Cracked dashboard/instrument cluster glass - anyone else? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Starpower
  • 1 Post By tallassridah
  • 1 Post By dasher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cracked dashboard/instrument cluster glass - anyone else?

Last weekend I went out for a ride and immediately noticed two small cracks on the glass of my dashboard (see pictures). The weird thing is that they seem to be INSIDE the panel, as I cannot feel the cracks by touching them or even sliding a fingernail across them on the outside. So I have ordered BMW part 62118551434, which is a $224 "repair kit" for the instrument cluster cover, and I have to see if I want to install this myself (should be easy) or take it to the dealership.

Funny (not haha funny...) to see that once my warranty expired for my 2015 bike in March, I have had cam chain failure (which I was able to lobby BMW to cover, as it happened weeks after the warranty expired - phew!), this cracked dashboard, and I also noticed this weekend that my steering damper has stopped damping. I wonder what else is going to break...

Sad thing about modern vehicles, no just beemers, is that they all seem to be designed to spontaneously combust after 3-4 years, right after the factory warranty runs out.

Bummer. Forum members - has anyone else had their dashboard crack from the inside? Any idea on the causes? My bike is in Puerto Rico, so we can rule out sudden changes in ambient temperature. No falls or drops. Scratching my head. Thanks.

2015 BMW S1000RR
2013 BMW R1200GS (RIP - totaled)
2012 BMW F800GS (sold)
2011 BMW S1000RR (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup (never should have sold her)
Before BMW: 1976-1982 Yamahas 80cc/175cc/250cc/400cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 12:11 PM

Very odd for sure. It likely was an external hit that flexed the glass and fractured from the back. It is an quick and easy fix. Motomillion sells a screen protector kit that is real nice and I put one on mine. I opened mine to put a piece of tape over the photocell to keep my backlight on. You only need to pull off the one clip holding it to the mount and it comes right off.

Bummer on BMWs price for a piece of glass!!
dasher likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower View Post
Very odd for sure. It likely was an external hit that flexed the glass and fractured from the back. It is an quick and easy fix. Motomillion sells a screen protector kit that is real nice and I put one on mine. I opened mine to put a piece of tape over the photocell to keep my backlight on. You only need to pull off the one clip holding it to the mount and it comes right off.

Bummer on BMWs price for a piece of glass!!
Thanks for the tip. The piece of glass actually comes with the whole top plastic enclosure, but still $200++ for it is expensive. Although it feels cheap compared to the fact that a whole instrument cluster sells for $1400...!

2015 BMW S1000RR
2012 BMW F800GS (sold)
2011 BMW S1000RR (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (sold)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Just buy the eBay instrument cluster cover for $50 or so way less than the dealer
dasher likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:24 AM

Garage
My bike has the same issue. No root cause that I could find. I'm just living with it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher View Post
Last weekend I went out for a ride and immediately noticed two small cracks on the glass of my dashboard (see pictures). The weird thing is that they seem to be INSIDE the panel, as I cannot feel the cracks by touching them or even sliding a fingernail across them on the outside. So I have ordered BMW part 62118551434, which is a $224 "repair kit" for the instrument cluster cover, and I have to see if I want to install this myself (should be easy) or take it to the dealership.

Funny (not haha funny...) to see that once my warranty expired for my 2015 bike in March, I have had cam chain failure (which I was able to lobby BMW to cover, as it happened weeks after the warranty expired - phew!), this cracked dashboard, and I also noticed this weekend that my steering damper has stopped damping. I wonder what else is going to break...

Sad thing about modern vehicles, no just beemers, is that they all seem to be designed to spontaneously combust after 3-4 years, right after the factory warranty runs out.

Bummer. Forum members - has anyone else had their dashboard crack from the inside? Any idea on the causes? My bike is in Puerto Rico, so we can rule out sudden changes in ambient temperature. No falls or drops. Scratching my head. Thanks.

Wow. I donít even know what to say about that. All I can think is maybe by some helluva chance, a wheelie caused the cracks? Whatever caused it seems more like a stress issue vs impact. I donít see how any screen protector could prevent stress cracks; but Iím not well versed in that aspect.

Funny you mentioned your steering damper stopped working though! I ended up sliding my bike down the road because of it with 43k mi on the clock. Bike lives on though. Looks like it never happened. Upgraded to ÷hlins and Iíll be sure to send it in periodically for maintenance.

"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" Absolutely

2016 S1000RR - RUBY 40k mi - SEP 2016 ~ PRESENT
2014 CBR500R(R) - SKARLETTE 20k mi - FEB 2015 ~ SEP 2016
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update to cracked cluster ĒglassĒ cover.

Upon further inspection and comparing the bike to new ones on the dealer showroom floor, my cluster was a lot looser on the right. So we also changed the rubber bushing and now it fights more tightly. The theory is that it was rocking too much and maybe that caused the cover to stress too much and crack... anyway, we shall see.
Tried&True21 likes this.

2015 BMW S1000RR
2012 BMW F800GS (sold)
2011 BMW S1000RR (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode