Mr12 harmful to tank/injectors? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShockerGT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mr12 harmful to tank/injectors?

Yes, I used mr12 and now I should probably ride my bike off a cliff and get a new one.
No but seriously, I know more people use mr12 than condoms. I'm not worried about mr12 affecting the health of my bike.
However I left a little bit in my tank over the winter in climate controlled storage.
can that be harmful to seals and injectors? Should I have cause for concern? Do I need to ride my bike off a cliff and buy a new one?
Is it a known thing that you can't leave it in your tank for more than a week because it eats seals? Sorry to sound stupid, I'd rather ask a question than overlook something potentially dangerous.

'07 G650 Xchallenge
'12 RR
'15 FZ-09
'13 RR
'99 Ducati 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM

MR12

Yes its highly recommended to remove it from the tank. It can cause potential issues with the pump and injectors if left in for long periods. I would drain my race fuel after what ever race weekend and throw in about 20 oz of pump and run it through the bike for a few minutes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 PM

Garage
run some seafoam through the bike with a gallon of premium...

Extreme Rider

Hoka Hey #108

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
MR12 has been known to gum up injectors, fuel lines and pumps if left inside for a long time.

Here's the biggest thing though, MR12 and U4.4 are heavily oxygenated. Leaving them in the tank will cause the oxygenation to escape the fuel and you will be running very expensive pump gas (MR12 has a R+M/2 rating of 93 octane).

I learned my lesson when I took my race bike to my tuner to get an MR12 map and bought a pail of MR12 from a local retailer. I didn't realize that they had possession of the fuel for a year when I bought (unopened, a 5 gallon pail of MR12 has a shelf life of 8 months) and my tuner was perplexed as to why my bike wasn't making the power he expected. Got my hands on fresh MR12 and the bike made the power he was expecting. Also, expect even shorter shelf life if you leave the fuel in the 5 gallon plastic fuel jugs.

I now buy my MR12 from the trackside VP truck because it has the newest production date. I drain my tank and run pump 93 through it after each weekend. Whatever have left over, I gorilla tape the spout as best as I can and use the rest of the fuel at track days.
the_gooch likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockerGT View Post
MR12 has been known to gum up injectors, fuel lines and pumps if left inside for a long time.
Ok so it's a terrible idea to leave mr12 in the tank for more than a week, but it's not like I absolutely MUST run to my tune shop if i leave it in for a few months. But if I think it's running weird I know the culprit.

'07 G650 Xchallenge
'12 RR
'15 FZ-09
'13 RR
'99 Ducati 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode