Bmw roadside assistance - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Starpower
  • 1 Post By Starpower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Bmw roadside assistance

I currently do not have a roadside assistance plan, and for peace of mind, feel like I really need to get one. It appears that the roadside assistance plan comes from BMW Motorcycle Clubs of America? Just curious about anyone's experience with using this plan. Most towing companies don't handle motorcycles and I don't think I would want to use one anyway to transport my bike if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Garage
We use AAA. They have moto coverage. I used it once in the mountains. Flat bed came straped it down and you're off to the shop. There's no special moto towing places. If you happen to be somewhat close to a repair shop, sometimes they will come retrieve you with a trailer, if somebody has time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:55 PM

I've used my AMA membership towing benefit, pays for a membership if used just once every few years and it covers ALL of your vehicles. The last tower came with a tilting flat bed and a special wheel "truck" with outriggers to stabilize it as it was winched up the ramp.
kihtay likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower View Post
I've used my AMA membership towing benefit, pays for a membership if used just once every few years and it covers ALL of your vehicles. The last tower came with a tilting flat bed and a special wheel "truck" with outriggers to stabilize it as it was winched up the ramp.
^ This
They cover 35 miles and you can use it once a week (I'm sure if you abuse it, they would do something about it)
I had the mishap of our truck breaking down on the way back from the track, then 4-5 days later the battery died on the bike, and they informed me I cannot file within the same week, it has to be a week apart.
But it has more than paid off!!

PLUS- the membership covers ALL of your vehicles!!

@kihtay
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 05:57 AM

In Australia you get 2 years road side assist with the purchase of a new bike. They use Vans over here. No flatbed bullsh1t. Those guys are bushy af.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
In Australia you get 2 years road side assist with the purchase of a new bike. They use Vans over here. No flatbed bullsh1t. Those guys are bushy af.
I know that AAA and others like them have plans for motorcycles, but I figured you would just be getting the same flatbed haulers that they use for cars. That's why I was curious about the BMW roadside plan for motorcycles and wondering if anyone has used them. If you just get the same flatbed haulers with BMW as you would with any of the other companies, then no real reason to use them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:10 PM

I have used the BMW roadside assistance that came with the bike. It is just a regular car flatbed hauler. they send out the nearest guy to you that they have a "deal" with. When the guy came to pick up my bike on a regular flatbed I was everything short of an a$$hole to him.

told him straight up we're taking pictures of everything before and strapped on the truck. its a 20k dollar bike with nothing broken. you break you buy. He immediately called his boss, they talked, decided on pictures and we went about our way. It was a two day haul and BMW covered it all.

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I RR Fast View Post
I have used the BMW roadside assistance that came with the bike. It is just a regular car flatbed hauler. they send out the nearest guy to you that they have a "deal" with.

So basically, it sounds like whether I have a policy with BMW, AAA, AMA, etc... more than likely, their all probably using the same pool of haulers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Garage
weird...

I had a great experience with my BMW Roadside...they have a motorcycle specific truck pick my bike up when I had a flat tire. I told the guy, I was expecting a flat bed truck to come by...he said nope..we only use motorcycle specific trucks....might be how towers in my area function but not in others.

BMW roadside works best if you have tire warranty too...since BMW roadside will only tow you to a BMW dealer....1 tire replacement cost a fortune since they won't patch a tire...depends on your needs/situation I guess.

AAA and AMA works or just a regular tow to a patch shop...etc..

Moto Vids: Ken Moto
SDR 1290/S1000RR

Last edited by Endless; 07-21-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
In my neck of the woods you get either a flat bed or a conventional car front tires lift. I'll take the flat bed and run off the standard. Many years ago, they came with one and hung my bike from straps off the back, several paint blemishes from the straps and said "sue us, we didn't do it". The flat bed is no worse than tying my bike down in my track trailer, no issues.
I RR Fast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode