BMW S1000RR Forum banner

cbr1000rr to s1000rr

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  z00 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Looks like I'm gonna be selling my 2013 cbr1000rr. It's the one in my avatar. The bike I've zeroed in on is a 14 s1000rr. Any one owned a cbr and now an s1000. I know the s1000 has insane power. But what about handling. My cbr is 435 stock. And it turns in, flicks side to side and overall handles like a dream. It makes good power from 4.5 to 10k rpms but dies off fairly quickly. Can anyone comment on the handling of the s1000? I know it's heavier around 455 or so, but how does it carry the weight? And I've heard some comments about wheelie control being pretty abrupt. Have anyone done an Ecu tune like brentuning and softened the wheelie control? Thanks in advance. Feel free to share any other pertinent info you may have on the s1000

#3 ·
No not really. Outside of testing power which I know is there and seating position which I know from sitting on is comfortable, I can't really test the handling capabilities of the bike on a short dealer test ride on the straight, flat Midwestern roads of Illinois

#5 · (Edited)
Ok but you are asking people on the internet on how they compare but we all have different riding styles and different weights and heights.

For the most part you need to judge this for yourself as other people's feedback may not be relevant to you. Not to mention you rarely know the skill level of people in the forums but you can guarantee a lot of crap is typically spoken....

#4 ·
You're in Chicago. Go and test ride. Cannot compare CBR to s1000RR. They ride and handle differently.

Ironic part, first liter bike I tested was a 2014 blade. Not having ABS and TC, low power, I passed.

Reactions: wolverines0607
#6 ·
Mate I had 09 blade and bought a 2014 S1000RR. For me, the BMW is just better in every aspect. Only thing you miss out on is the mid range. The blade has insane mid range. The BMW needs to be kept high in the rev range to keep it at max hp/torque. Other than that, its just in a different league to the Honda. Honda is an analogue bike, BMW is fully digital. Just in terms of technology.

#10 ·
I owned a 2009 model Blade and loved it. I regret getting rid of that bike, but I felt it's strength was as a road bike. Very good mid range and a very confidence inspiring chassis. Nothing exceptional but a great overall package. Higher clip ons and lower pegs (from memory) made it quite comfortable. I loved how compact the blade felt - the BMW feels a bit bigger, but not in a bad way. I remember riding my 06 R1 race bike back to back against the Blade on track and distinctly recall how much easier it was to get through a left/right at the top of third gear on the blade, despite the BST wheels/race prep on the R1.

I find the 15 S1000RR doesn't have any big gaps in power and the midrange is probably as good. Top end goes to the BMW without a doubt. The BMW does not feel like it turns as quick but I expect the extra few kgs and DDC play a role in this. The BMW gives me as much confidence despite the different feeling of the DDC. Electronics on the BMW are first rate and the lack of on the Blade is a big limiting factor for that bike. As for the wheelie control, the 15 is well sorted and Race mode allows small amounts of front lift under power and rear lift under braking which works for me. That's keeping in mind that it's only been used on the road.

#11 ·
Excellent summary, Tom

I also find the RR does not turn in as quick as any other bike I own and many others I have tried, but it is predictable and smooth.

I would like to know what those the OP refers to who comment "wheelie control being pretty abrupt" mean by this.

I find the wheelie control remarkably smooth. In sport mode from a stop one can hammer the throttle and the bike simply scoots with the front wheel occasionally skimming the surface all the way to red line. I wish my throttle control was this good.

#13 ·
I've heard from a few owners and one guy I work with and trust. He said the wheelie control on his 13 can be pretty abrupt when cutting power and allowing the wheel to come down abruptly and then allow it to come back up. He described as kind of a "pogo effect"

#12 ·
I owned a 2012 CBR1000RR at the same time as my 2012 S1000RR. I was able to do many back to back comparisons. I always found the Honda to be an extremely good handling bike with light steering and tip in. It was without question lighter at tip in than my 12 BMW and did have better mid range punch, even after dropping one tooth in the front sprocket on the BMW. That said, it also had very weak to no top end rush, was not as stable mid turn, had much weaker brakes and overall just didn't register compared to the SThou on the thrill meter.

Fast forward to my 2015 S1000RR and almost any favorable
comparison to the Blade is gone. The BMW still isn't as light of a steering bike, but is much closer with the reward being an uncanny mid turn lock in, not like any other bike I've ridden. The BMW brakes are far superior and mid range punch is on par while still offering the blistering top end. It's more fun to ride and never leaves me feeling neutral in my feelings toward the bike. For all the Hondas merits, the meh feeling happened more often than note.

Then again, that was a 2012. Honda supposedly has a ground up new Fireblade for 17.

#17 ·
On 1st and 2nd gen RRs, to get rid of abrupt wheelie control, slick mode is not enough. Need to disable TC so anti wheelie does not intervene. My buddy on 13 RR ran into this issue, disabling TC for wheelies, fixed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.