2013 fuel range issue - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By skapan
  • 1 Post By wfo439

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2013 fuel range issue

I recently bought a 2013 S1000RR, 2012 build (0524). Unfortunately I seem to have an issue with possible high fuel consumption and weird range calculations.

At the time of writing, my fuel light just came on after riding about 125km/77 miles. I've ridden an additional 25km/15.5miles (to about approx. 94 miles) when the range indicated about 10 miles left. When refueling, the manual tells me I have a ~17.5liter/4.6 gallon tank. When fueling up, only 3 gallons went in before the pump telling me the bike was full.

So in summary:

- Fuel indicator/range came on after 125km/77miles
- Driven an additional 25km/15.5miles until refueling
- Filled her up with 11liters/3 gallons at the most

This would indicate an overhead of about 6liters/1.6gallons lost 'in calculation'. Does this mean there is an error in the ECU, a faulty or shifted detector somewhere in the tank? I'm about 100kg so the mpg is not my concern, the weird ass early indication of empty tank is... weird, no? If my calculations are correct, with my weight and naturally born heavy wrists... ...I should be able to do 13.7kml/32mpg, which at the max should total up to about 240km/150 miles.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 AM

All the fuel tanks from 09-19 ( K46 ) are as you indicated rated at

~17.5liter/4.6 gallon tank usable fuel

~4L / 1.1 gallon is considered a reserve fuel as part of that number. That reserve is calculated within the ECU and Cluster providing the RANGE when it comes on for out of fuel.

The fuel level sensor inside the tank sets up all this information to the ECU.

I am guessing you might not know the history of the bike. If the fuel pump or fuel level sensor was changed, there is can be mounting issues, there is can be people that get frustrated with the installation process and start bending things to make them fit. It is all calibrated to be inside the tank 100% correct so the math is correct in calculations.

Also, there is some updates for the code that does change the Range to fuel out, so your ECU / Cluster might not have been updated in a long while and have old code in them.

So you have 4.6 gallon. You can remove the tank and empty it, then have 5 gallons there with you and put the fuel in to full and better understand if you want. While you have the tank off remove the fuel pump and check the mounting of the fuel level sensor.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland
Old 03-28-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
I am guessing you might not know the history of the bike. If the fuel pump or fuel level sensor was changed, there is can be mounting issues, there is can be people that get frustrated with the installation process and start bending things to make them fit. It is all calibrated to be inside the tank 100% correct so the math is correct in calculations.

Also, there is some updates for the code that does change the Range to fuel out, so your ECU / Cluster might not have been updated in a long while and have old code in them.
An update is certainly a good idea to do anyway, but I reckon you're right in assuming there is a bent rod somewhere in the tank that should accurately measure the fuel level. I can always drive the bike on the idea that I have about 200kms of fuel, at least, but I really want that fuel sensor fixed. That sounds like it's a lot of manual labor and I'm not all that familiar with the inner workings of these kinds of topics. So probably something for the dealer to figure out.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Range is very much dependent on how the bike is used, but yours does sound a bit odd. I would go to the dealer and get any updates that are pending, then see how it behaves. Taking off the tank and getting inside of it is not a big deal, we can talk you through it. Besides, we are far enough away that if there IS a fireball it won't matter.
cyclesailor955 likes this.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
Range is very much dependent on how the bike is used, but yours does sound a bit odd. I would go to the dealer and get any updates that are pending, then see how it behaves. Taking off the tank and getting inside of it is not a big deal, we can talk you through it. Besides, we are far enough away that if there IS a fireball it won't matter.
Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence! *KABOOM*

I'll speak to my dealer about it. If it indeed is a strange situation, I'd have to consult BMW for additional advice. Any updates pending should also be applied by BMW. I bought mine at a KTM and occasions dealer (normal in the Netherlands). I reckon they'll tell me something along the lines of "that's your opinion". We'll see, I'll keep this thread updated as the situation progresses.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 PM

Personally I think you are wasting time and money chasing this gremlin. My 2015 was equally horrid at computing gas mileage and range. The gas light would sometimes come on at 85 miles, (Break in) and I ran it down to 2 miles. 1.5 gallons left at fill up. The bike seemed to like running 5500-6000 cruising on the freeay in 4th or 5th. That usually got me to 110-120 miles before the gas light came on if it was all freeway. Pay attention to how you are riding and you will be able to gauge how much gas you have left better than the bike. Easier and cheaper than spending money on something that probably can't be fixed. My 2014 HP4 can get at least 3 laps after 0 miles showing at T-Hill. (10.5 miles) And that's when it's getting 2 stroke gas mileage.
ReSpawN likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in