2013 sporadic DTC issue - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kanwisch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

2013 sporadic DTC issue

A couple weeks ago the bike was set down at zero speed on the left side; no damage. A few days later, after a couple of other no-issue rides and while riding in the wet, the DTC started flashing like crazy at a speed under 30 mph completely upright. Cut the power so much I nearly stopped in the middle of traffic before I realized the cause.

Since then the DTC issue would come and go (seemingly randomly) over a series of different rides. Speed and angle didn't seem to matter much.
  • I have Q3's which have been on the bike since last summer and have done street and track with no previous DTC/ABS issues.
  • The sensor rings are perfect and firmly set in the stock wheels.
  • The sensors have been cleaned by hand with soft cloth and look to be proper distance from ring.
  • No wheel removal anytime near the issue occurrence was done.
  • Wires from both sensors in perfect, like-new condition.
  • Tire air pressure is at street levels.
  • Bike was ridden in Sport mode.
  • GS-911 reports no codes that matter to the issue.
  • ABS operates just fine.

Reading a thread on here about the action of DTC in each mode gave me the idea to hit the street in Race mode. No DTC issues. Rode it for ~10mi and then switched back to Sport mode for ~2mi. No DTC issues. I'll keep it in Sport for my trip to work tomorrow and see if the problem self-corrected. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Is there a way to see, using GS-911, the sensed speed of each wheel? Link would be great
Where can I find the gyros for lean angle? I want to check their physical condition.

Ride it like you stole it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 PM
sro

Although there is no sensor error, I would consider replacing it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 AM

The GS-911 should be able to read the status of wheel speed sensors. Put the bike on some pit stands so both wheels are off the ground and spin the wheels while watching to see if the value changes on the GS911.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Since the issue has stopped I don't plan to make a $150 investment but if I did which sensor would you replace, @sro?

@benny, I assume those values show AFTER I've registered the VIN. Wasn't going to do that until I needed to but this makes the case. Thanks.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Since the issue has stopped I don't plan to make a $150 investment but if I did which sensor would you replace, @sro?

@benny, I assume those values show AFTER I've registered the VIN. Wasn't going to do that until I needed to but this makes the case. Thanks.
I had a problem similar, did u check the battery posts?
If u have the stock battery, or replaced it with the same cheap box post Yuasa as the stock one, one or both posts could have a hairline crack. You won't likely see it unless you disconnect the battery, remove it, use a light and magnifying glass to check each side of both posts. Could have stress cracks from sudden tipover.
On the other hand, the terminal screw(s) could be loose, and you simply need to tighten them. Not too tight, they crack really easy.

If you find you need a new battery, "batteries plus bulbs" carries one (forgot brand name) that's around $65, and has brass terminals, that are a lot stronger than the b.s. crap metal the OEM yuasa.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Wow, awesome insight. Will check as soon as I can.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 PM
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post

I would replace the front sensor since it is on the left side.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Final follow-up for reference. Didn't change any parts, just changed modes to rain and race and rode a bit and the issue went away on its own. Peculiar.
bennymx likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode