"OFFICIAL 2020 BMW S1000RR" release info and facts - Page 64 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 713Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #631 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenLine View Post
The veering test is pretty simple, get on a straight line or freeway, lock the cruise control on 70-75mph, seat straight and safely take your hands off the handle bar and start counting from 1001 to 1010, if you end up in the guardrail or the shoulder your bike is veering!

I highly doubt that BMW would spend extra time and money to address something idiosyncratic, my guess is it’s more than that, but who am I to know.
Anyways regardless of the outcome I am already satisfied and happy to know they were not ignorant and tried to address an issue that concerned many riders.
There was one video presented already that Josef addressed the veering issue of the K46. He tried to explain that the K46 engine was placed slightly off center to the right side of the frame for weight distribution. Now with the engine offset, and the stock headers and muffler on there, it just added too much right side weight.

Josef went on to explain this was taken into consideration with the design of the K67 and the engine is more center line based with better weight distribution.

For those that have added full exhaust to the K46, and other weight balance taken into consideration, you can get a K46 to track 100% straight for miles upon miles. Both my 15 and 18 now are balanced enough that I can set the cruise on open road and sit up with my arms resting on the tank or crossed, and go for miles. Change of lanes can be made with the simple weight shift on the seat and pegs.

So if the K67 comes out of the factory totally balanced this will be a nice feature upgrade. However, if you put a lighter full exhaust on there, and lighter muffler, it might now create the veer to the left, instead of the right.

Just to illustrate the engine in the K46 in the 'offset' to the right Josef was referring too. I just happened to have a K46 engine and frame sitting in the shop right after I saw that video. I took this picture and I draw some lines ( very crude lines at that ) showing how much valve cover is to the right side compared to the left. Its just the way they wrapped the frame around the engine that makes the offset so pronounced.

Very interesting, I have to look at the video again but I thought the reason Joseph explained for moving the engine was to slightly bring the chain and sprocket closer to the centerline if the bike, as that was the main source of the veering. But again I’ll need to watch the video again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Elk

Quote:
The veering test is pretty simple, get on a straight line or freeway, lock the cruise control on 70-75mph, seat straight and safely take your hands off the handle bar and start counting from 1001 to 1010, if you end up in the guardrail or the shoulder your bike is veering!
Yes, we all know what veering is and how to look for it.

My point is whether it is a physical cause or not, relatively few experienced veering. Of the many members here, only a small, vocal percentage reported a problem. This is not to say they did not experience it, but rather establishes it is far less than universal. And a number reported they felt veering on some RRs, but not others.

This is what makes BMW's "fix" so intriguing. BMW certainly found a physical reason to make a change. They did not rely on anecdotal complaints.

In any event, I expect a number who experienced veering on the older bikes will still experience veering on the new bike - especially if they have not been told the bike is different.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999

Last edited by Elk; 03-28-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #633 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Dylan, are the calipers still 100mm spacing?

SoFloSBK.com AKRAPOVIC|BREMBO|ATTACK PERFORMANCE|ALPHA RACING|CHICKEN HAWK|ARMOUR BODIES|CORE MOTO|GB RACING|K-TECH SUSPENSION|OHLINS|WOODCRAFT|IMA SPECIAL PARTS|i2M CHROME|VESRAH|SBS|ZETA RACING|
GO FAST PARTS FOR YOUR SBK!

post #634 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:54 PM

Garage
Nice insights Dylan. Can't believe how far the electronics have come in a matter of years. That braking evaluation and response is awesome.

2020 M Sport ordered
2017 RR road (RIP)
2010 RR track
@andrew_s1000rr

Last edited by McRR; 03-28-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #635 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

@Elk

OK, I am sure many of you remember the thread about 'veering' . I will tell you my 15 did so bad, it was pitiful. You take your hands off the grips and it shot right immediately up to about 5000 miles with cruise control on so there was no engine decel effecting the bikes balance. We all discussed... clutch cable positions, muffler weight, rear wheel alignment, front wheel in forks alignment.. the list goes on. BMW did not want to acknowledge to most people that there was even a veering issue. There was in fact a PuMA report entered into the system November 17 2015 on veering. What to look for, and what to tell the customer. Here it is, and as you can see, it is mostly off center of gravity based on design.

Now, BMW indicates to blame it on exhaust components change, but in fact, if you put a lighter full exhaust, most felt it was better and lessened the veering.

On a positive note. Lets hope the new 2019/20 ( K67 ) comes out balanced and straight as a arrow...

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland

Last edited by BMW_388; 03-28-2019 at 06:10 PM.
post #636 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:17 PM
Elk

Yes, we all remember this. As I indicated, veering is real for those who experience it.

But what remains intriguing it is far from a universal experience. This suggests there are good number of additional variables at play.

Also interesting is how the majority noticed veering only with cruise control on and hands off of the grips. See, e.g., DarenLine's test for veering stated above.

I, too, hope the new bike solves this for those who experienced veering on the older bikes.

I also hope the rest do not find the new bike veers to the left.

'15 S1000RR
'05 Ducati 999

Last edited by Elk; 03-28-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #637 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Yes, we all remember this. As I indicated, veering is real for those who experience it.

But what remains intriguing it is far from a universal experience. This suggests there are good number of additional variables at play.

Also interesting is how the majority noticed veering only with cruise control on and hands off of the grips. See, e.g., DarenLine's test for veering stated above.

I, too, hope the new bike solves this for those who experienced veering on the older bikes.

I also hope the rest do not find the new bike veers to the left. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Ok, I’ll bite the bullet and ask the million dollar question, Dylan based on your experience with the bike, so far have you felt any veering? ( 👀. 👀 twice if the answer is yes!)
post #638 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:42 PM
Elk

Dylan may, or may not, have experienced veering. Why does this matter?

No one disputes some experience veering, others do not.

'15 S1000RR
'05 Ducati 999
post #639 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Ok, Iíll bite the bullet and ask the million dollar question, Dylan based on your experience with the bike, so far have you felt any veering? ( 👀. 👀 twice if the answer is yes!)
We have never noticed it but that's because on the track you're not spending too much time going dead straight with an even throttle, where this would be noticeable. Circuit of the Americas has a long back straight but it bends. Virginia has a long front straight but it arcs. Even The Ridge, with its long front straight has the rider veering from left to right from the last corner to the first one.

Also riding in LA traffic on the freeways, there is a fair amount of changes in lane placement as you work through traffic. I always try to move slightly faster than the flow of traffic in order to get picked up easier in motorists' peripheral vision. So there's a fair amount of weaving.
post #640 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Code View Post
Quote:
Ok, I’ll bite the bullet and ask the million dollar question, Dylan based on your experience with the bike, so far have you felt any veering? ( 👀. 👀 twice if the answer is yes!)
We have never noticed it but that's because on the track you're not spending too much time going dead straight with an even throttle, where this would be noticeable. Circuit of the Americas has a long back straight but it bends. Virginia has a long front straight but it arcs. Even The Ridge, with its long front straight has the rider veering from left to right from the last corner to the first one.

Also riding in LA traffic on the freeways, there is a fair amount of changes in lane placement as you work through traffic. I always try to move slightly faster than the flow of traffic in order to get picked up easier in motorists' peripheral vision. So there's a fair amount of weaving.
Thank you, appreciate your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode