Clip on risers? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By skapan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Clip on risers?

Hi all,

I currently have Helibars on my 2017 S1000RR, and while they improved the comfort to a great degree, I wonder if I can go even higher with another set.

Does anyone have experience with clip on risers which they can recommend? STG and Revzilla show several brands / models as compatible, but their reps could not confirm that I would not run into clearance issues with the fairing and windscreen.

Opinions and general advice are appreciated, but first hand experience is what I am truly after.

Thank you all.

-Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 PM

No personal experience, but have a look at Apex or Evol with less offset. Don't know if they offer risers high enough for you, but I think I'd be more concerned that the wiring and brake/clutch cables/lines are long enough. I know the superbike bars from Wunderlich had some of those included with the bars. It sounds like you really want an R.
wfo439 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
No personal experience, but have a look at Apex or Evol with less offset. Don't know if they offer risers high enough for you, but I think I'd be more concerned that the wiring and brake/clutch cables/lines are long enough. I know the superbike bars from Wunderlich had some of those included with the bars. It sounds like you really want an R.
Thanks @skapan.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Apex has adjustable risers that has a height adjustment range of up to 4". Its about $270. I plan on running these in the spring for my R
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:34 AM

Garage
There are the Gilles Variobars too, had them on my Aprilia RSVR. Great quality and adjustability but apart form longer cables, you might need to do bodywork trimming too, depending on how high risers you fit.
Generally, if you want a high riser (above 2-3cm), maybe it's better to look at the ABM or LSL handlebar conversion kits as the handlebar itself rises above front fairing.
Something like this
https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...ghter-kit.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM

I have had Apex clip-ons on a few bikes and what I like about them is I can adjust the height, position relative to the forks, and the angle of the bars. I have not had a problem with any of them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 AM

Garage
I agree but if someone needs higher rise than 2-3cm, then there are, almost always, issues with full lock clearance and it's best to go to handlebar conversion kits instead that put the handlebars above fairing edges.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Gilles Bars

Hi, I fitted Gilles Bars which raised the bars 80mm All the parts are beautifully made. Easily fitted. They provide spacers to raise the top edge of the fairing. It enabled me to ride 500 miles + a day for 10 days, comfortably.

The only thing I then bought was the Skidmarx TT screen and the combination gives good shelter to beyond legal speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3922.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	196826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	196828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	196830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	196832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	196834  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiemcc View Post
Hi, I fitted Gilles Bars ...
Beautiful! Thank you @Jamiemcc!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:51 AM
A B

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgatev View Post
Hi all,

I currently have Helibars on my 2017 S1000RR, and while they improved the comfort to a great degree, I wonder if I can go even higher with another set.

Does anyone have experience with clip on risers which they can recommend? STG and Revzilla show several brands / models as compatible, but their reps could not confirm that I would not run into clearance issues with the fairing and windscreen.

Opinions and general advice are appreciated, but first hand experience is what I am truly after.

Thank you all.

-Stan
hey Stan if you want to sell off your helibars let me know

1990 Carrera 4 | 2016 S1000RR | 2010 S1000RR (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode