Cleaning Off Factory Chain Lube - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning Off Factory Chain Lube

Immediately upon posting here it was recommended that I clean off the factory chain GOO. I knew it was a good idea but did some riding first because I couldn't wait. A mistake. Do yourself a favor and do this right away. Its unbelievably sticky and slings all over including on to the CAT. Once on the cat it burns and is even tougher to remove.

What to use?

The stuff is wax base. This summer I built a squat rack and used a wax based lube to drill a bunch of large holes. I discovered degreasers for petroleum didn't work to remove it. Did some research and found Xylene. It is nasty stuff but readily available. I tried chain cleaner/degreaser first but had no luck. Xylene melted that stuff straight away. But wear gloves and ventilate. Its a real headache maker. Just use a bunch of cloth rags.

Followed up with dupont chain lube. Looks much better too.
Alex87 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Elk

The stuff is ghastly. Thanks for posting a a solvent which works.
Tried&True21 likes this.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter 1098S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:22 AM

My only question would be is the Xylene harmful to the O (or X) rings in the chain? I know it will dissolve most anything. Drop a piece of Styrofoam in it and watch it disappear. I heated up my chain with a heat gun just enough to soften the wax and then used kerosene on a rag to get it off which is definitely more time consuming.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog2086 View Post
My only question would be is the Xylene harmful to the O (or X) rings in the chain? I know it will dissolve most anything. Drop a piece of Styrofoam in it and watch it disappear. I heated up my chain with a heat gun just enough to soften the wax and then used kerosene on a rag to get it off which is definitely more time consuming.
I simple google search will yield your answer from Wiki.. What you want is 'limited' exposure to rubber and plastics. So the smart application of use would be to quickly use a rag and solvent ( as we called it in the old days ) to remove the wax from the chain. ALWAYS WEAR rubber protective gloves and work in well ventilated area. After removal of the wax, wash the drive line and areas you might have got this chemical on. Proper washing will reduce and further effects of usage on the chain that way. Dont just leave the chemical on the chain and go ride.

Solvent applications and industrial purposes
Xylene is used as a solvent. In this application, with a mixture of isomers, it is often referred to as xylenes or xylol. Solvent xylene often contains a small percentage of ethylbenzene. Like the individual isomers, the mixture is colorless, sweet-smelling, and highly flammable. Areas of application include the printing, rubber, and leather industries. It is a common component of ink, rubber, and adhesives.[13] In thinning paints and varnishes, it can be substituted for toluene where slower drying is desired, and thus is used by conservators of art objects in solubility testing.[14] Similarly it is a cleaning agent, e.g., for steel, silicon wafers, and integrated circuits. In dentistry, xylene can be used to dissolve gutta percha, a material used for endodontics (root canal treatments). In the petroleum industry, xylene is also a frequent component of paraffin solvents, used when the tubing becomes clogged with paraffin wax. For similar reasons, it is often the active ingredient in commercial products for ear wax (cerumen) removal.(1)

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM

I cleaned mine right away but dealer test rode bike before I took it.
I just used WD40 to clean the chain, wheel and brake cleaner to clean it off the cat.
I then used the Dupont chain lube on the chain.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 PM
SRR

Kerosene on a rag then wipe it off! You can get a gallon jug for under $10 and it Cleans great, you can use it on the wheel and cat plus I've used it on the under tail painted service. It's O ring friendly from what my bmw tech says and lots of shops use it. To lube it up I use Motul racing lube, it's really sticky, messy and gooey but haven't found anything else yet. Try to avoid WD40 since it might be to harsh on the chain orings from what I've heard and never use Brake cleaner that's like industrial strength cleaner that will destroy your o-rings over time.
Tried&True21 likes this.

Last edited by SRR; 03-21-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 PM

WD40 does not harm o rings. Brake cleaner is fine to clean cat.

Last edited by Ravenbravo; 03-21-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode