Track Bike Question - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rykkerr
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Nakawack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 160
Track Bike Question

Good evening All,
I am looking for some perspective as it relates to track bikes. I currently have a 2016 S1KRR and have done two track days on it thus far (COTA & Cresson). I enjoyed riding it a ton, learned a lot and had a blast. This drove me to start thinking about a dedicated track bike and a lot of folks have been suggesting a 600 as a means of fine tuning skills. They claim it helps focus and riding a slower bike fast, is much more functional than riding a fast bike slower. If I decide to buy a 600, the logical choice for me is the Triumph Daytona 675R. I respectfully request your perspective and viewpoint. Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Nak

"Life is short so lean into the corner, twist the throttle and see what happens next!"
Nakawack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Outta Control's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Silly-Con Valley
Posts: 1,581
Garage
Howdie.

A 600 is great for a trackbike but if $$ is an issue you can learn a lot on a modified Ninja 300 or an older SV650. Both could teach you to trailbrake and getting on the throttle.
Outta Control is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Nakawack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
Howdie.

A 600 is great for a trackbike but if $$ is an issue you can learn a lot on a modified Ninja 300 or an older SV650. Both could teach you to trailbrake and getting on the throttle.
Thanks OC for the feedback. If I pull the trigger on this, I will be grabbing a 16 TD675R that I have a great deal lined up on. I had a standard 09 years ago and regret selling it very much. Super nimble and an absolute kick in the pants to ride. Thanks for your time and view.

"Life is short so lean into the corner, twist the throttle and see what happens next!"
Nakawack is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Outta Control's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Silly-Con Valley
Posts: 1,581
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawack View Post
Thanks OC for the feedback. If I pull the trigger on this, I will be grabbing a 16 TD675R that I have a great deal lined up on. I had a standard 09 years ago and regret selling it very much. Super nimble and an absolute kick in the pants to ride. Thanks for your time and view.
No worries. I owned a 675 and they are a great track bike. Only drama with those are the parts if repairs are needed.
Outta Control is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Rykkerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 201
SV650.

You can get a great used one for $2500-3500, use the money to do more track days, eat a good lunch, buy tires and gas, pay people to repair anything you dont want to when you break it, and still save money.

Then when you're done with it 3 or 4 years later, you can sell it for parts or to some kid as a busted up track bike to fix up for $800. Either way, it's no huge loss.. you got your money out of it, and a kid gets a good cheap bike that just needs a few parts off ebay and some wrench work.
5150 Pops likes this.
Rykkerr is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Nakawack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykkerr View Post
SV650.

You can get a great used one for $2500-3500, use the money to do more track days, eat a good lunch, buy tires and gas, pay people to repair anything you dont want to when you break it, and still save money.

Then when you're done with it 3 or 4 years later, you can sell it for parts or to some kid as a busted up track bike to fix up for $800. Either way, it's no huge loss.. you got your money out of it, and a kid gets a good cheap bike that just needs a few parts off ebay and some wrench work.
Thanks for the thoughts but I am sold on another 675 if I go this route. Have a great night!

"Life is short so lean into the corner, twist the throttle and see what happens next!"

Last edited by Nakawack; 08-21-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Nakawack is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM
z00
Senior Member
 
z00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Redline
Posts: 4,555
Depends on your budget.

600s are overrated. I would wait until the end of the year, get a discounted RR. It's much easier to service 2 bikes of the same make.

If you want something different R1 or RSV4 make great track bikes.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
z00 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Rykkerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawack View Post
Thanks for the thoughts but I am sold on another 675 if I go this route. Have a great night!
Awesome. Glad you got it figured out!
Rykkerr is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Torchsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 90 minutes from Brainerd International Raceway, Minnesota
Posts: 1,098
Garage
I had and loved a '12 Daytona 675R for a few years before a deer committed suicide into it last year.
Stellar handling. Terrific motor out of the corners. Awesome Brembos. A total pleasure to ride on the track.

It sucked as a street bike though. Way to aggressive seating position. But I know that's irrelevant in your case.

**Current bikes**
'18 Yamaha YZ250FX
'08 Yamaha WR250X
'16 BMW S1000RR Premium
'15 MV AGUSTA BRUTALE 1090RR Corsa
'14 Yamaha Zuma 125
'20 Kawasaki KLX110L
Torchsport is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome