"OFFICIAL 2020 BMW S1000RR" release info and facts - Page 63 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 713Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #621 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Code View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenLine View Post
Correct me if wrong, if someone has the habit of grabbing both levers (clutch and front brake) together, the unwanted throttle roll would not cause any problem in panic braking right?
Yes that's correct. Though it can trigger other panic from someone hearing the motor go wwwaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHH! while they are trying to avoid a collision, with the brake in, clutch in, and throttle on. In some instances the rider may be quicker to the front brake than the clutch. Remember we are talking panic braking.
Thank you, that’s absolutely correct, panic braking is a different animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
The veering test is pretty simple, get on a straight line or freeway, lock the cruise control on 70-75mph, seat straight and safely take your hands off the handle bar and start counting from 1001 to 1010, if you end up in the guardrail or the shoulder your bike is veering!

I highly doubt that BMW would spend extra time and money to address something idiosyncratic, my guess is itís more than that, but who am I to know.
Anyways regardless of the outcome I am already satisfied and happy to know they were not ignorant and tried to address an issue that concerned many riders.
Other factors to veering: crowned roads (for water runoff) and also uneven tire profile FROM riding on crowned roads.
post #623 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
Quote:
Correct me if wrong, if someone has the habit of grabbing both levers (clutch and front brake) together, the unwanted throttle roll would not cause any problem in panic braking right?

Why would you grab your clutch lever in panic braking? You lose engine braking the bike becomes less stable.
I could be wrong, but i always thought in a panic braking situation (where you need the most braking power) the engine braking may not be your best solution due to the weight shift.

post #624 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:17 PM

Seems like we can't even get a straight response from Mr. Code. Perhaps he could consider a career in politics...
post #625 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The veering test is pretty simple, get on a straight line or freeway, lock the cruise control on 70-75mph, seat straight and safely take your hands off the handle bar and start counting from 1001 to 1010, if you end up in the guardrail or the shoulder your bike is veering!

I highly doubt that BMW would spend extra time and money to address something idiosyncratic, my guess is it’s more than that, but who am I to know.
Anyways regardless of the outcome I am already satisfied and happy to know they were not ignorant and tried to address an issue that concerned many riders.
There was one video presented already that Josef addressed the veering issue of the K46. He tried to explain that the K46 engine was placed slightly off center to the right side of the frame for weight distribution. Now with the engine offset, and the stock headers and muffler on there, it just added too much right side weight.

Josef went on to explain this was taken into consideration with the design of the K67 and the engine is more center line based with better weight distribution.

For those that have added full exhaust to the K46, and other weight balance taken into consideration, you can get a K46 to track 100% straight for miles upon miles. Both my 15 and 18 now are balanced enough that I can set the cruise on open road and sit up with my arms resting on the tank or crossed, and go for miles. Change of lanes can be made with the simple weight shift on the seat and pegs.

So if the K67 comes out of the factory totally balanced this will be a nice feature upgrade. However, if you put a lighter full exhaust on there, and lighter muffler, it might now create the veer to the left, instead of the right.

Just to illustrate the engine in the K46 in the 'offset' to the right Josef was referring too. I just happened to have a K46 engine and frame sitting in the shop right after I saw that video. I took this picture and I draw some lines ( very crude lines at that ) showing how much valve cover is to the right side compared to the left. Its just the way they wrapped the frame around the engine that makes the offset so pronounced.

Elk, Xtremsiege2, wfo439 and 2 others like this.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland

Last edited by BMW_388; 03-28-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #626 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySinner View Post
Seems like we can't even get a straight response from Mr. Code. Perhaps he could consider a career in politics...
Straight response to what question?
post #627 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Okay, but how does it compare to the previous generation? Is it cooler or about the same?
Oh I see the question now. Sorry don't have an apples to apples comparison but if I had to guess I'd say cooler.
post #628 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:50 PM

Thanks Dylan. The other poster is a being a little douchey to you. Thanks for the info.
post #629 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Lots of very interesting details Dylan ! Thank you for sharing and I agree - these are more important than the shape of a license plate bracket

2015 BMW S1000RR
2007 Ducati S2R 1000
post #630 of 1017 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Usually the heat is very pleasing byproduct of these bikes during the winter, and not easily measured in cold season by the rider, I’d suggest you wait for summer time and ask your question again, meantime if the heat in traffic is the concern (Specially if accompanied by shorts and flip flops as preferred riding gear or the fashion of the day) then I suggest anything but a 200+ hp super sport bike.

Anyhow if your previous bike was a Panigale you will find the RR cooler than that Frappuccino. 😁
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode