Fault Code: 20000 Throttle-valve servomotor - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:20 PM

I'm thinking out loud. If the problem is the motor that drives the throttle blades, or it's connection to the throttle blades then taking that apart may give you an indication of the problem. Been a while since I looked at one of these, I think there's also a sensor on the left (clutch) side of the shaft. And I'm pretty sure this is only available as a complete unit from BMW, but there are lots of them on eBay. Keep thinking, keep trying. Nothing to lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid the only option left was... Taking apart the throttle body is a daunting task. Anyone have any experience?

Edit: there are 2 sensors on the left side.

Last edited by R Michael Seattz; 07-24-2018 at 01:14 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:23 PM

The upper forward sensor is connected to the throttle cable input by a shaft that runs through the casting, it only connects these two items no other connection internally. The lower rearward sensor is connected to the throttle butterfly shaft to tell the ECU the shaft position. I would not recommend taking apart your only throttle body. Lots of parts inside, motor, circuit board, gears, levers, sealed set screws for shaft limits. The butterfly shaft is two pieces. Seems to be a number of people with the code and no real definitive cure yet.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

3wheeler, great description of the throttle body.

I cleared codes, the GS911 said "some codes couldn't be cleared" Take a guess which ones... all four. I tried resetting adaptations again. No luck. I am at a complete loss here.

Edit: I am very confident I did this by manually rotating the butterfly valves/throttle body blades by pushing on them when I wanted to inspect the valves for buildup.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM

throttle body parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle body parts 001.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	195922  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Well, that looks fun. Any advice? Tips/tricks to taking it apart and (hopefully) putting it back together? Or am I better off just buying a new (used? eBay?) throttle body?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
You're right, it's a 2011. I misread the date of manufacture. So now we have 7 years of history, and cable throttle that runs the mechanism for the ECU. If any of that has been altered or damaged, the least he would need is a throttle adaptation. For sure the bike won't run if you swap any of these parts, learned that the hard way.

I've seen this before. Varnish and gunk from gasoline builds up around the throttle shaft. It can be cleaned if the throttle body is removed from the bike. So that's my second guess. Need more info.
Was your swapping of parts the throttle bodies? If so, did the bike not run at all or just run poorly? Just wondering what OP might expect if he buys another throttle body. Thinking he would need 10-11 years not 13-14, possible difference?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:29 PM

Even another throttle body from the same year needs to be set up with the BMW software, MAYBE a throttle adaptation with GS911 would do it, but I've never tried that. Also, I've never tried to move the throttle shaft by hand, that really could be what caused this issue although it doesn't sound like the bike was right before that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode