BMW S1000RR Forum banner

lithium battery on tender?

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  PaniDropper 
#1 ·
so on my 2019 can i use my battery tender like all the other bikes or is this lithium battery requiring a special type of trickle charge ? jus making sure

#2 ·
Use specific charger tender even though some lithium batteries that have self balancing circuits claim to work fine with regular tenders without a desulfation mode. Two of my WPS batteries died. The regular tenders never completely charged them.

#4 ·
Just to confirm, did you install a lithium battery or are you assuming it came with one?

It's always a good idea to get a lithium specific charger to maintain proper balance across cells. Some batteries claim they have an internal balance. I've heard mix reviews with these. Contact TJ @RIDERsdisccount. He will give you a great deal.

#15 ·
When taking the seat off or plastic, you just need to be careful not to cross-thread the screws. I don't know about the new bikes, but the 2015 screws and bolt assembly felt to me like they were easy to cross-thread (and made from flemsy metal). I learned after the first one that happened to be the one from the seat; partially due to the fact that it is hard to get a screwdriver in there while squeezing the edge of the seat, causing it to go at an angle and resulting in a cross-thread... :\

#14 ·
Lithium batteries are completely different in chemistry. Either you get a charger specifically designed for Lithium or remove the battery from the bike for long term storage. Lithium has a significantly slower discharge rate than standard batteries. I have a lithium Battery from my R1 which I sold in 2014 and the Battery still measures 13v I may need to check periodically but the key is specifically designed lithium charger.

Reactions: Sascha
#16 ·
They make many smart chargers now that will properly charge multiple battery types. The NOCO chargers usually can do both, I personally like CTEK over NOCO but I do not think CTEK has a combination charger for AGM/lead/lithium. I do have both a NOCO and the CTEK and both get used regularly.

I also have a Solar PL3750 I use for automotive/heavy equipment batteries. This charger paid for itself (impressive considering it costs over $400) by bringing batteries which literally had no charge back from the dead and passed load tests without issue. Easily one of the best chargers out there, though I would not hook it up to a lithium.

If you just are looking for a cheap tender the company "Battery Tender" makes one that can handle both types (I have 2 of these kicking around and they work very well) -- they also make good, cheap lithium batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batt...ender+lithium&qid=1557932791&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.