BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Need help with screeching brakes after new pad install

4K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Fast Intentions 
#1 ·
Hi guys. i have been having some problems with my rear brakes since i changed the pads to the EBC sinistered. they have been screeching like nails to a chalkboard. my bike is loud as hell and i have music on and i still hear it and want to throw myself off the bike thats how annoying it is. i have a feeling its something really basic of an issue but cant narrow it down to what it could be. Has anyone ever had that issue? someone please tell me something that i missed.... i cant take the sound anymore it makes me not want to use the rear brakes at all.

#3 ·
I dont Think I installed Then backwards, I believe They only go on one way?

Also, my rear wheel is a BST, the spacers are attached to the wheel so both spacers are on there.

It only happens when i press the rear brake down. I judt Took old brakes off, and put new pads in.

#14 ·
It is a characteristic of sinister pads, they scream.

Which EBC sintered pad did you install? If you went with a race pad they can be noisy.
Bwahahahaha! Beat me to it! LOL

#6 ·
i changed the pads to the EBC sinistered.
It is a characteristic of sinister pads, they scream.

Which EBC sintered pad did you install? If you went with a race pad they can be noisy.
If it's that loud, something is wrong and don't ride it until you figure it out. Put the rear up on a stand and get back there and manually spin the wheel until you figure it out. I'll bet you have a pad flipped backwards too as stated above.

Something is 100% wrong, brakes don’t feel as strong anymore on a 1-10 they’re a 6 in the rear. Everything was fine and a few rides in they started screeching like nails in a chalkboard it’s unbareable.

I’ll check to see if they’re backwards not sureness how I’ll know though It doesn’t exactly say front rear on them. Something is def wrong though. I never Heard brakes screech like that. It’s bit a squeak like normal squeaking brakes make, it’s a loud screech like 8” nails on a chalkboard

#7 ·
Something is 100% wrong, brakes don’t feel as strong anymore on a 1-10 they’re a 6 in the rear. Everything was fine and a few rides in they started screeching like nails in a chalkboard it’s unbareable.

I’ll check to see if they’re backwards not sureness how I’ll know though It doesn’t exactly say front rear on them. Something is def wrong though. I never Heard brakes screech like that. It’s bit a squeak like normal squeaking brakes make, it’s a loud screech like 8” nails on a chalkboard
I used to really like EBC pads, but on the track they would glaze over and lose effectiveness before wearing out (I hardly EVER use my rear brake so I wonder how many miles you had on the old pads); I like the Vesrah's much better personal preference.

If you still have the OEM rear pads, put them back on and see if the noise repeats as that would take the pad out of the equation...

#12 ·
The cleaning and greasing of pins, etc. is just to make sure that everything that needs to move does so freely and without binding.

As the rear brake pedal is bottoming out, something is fundamentally wrong. I would start by making sure the pads are properly installed. Then, bleed the rear brakes. It is possible the squealing is from the pads barely touching the rotor because the rear brake is not actuating properly.

I still suspect the sinistered pads however. Very Harry Potter.

#17 ·
TOTALLY agree. The EPFA's I just put on the front squeak at low speeds coming to a stop, but it's not anything that annoys me, it's just there now.

Reactions: dochp
#19 ·
Hi guys. So I finally Pulled the pads, they look DESTROYED. There’s less than 500 miles on them, and i wondering where i went wrong. I would Assume I need New pads now . Can you guys take a look tell me what happened here please. This is wild to me. I barely Have any use on them and they’re falling apart like this.

Attachments

#20 ·
I suspect the pads are dragging on the disk. This would also explain the lack of braking as the pads are too hot to work once the brakes are intentionally applied.

Do the pistons and the caliper move freely?

Is the rear brake adjusted properly?

Is there a possibility you tend to drag the rear brake when you ride? (Unlikely, but i have done unintentional things. :) )

#22 ·
I suspect the pads are dragging on the disk. This would also explain the lack of braking as the pads are too hot to work once the brakes are intentionally applied.

Do the pistons and the caliper move freely?

Is the rear brake adjusted properly?

Is there a possibility you tend to drag the rear brake when you ride? (Unlikely, but i have done unintentional things.
)

Yeah, I mean Everything went on super easy and I put It together properly. I did Fronts and rears same time fronts have no issues. When you say “is the rear brake adjusted properly” what exactly are you referring to?

So I assume These brake pads are trash and I need New ones correct?

#21 ·
This is my rotors after the fact, I believe The rotor is ok. I figured I’d give EBC a try but if I have To buy new pads again, I’m going to just get OEM pads. Never had such headaches when i had OEM’s. Maybe I’ll give BREMBO a shot. Thank his I havent ride with the brakes like this.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.