• 4 Post By BMW_388
  • 5 Post By sro
  • 2 Post By skapan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Voiding warranty new bikes

Hello,

Been lurking on this forum for a while, never owned a S1000RR ... yet.

Just sold my KTM 1290 Super Duke R 2018, because i want to go back to sportbikes.

Looking at the new 2019 S1000RR, and actually considering getting the Racing Red with just the Dynamic Package. Alot for the money is my thinking.
And you get DDC, Cruise etc.

Anyways, I wanted to get some feedback from other owners about warrenty voiding. And what i mean by that is putting f.ex a full system on your bike,
or doing other mods that directly voids the warranty.

I see alot of people, if not everyone who owns new bikes, put full systems on them. What are your thoughts on voiding the warranty?

Hypothetical here: Lets say you put a Full Akrapovic on your brand new bike, "but the dealership never knows about". If you have major issues, why not just switch to stock exhaust before
you deliever it to be fixed? They won't know?

Anyways, looking to hear from you guys about this topic. I have always just had slipon on bikes that i had warrenty on, because of this right here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:24 AM
sro

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Already read these threads, and good information.

Just looking for some new inputs and maybe some other people will chime in.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM

It depends on your locale.

If you're in the U.S. aftermarket parts do not void your warranty and neither does flashing your ECU. When you go to do a warranty claim, the manufacturer has a right to deny that claim if they think any modifications you have done caused the failure of the part you are trying to have warranty work done to. The manufacturer is the one who has to prove that your modifications caused the failure (you don't have to prove it to them they did not interfere, the law requires them to prove it to you). Obviously, some parts that fail are more closely related to others and they may question what you have done, but in the United States, they must prove those caused the failure for them to be able to deny the claim.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...your-warranty/

"The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says the manufacturer cannot force you to use their parts but they also do not have to pay for warranty repairs caused by someone else’s part. Or, if your part caused something else to fail. Like if you put a monster turbo on your car which did not come with a turbocharger in the first place. The Federal Trade Commission addresses these things as well:

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."
Tried&True21 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Nothing new to report here. Your relationship with the dealer is probably the most important factor.
Tried&True21 and codypendant like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:21 PM

New bike has IoT related sensors for when removing the O2 sensors. Some new Euro5 nonsense. Bike will ping BMW servers next time it is in WiFi range and send a report that the O2 sensors, Secondary Air System and/or other emission compliant devices have been tampered with.

Instant void of warranty.
skapan, sro, wfo439 and 2 others like this.

SoFloSBK.com AKRAPOVIC|BREMBO|ATTACK PERFORMANCE|ALPHA RACING|CHICKEN HAWK|ARMOUR BODIES|CORE MOTO|GB RACING|K-TECH SUSPENSION|OHLINS|WOODCRAFT|IMA SPECIAL PARTS|i2M CHROME|VESRAH|SBS|ZETA RACING|
GO FAST PARTS FOR YOUR SBK!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
New bike has IoT related sensors for when removing the O2 sensors. Some new Euro5 nonsense. Bike will ping BMW servers next time it is in WiFi range and send a report that the O2 sensors, Secondary Air System and/or other emission compliant devices have been tampered with.

That's the type of new info we're looking for.
Tried&True21 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post

I really think @the_gooch is reading into April's Fool day too much... however

I have read about EVO and IoT coming and it is here within GM, Audi, and I am sure BMW has some in the cars.

The new 2019/20 K67 cannot have IoT unless you get it with intelligent call services. Even then I have not read any where that the IoT services are going to be part of BMW new parameters of catching people that insist on modifying the bike while it is still within warranty.

Intelligent Call Services would have the communications hardware needed for WiFi to XYZ server while in the area of someone listening for this information. The K67 however with only base configuration of ECU, GM, RDC, KOMBI, ESA, and ABS will not have the communications ability to tattle tail on any hardware changes to the bike.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland

Last edited by BMW_388; 04-01-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:52 PM
sro

That awkward moment when @the_gooch 's sarcasm is so advance people actually think he is stupid.
Elk, k9crew, andyf and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:15 AM

So you're saying if I get the red one they can't tell that I've removed the exhaust and flashed the ECU, but if I get the M version they will know immediately? Then my plan would be to get the red one and paint it red white and blue, so it looks just like the M. Thanks for the new info! I'd hate to have to stay away from all the coffee shops that have WiFi, where would I ride?
1000rrLee and Tried&True21 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode