Hill Start - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Hill Start

While admitting that when cruise control was offered on the RR in '15 I thought: What? Cruise control on a sportbike? Lunacy! But the reality is...it's a great tool for combating fatigue on long rides.

But...hill control? This one (despite Dylan's endorsement) strikes me as a bit "too much baby-sitting". If you can't get a bike moving on a hill without difficulty, is a literbike perhaps too much for you? Is this just "marketing" from BMW?

What's next? Audible braking-point reminders? Being facetious of course...but...hill starts are kind of a basic skill.

Aren't they? Just posing the question. If you're a hill start control fan, fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post

But...hill control? This one (despite Dylan's endorsement) strikes me as a bit "too much baby-sitting". If you can't get a bike moving on a hill without difficulty, is a literbike perhaps too much for you?

What's next? Audible braking-point reminders? Being facetious of course...but...hill starts are kind of a basic skill.

Aren't they?
Yes. Basic skill. Back in the days of drum brakes, there was dual shoe something or other (four shoe? ) front brake that did not work in reverse. With those bikes, you learned to shift weight, use the rear for your 30-45 degree hill starts. In today's' world, I can't fathom a need. I've been able to hill start every bike I've ever owned. I could even make my '73 water buffalo fly without wings.

Today's millennials don't even know how to turn on a light switch. God help them if they buy a 2020.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 AM

When I purchased my 1600 I too thought hill start was a gimmick. But, I quickly found I was using it for different things...simple things such as holding the bike on a small decline while I adjust an air vent on my helmet, or switching to the next navigation point, etc etc, while stopped at a red light, or pulled off to the side. Ironically tho...I rarely used it for a hill start.

I imagine itíll be the same for the RR...
flyryder and Tried&True21 like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Elk

Hill holding can be handy in bikes and cars, and has been around since the 1930's. The only downside is it can take a bit more throttle to get going.

Like auto-blippers, these tools can make you a better rider than you actually are. (The current generation Corvettes have defeatable rev matching on their maanual transmission cars. it works brilliantly and is a hoot.)
wfo439 likes this.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:22 PM

I have never experienced the hill start, so no comment on its practicality, but I read somewhere in this forum that it’s only a software program as the bike comes with all the necessary hardware, so why not having it if it’s there for free!? Even if it’s just a marketing wow.

After all not everybody who buys the RR is buying it for tracking purposes, so the hill start would make more sense to them (including myself).

And I agree, if someone can’t manage a hill start on a liter bike (honestly it’s easier on these bikes than smaller ones due to their power) then they have no business sitting on a liter bike, for the rest, enjoy the cool option as it’s built to make our life one step easier.

Sometimes I miss the kick starter of my first bike! ... only sometimes.
wfo439, flyryder and Tried&True21 like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:09 PM

Garage
Could be an urban legend, but I know I read somewhere that the current gen of RRís can have the Hill Start feature added in. Can anyone confirm or tell me how wrong I am?

"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" Absolutely

2016 S1000RR - RUBY 40k mi - SEP 2016 ~ PRESENT
2014 CBR500R(R) - SKARLETTE 20k mi - FEB 2015 ~ SEP 2016
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried&True21 View Post
Could be an urban legend, but I know I read somewhere that the current gen of RRís can have the Hill Start feature added in. Can anyone confirm or tell me how wrong I am?
Wrong. Only new ones. When I wear my BMW hat that is. The resident hacker may say otherwise.
wfo439, Tried&True21 and JohnnyGT like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Garage
Patiently awaits @BMW_388ís response

"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" Absolutely

2016 S1000RR - RUBY 40k mi - SEP 2016 ~ PRESENT
2014 CBR500R(R) - SKARLETTE 20k mi - FEB 2015 ~ SEP 2016
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

The Hill Hold/Start is not an FSC that I can just learn the code from and crack in the RR. It is based on using the ABS module unit so like ABS PRO, most of the code goes in the ABS Module for this feature.

If the Hill Hold/Start is an option for the K1600, R1200 product line using an upgrade FSC, then I can figure out to install most likely to the RR.
Tried&True21 likes this.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Garage
Fair call for a sports bike but if there is a 6 axis IMU to take advantage of with a little programming then why not? Doesn't add weight or anything!
Tried&True21 likes this.

2019 M Sport ordered
2017 RR road (RIP)
2010 RR track
@andrew_s1000rr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode