Anyone Know What Software the Dealers Use - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone Know What Software the Dealers Use

Anyone know the name of the software dealers use to install software updates on our bike and what not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloosh View Post
Anyone know the name of the software dealers use to install software updates on our bike and what not?

@BMW_388

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW_388 and Tried&True21 like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by codypendant View Post
@BMW_388

Dont know if that meant send him a message or for him to check the post lol but i pm'ed him anyway!

thanks

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Its called ISTA. Made by Rheingold USA.
Tried&True21 likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
Its called ISTA. Made by Rheingold USA.
thank you kind sir! very much appreciated
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:

To be totally correct with an answer, you would have to expand on what your goals are, and what year models you plan to work on. Following up here on your PM to me.

BMWAG distributes the ISTA format of server to client work stations solutions. ISTA is extremely complicated in it build process in a standalone method of use. It is even more complicated in application of what year model of bike you plan to use it on. One ISTA package does not fit all well.

The ISTA P package was the best application of use on BMW S1000RR up to 2017. ISTA D was for 2006-2017. Then ISTA+ was introduced as the one software method does all. However, there are glitches within the various releases of ISTA+ that make it difficult to know if it is a hardware communication issue, or a software release issue.

Then there is the hardware. There is lots of chinese clone hardware. Looks cheap at first, and its a great first time starter if you are just wanting to test the applications. However, I have burned out 4 ICOM B units, 1 ICOM A, 1 ICOM D cable. This stuff does not like heat, and it does not like over and over use. So, that brings to you BMW official release hardware. Great stuff. EXPENSIVE when you buy it all. There are too many different protocols in the BMW product line and the official hardware can handle it.

Good luck on your adventure into it.. you just gotta start buying stuff and working and studying alot.
keboco and codypendant like this.

2020 K67 ///M Programmed XWORKS ECU by me
2018 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2017 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2015 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2014 K46 RCK2 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
Thanks to MotoMillion.com for the support and selling my programming
PM me for any tech support and feature details on XWORKS ECU's
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 PM
Site Sponsor

It is a PITA. Don't buy the garbage ISTA on the Flash drive. Will never work right and will crash during open sessions with the ECM. Not fun. The bootleg drives from China work but as @BMW_388 stated the hardware then comes in to play. Have to buy a whole lotta stuff. Should also have a high current constant voltage power supply too. Vbat drops no bueno.
BMW_388 and codypendant like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Dont know if that meant send him a message or for him to check the post lol but i pm'ed him anyway!

thanks

If you @ someone’s handle it will tag/notify them they were tagged in a post.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
To be totally correct with an answer, you would have to expand on what your goals are, and what year models you plan to work on. Following up here on your PM to me.

BMWAG distributes the ISTA format of server to client work stations solutions. ISTA is extremely complicated in it build process in a standalone method of use. It is even more complicated in application of what year model of bike you plan to use it on. One ISTA package does not fit all well.

The ISTA P package was the best application of use on BMW S1000RR up to 2017. ISTA D was for 2006-2017. Then ISTA+ was introduced as the one software method does all. However, there are glitches within the various releases of ISTA+ that make it difficult to know if it is a hardware communication issue, or a software release issue.

Then there is the hardware. There is lots of chinese clone hardware. Looks cheap at first, and its a great first time starter if you are just wanting to test the applications. However, I have burned out 4 ICOM B units, 1 ICOM A, 1 ICOM D cable. This stuff does not like heat, and it does not like over and over use. So, that brings to you BMW official release hardware. Great stuff. EXPENSIVE when you buy it all. There are too many different protocols in the BMW product line and the official hardware can handle it.

Good luck on your adventure into it.. you just gotta start buying stuff and working and studying alot.
Hmm..... that does sound like a big PITA and im not trying to get SUPER technical in the sense of me needing that whole sack of potatoes, just want to be able to install software updates when they are available on my bike along with the 8 other guys i know that have s1k's, i have a gs-911 but that doesnt allow you to update the software on the bike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
It is a PITA. Don't buy the garbage ISTA on the Flash drive. Will never work right and will crash during open sessions with the ECM. Not fun. The bootleg drives from China work but as @BMW_388 stated the hardware then comes in to play. Have to buy a whole lotta stuff. Should also have a high current constant voltage power supply too. Vbat drops no bueno.
yeah that all seems way too stressful for me lol just want to be able to update the software on the bike when its needed, dealers out here charge $140 an hour for software updates that take "3 hours" when from what im told its a simple 20 minutes. Im all for businesses making money but dont jack people for some BS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode