Comparison Error - Throttle position error - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bomanparakh
  • 1 Post By bomanparakh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to bomanparakh
Comparison Error - Throttle position error

So all of a sudden, the engine cuts off and the FI light comes on. When checking errors on the race calibration kit, it says “ comparison error, throttle valve position sensors”. And 5 V supply 2. Any ideas what these are, and what needs to be done.

I have tried clearing adaptation values and resetting, but cannot, as the bike cuts off midway when teaching the gearbox adaptation values.

Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:57 PM

What year? Assume you did throttle adaption first.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomanparakh View Post
So all of a sudden, the engine cuts off and the FI light comes on. When checking errors on the race calibration kit, it says “ comparison error, throttle valve position sensors”. And 5 V supply 2. Any ideas what these are, and what needs to be done.

I have tried clearing adaptation values and resetting, but cannot, as the bike cuts off midway when teaching the gearbox adaptation values.

Any ideas ?
My guess is...
There are two throttle valve position sensors (for safety reasons) in the same casing, and one of them (number 2) is broken. Or the socket or the 5 V wire is broken. Anyway ecu can not get usable signal from sensor number two.
There are three wires to each TPSensor: ground, 5 volts, and output signal about 1-4.5 volts depending on throttle valve position.

2011 s1000rr track bike inc. rck2 k-techDDS DunlopKR

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Site Sponsor

Did you get a BrenTune or similar? Do you have access to ISTA?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomanparakh View Post

Any ideas ?
Sounds like you are trying to do too many things at one time.
Reset throttle adaptations then ride the bike, manually shifting, WITHOUT using quickshifter. Go through the entire twistgrip's travel (idle to 100% open) for a few minutes several times. Obviously you need to be somewhere without traffic if there isn't a track available. I'm not telling you that it would be necessary to do it in every gear, just run the bike a 3-4 times through the entire twistgrip's travel, you only need 100% throttle for a few seconds. If your bike doesn't shutoff, or go to limp mode, you should be good.
Then you can re-teach gear adaptations, which I assume you mean quickshifter/gear assistant.

If you have a 2015+ RR the twistgrip's internal limiting boss could have broken off, in which case, while you tried the exercise I mentioned, you will certainly find yourself in the same place you began. Unlike prior to 2015, the potentiameter is contained within the twistgrip assembly, you will have to buy a new one $350+ USD unless your bike is under warranty, which may get you a replacement, free. If your bike is 2014-10 it will be not as involved if the sensor at the twistgrip is bad.

EDIT: Never finished my thought....if you have a 2015+ RR and your limiting boss snapped, you will have a twistgrip that will twist beyond the factory threshold, which will give the comparison error. The only way to fix it, is new twistgrip assembly. Prior model years had few reports of bad potentiameter's in the right hand switchgear, which would give the same error codes, because it couldn't calculate what the throttle position really was. The new 100% FBW/TBW introduced on the R in 2014 and then RR in 2015 IMO is not up for ABUSE from repeated sudden handfuls of throttle, such as what you would have while dragracing or landspeed racing. Once you snap off that internal limit boss, you r screwed, no cheap fix. Hopefully you didn't or you don't have a 2015+ RR.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC

Last edited by 5150 Pops; 03-31-2018 at 06:26 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post

Hello,

Cannot go through the adaptation sequence. Yes, cleared adaptation values and then tried going through the gears teaching it, but the engine abruptly stoppe. Not particularly at the same RPM , Speed or gear.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfinn View Post
My guess is...
There are two throttle valve position sensors (for safety reasons) in the same casing, and one of them (number 2) is broken. Or the socket or the 5 V wire is broken. Anyway ecu can not get usable signal from sensor number two.
There are three wires to each TPSensor: ground, 5 volts, and output signal about 1-4.5 volts depending on throttle valve position.

Yes, i am guessing this is the reason the error keeps popping up. I have 2 new sensors coming in. Fingers crossed!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
Did you get a BrenTune or similar? Do you have access to ISTA?
Hey mate,

No, no Bren tune. Though I did load a new map through the RCK. Could this have caused a problem, if the map was for a 2015 bike or perhaps have errors.

I have after all this , put in an old map, but the comparison error remains.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 Pops View Post
Sounds like you are trying to do too many things at one time.
Reset throttle adaptations then ride the bike, manually shifting, WITHOUT using quickshifter. Go through the entire twistgrip's travel (idle to 100% open) for a few minutes several times. Obviously you need to be somewhere without traffic if there isn't a track available. I'm not telling you that it would be necessary to do it in every gear, just run the bike a 3-4 times through the entire twistgrip's travel, you only need 100% throttle for a few seconds. If your bike doesn't shutoff, or go to limp mode, you should be good.
Then you can re-teach gear adaptations, which I assume you mean quickshifter/gear assistant.

If you have a 2015+ RR the twistgrip's internal limiting boss could have broken off, in which case, while you tried the exercise I mentioned, you will certainly find yourself in the same place you began. Unlike prior to 2015, the potentiameter is contained within the twistgrip assembly, you will have to buy a new one $350+ USD unless your bike is under warranty, which may get you a replacement, free. If your bike is 2014-10 it will be not as involved if the sensor at the twistgrip is bad.

EDIT: Never finished my thought....if you have a 2015+ RR and your limiting boss snapped, you will have a twistgrip that will twist beyond the factory threshold, which will give the comparison error. The only way to fix it, is new twistgrip assembly. Prior model years had few reports of bad potentiameter's in the right hand switchgear, which would give the same error codes, because it couldn't calculate what the throttle position really was. The new 100% FBW/TBW introduced on the R in 2014 and then RR in 2015 IMO is not up for ABUSE from repeated sudden handfuls of throttle, such as what you would have while dragracing or landspeed racing. Once you snap off that internal limit boss, you r screwed, no cheap fix. Hopefully you didn't or you don't have a 2015+ RR.

Hey mate,

Thank you for the reply. I have tried resetting the adaptation values, but it goes into limp mode with the engine shutting down and the F I light coming on sometimes.This happens at no particular RPM, gear or throttle position. I believe the sensor is at fault. Let’s see what happens when I put the new sensors on.
5150 Pops likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
YEAR 2013. Yes tried throttle adaptation.
5150 Pops likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode