Timing Cover Leak - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Timing Cover Leak

Letís say someone low sides without any frame or case sliders on your bike and the bike slides a good enough distance to grind down your timing cover quite a bit. So much so, it may have even grinded through the cover and ate into the engine itself a little bit. Or even just a little nick.
They then replace the cover, apply some gasket maker, and torque new bolts into place, and then even wait a day or two for a good seal before starting the engine and riding again.
But it starts leaking, very slowly. Never enough to be concerned about the engineís health, but enough that you occasionally have to clean up the mess on the bike itself, never the floor (no puddles, no drips). Is the engine now no good? Is there a solution to stop the leak?

"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" Absolutely

2016 S1000RR - RUBY 40k mi - SEP 2016 ~ PRESENT
2014 CBR500R(R) - SKARLETTE 20k mi - FEB 2015 ~ SEP 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:14 AM

Sorry to here the bike went down. I hope the rider wasn't badly injured and back to health?

I wouldn't say the engine isn't any good at this stage. I'm expecting the oil is leaking around one of the timing case bolts? The impact may have cracked one of the threaded parts of the engine case and is leaking out that way.

Did you inspect all the threaded aread and engine case for any potential micro fractures? Did the bolts torque up OK?

I'd re-inspect the timing case area for cracks etc. Maybe apply silastic/forma-gasket into the threads as well this time and try again.

Just need to identify the location of the cause of the oil leak and work from there.

2018 BMW S1000RR - Black Storm Metalic

Just remember...

It doesn't matter if it's torqued to spec or cross threaded. Tight is tight!!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:27 AM

Yeah you might have a crack some where. Don't put silicone in the threads or on the bolts either. Just the sealing surface.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Torque to Yield Bolts

Did you replace the Torque to Yield aluminum bolts that BMW uses on the engines ?
You can try to re-torque the aluminum bolts but,when they were installed and torqued the bolts stretched.The bolts will continue to stretch and will not hold the torque.

Replacement is necessary. Assuming you do not have any hairline cracks in the engine casting.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Timing Cover Leak

Yes, all of the bolts were replaced with brand new OEM bolts and silicone only applied to the surface of the engine itself. Can a little nick in the engineís face really cause bad seals? Torn between trying to seal it again or letting the dealer take a shot at it. But I donít know if theyíll be able to fix this assuming the engineĎs surface area took a hit too.
The pic included is after recently installing case covers.

"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" Absolutely

Last edited by Tried&True21; 02-05-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Are the two surfaces you're trying to seal completely flat? It's hard to tell from the pictures if there's imperfections in the surfaces. If the mated surfaces aren't correctly machined flat you're going to have some issues...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniDropper View Post
Are the two surfaces you're trying to seal completely flat? It's hard to tell from the pictures if there's imperfections in the surfaces. If the mated surfaces aren't correctly machined flat you're going to have some issues...

They ought to be since the original timing cover was not grounded all the way through. And yes the Timing Cover itself was also replaced with a new one.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried&True21 View Post
They ought to be since the original timing cover was not grounded all the way through. And yes the Timing Cover itself was also replaced with a new one.
I was assuming so but in the picture it looks like there were some nicks in the surface contact areas around some of the bolt holes. Most likely the angle of the picture though.

What do you have to lose by trying to seal it again yourself? I'd assume it would save you a bit of $. I also don't think it'd take you very long. Waiting for the seal is the longest part. Check for nicks in the surfacing with your fingernail if you do try it again yourself (wouldn't be the first time I had found an imperfection in a new / OEM part either).
Tried&True21 likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:47 PM

Is it optical or is one of the shafts in that photo bent? The sealant on lower left does not looked compressed?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
Is it optical or is one of the shafts in that photo bent? The sealant on lower left does not looked compressed?

Are you talking about the two metal rods laying to the right of the cover? Yes, one of them is bent, but that was also replaced. As for the sealant in the lower left, it was being cleaned off for a new application of sealant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode