is a better product.

Found this interesting.. I know this rivet very well. I have put in so many of these in cars these days. It appears it is a Polyamide product. It is very strong.

https://www.fabory.com/en/screw-rivet-plastic-polyamide-(nylon)-pa-6-6/p/56818

#45 ·
wfo...it sounds like you've been fortunate to evade problems with LE in your riding. There's a paramedic team that works the canyon roads I ride most of the time; their descriptions of the human wreckage they've scraped off the road (and off the road) are grisly, to say the least. Some of the riders involved were "good" riders, but had the bad luck to find a new pothole, wet patch or rock where none usually exist.

Compared to you, I probably do ride like a grandma, but that's probably not the case in reality. If you are playing "mine is bigger than yours", I'm not interested. It's interesting, though, that boasting about how fast riders ride on public roads are posts that get applauded, while posts about being safe are derided. Ask Nick Ienatsch which kind he'd single out for approval.

Sorry if I touched a nerve.

#47 ·
Nick can't be trusted, he rides a Yamaha..... :grin2::grin2:
OK OK just kidding. Nick is very good friend and instructor to some "very fast "road going folks. That would include me. We all ride at our own pace. What's important is to have fun. I know the day I crash on the road, due to the speed, it's unlikely I will come out with just a broken leg.... It probably won't even be painful..... There is no fun going any slower though :serious: Can't be at the track every weekend..... That being said, I'm less dangerous to myself on the road than a lot of riders I know and see. Mostly because short of a few emergency events, I tickle the end of the comfort zone, but do not cross it. Ride within your abilities on road, get better at the track if possible.....

#46 ·
There is a difference between riding fast and riding dangerously. Some may argue that fast on public roads is dangerous. Motorcycling carries with it a sense of danger and often this is why we ride. However, it can be a fine line often separated by a mans limitations.

#54 ·
Recently I been moving around the TFT cluster on my bench setup. Dont touch the screen with your hands. It is so difficult to clean these screens. I just ordered both the BMW official glass cover screen for $69, and I also ordered the Chinese clone screen for $14. Since I have my 2020 coming in the first allocation release hopefully next week or the next.... I will be putting the BMW glass screen cover on my new bike the very very first thing. I will try this chinese clone protector on my bench screen to see how that works out too. Stay tune for product eval !

Now my new plan is calling the dealer that is getting my 2020 bike and telling them to leave the protective screen cover on there that the bike ships with. I want to remove that protective plastic cover myself and install that glass protective cover at the same time.

Reactions: bennymx
#57 ·
it says GLASS in a couple of places I have read. I got the $69 version, it better be glass.

#62 ·
Do we know whether a cover screen is even necessary or is this simply a product which appeals to the worriers?

For example, I have never placed a screen protector on a mobile phone and have neither scratched the glass nor had any difficulty cleaning the screen.

#64 ·
This screen is super difficult to clean. OCD people are going to freak out on the finger prints this thing can get on it. very oil based sheen.. I have not even had a bug on it yet since it is brand new.

Reactions: bennymx and Elk
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.