Tips on improving braking - Page 4 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
You will continue to make the same mistakes without an experienced coach to help you improve. Track school has been the best money spent (I spent a lot on it). In two years, better pace than friends with 4-8x track riding experience.

It's like discovering the right recipe ingredients and instructions by trial and error Vs someone who cooked it before showing you how it is done.

A side chick as a sugar mama can fix the money situation
Any tips?

On landing said Sugar mama? I live near an affluent area and am cougar territory at 31.

Just kidding, can land them, just not the rich ones.

///Xtremsiege2
2016 B&RR s1000rr Premium

Last edited by Xtremsiege2; 07-03-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash adams View Post
the idea of paid instruction is great, but i can't justify the cost versus a track day or race weekend. maybe when i am making more money, for now i get more enjoyment from more track time
I did a significant number of track days with the goal of learning how to be a better rider. I took full advantage any time a coach would provide to me. This was a great experience.

A few months ago I went to my first advanced school (California Superbike School) and have to say I learned more in that one day than I did in all my track days. I got really lucky; my group had 2 instructors (one in training) and 2 riders. After the 2nd session the second rider decided he was done due to feeling ill. I spent the next 3 sessions with 2 instructors and just me. It was the best experience I have ever had on a motorcycle. I'm going back this winter to do a few more days.

I fully understand the cost aspect as that is where I was when I was doing track days, but if you can find a way to make it happen, I doubt you will regret it.

Cheers,
Flash
smash adams likes this.

66 Flash
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Daytaon 675R (Track)
2018 KTM RC390
2013 Triumph Daytona 675
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCR "Street Rod"
2017 Yamaha TTR-230
2009 Yamaha TTR-125LE (Daughter's Bike)

Retired Bikes
2017 BMW S1000RR
2013 KTM RC8-R
2002 Triumph Daytona 955i CE
2002 GSX-R600 (Track)
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Last edited by 66Flash; 07-03-2018 at 04:34 PM.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:06 PM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremsiege2 View Post
Any tips?
Wholefoods or yoga studios
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz14 View Post
To the OP:
You donít describe your brake technique. Are you going full brakes, then tapering off? Or do progressively add pressure and ďjust make itĒ?
Are you trail braking? Are you using just front lever or both? Remember we have integrated braking, although itís different in different modes. Is the rear off the ground? A bit, or Marquez style?
I am trail braking. Trying to practice no coasting, i.e. either on throttle or on brakes, with varying success. I try to brake (and reduce the pressure as I go farther into the turn) all the way to the apex, though usually I am done braking before it. I don't break hard enough to lift the rear. I do use only the front lever (as I understand, in Race mode the front and rear are still linked). I am pretty sure that I put too much pressure on my wrists, and as @netaron directed my attention to the initial application, I think I squeeze too hard initially, so I am now trying to practice less weight on my wrists and smooth initial application.
smash adams, oz14 and netaron like this.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Just back from a day with California Superbike School at The Ridge in WA. An excellent day. I met Keith and Dylan Code, many great instructors, and many nice, kind, helpful fellow students. The help and discussions I had with my classmates were just as valuable as the instruction and feedback from coaches. While we didn't cover braking in particular (I took the 1 day course), we did cover some equally important topics (throttle control, turn points, rate of turn, relaxation, and vision); all familiar concepts from the many books, videos, and blogs, but with focused practice immediately following the class and instant feedback from the coach, I learned some new things, and by the end of the day, I was going faster, felt safer, didn't sweat as much, and had more fun. All in all, a great day. I am not a track junkie and I ride road exclusively, but this was on my bucket list and I am glad I did it.
D.Kinsey and netaron like this.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I want to thank you all for taking the time and giving me tips and things to look at. Special thanks to @netaron for the informative chat and detailed explanations he gave me. I believe I see an improvement now, with my reduced pressure on the bars, smoother initial application, and not trying that hard (to accelerate, to brake, to hang off...). The no-brakes exercise with CSS really opened my eyes to the realization that I can go reasonably fast without pushing real hard, so now I even have to brake less, and have the feeling I am just as quick as before.
oz14 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode