Datalogger instruction resources - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Datalogger instruction resources

Hi everyone. I'm wondering what's out there in the way of datalogger usage instructions. I've been spending more time getting to know it and working out practical ways to help riders improve. Aside from the obvious manual, are there videos or resources that have been gathered up over time?

I have some things I was thinking about sharing but don't want to be redundant, and want to see what other knowledge exists.

I spent two days in a training class with a BMW race engineer going over the S1000RR, datalogger, and RCK3 which gave me a deep look into how these systems work together. I feel the datalogger in particular, with some basic training, can be pure gold for a rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:44 PM
sro

post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Code View Post
Hi everyone. I'm wondering what's out there in the way of datalogger usage instructions. I've been spending more time getting to know it and working out practical ways to help riders improve. Aside from the obvious manual, are there videos or resources that have been gathered up over time?

I have some things I was thinking about sharing but don't want to be redundant, and want to see what other knowledge exists.

I spent two days in a training class with a BMW race engineer going over the S1000RR, datalogger, and RCK3 which gave me a deep look into how these systems work together. I feel the datalogger in particular, with some basic training, can be pure gold for a rider.

There is not anyone else that I have seen post on here they have attended a 2 day training course on HP products. There is other threads with some postings with questions, but, not very many good answers.

so please feel free to express what BMW engineering product support has to offer on the integration and usage of RCK3 and HP Datalogger.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

We I think the first place to start is at the beginning--meaning setting it up. I have outlined the first steps below so someone can at least get properly started.

Note: if anyone finds an error, pm me and I will edit the post. I'd like avoid bickering on the thread.

Steps to get started with your datalogger if you are riding on track:

1) Install datalogger on bike. Lift off passenger seat and plug in per manual. One plug and you're done.
2) Install software and check for updates TWICE on computer.
3) Plug in a "FAT 32" USB drive, then turn bike's key on. (Drive's "properties" will say if it is FAT 32).
4) Light solid when reading/writing, remove when steadily flashing. May read/write twice.
5) Put USB drive in computer, open USB and there should be a file on it now: "2D-Datarecording".
6) Open BMW HP Race Datalogger program. Click "Import log data"--> check "Start HP USB Stick Scanner with Windows" and also check "Start Analysis automatically after log data import" unless you specifically don't want to. Also check "Race track" at the bottom of the page.
7) Go to OPTIONS-->DATA NAME-->check box for "from date and time".
8) Go to OPTIONS-->HP RACE DATALOGGER SETTINGS-->RENAME HP RACE DATALOGGER--> then name it e.g. "Billy's Bike".
9) Go to OPTIONS-->SET RACE MODE.
10) Go to OPTIONS-->CHANGING HP RACE DATALOGGER DEVICE SOFTWARE-->then choose your year model. Each model year shows with an alternate choice of 2D extension box. Don't check 2D extension box unless you have installed an additional box bought separately from 2D that is used to connect an exhaust sensor and other accessories.
11) Remove the USB drive and bring to your bike--but don't turn the bike on.
12) With the bike turned off, plug in the USB drive, THEN turn the bike on.
13) Wait for the solid light to end and you see steady blinking.
14) Pull USB out, does not matter if bike is on or off. Set it aside.
15) Go ride, come in, shut bike off.
16) Put USB into bike, turn it on, wait until light goes from solid to steadily blinking, remove USB, turn bike off.
17) Memory of the bike's datalogger has been transferred to the USB. Datalogger memory has now been cleared--it's on the stick now.
18) Take to computer, open program and data will upload automatically, depending on settings. If no auto upload, "import log data".
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 PM

One of the really important things that you should do when looking at the data is set the start finish line of the track with a GPS location. Without this start point you don't get lap times and most of the data analysis tools won't work correctly. I struggled with this for quite some time with my data. The data was there but I could not utilize any of the analysis tools within the software.

I considered writing a guide for this myself as the provided instructions with the datalogger aren't the greatest. Of course I got side tracked on other things and also did not see a lot of people really using the datalogger.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Member

I tried to get some people to post about the inner workings of the DataLogger data. That thread dead ended

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...lp-thread.html

Then there was another thread on DDC and data logging

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s1...c-signals.html

So, you went to school on it. Please feel free to share what the school presented on it.
rchase likes this.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Tomorrow I go off to do 16 school days at the track in three states over four weeks. Thunderbolt, VIR, COTA, and back to Thunderbolt. Meaning I'll be busy. However I will be playing with the system as much as possible and during that time I will see what sort of ideas I can develop around doing a video tutorial. My main focus is to help people "get up and running" with the system: properly set up, start/finish line created, and seeing the data traces of what's happening when they ride.
the_gooch and kruizen like this.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:47 AM

The best source of information is 2D website itself. Since our BMW datalooger is a so called USB Stick logger with 32MB internal memory and internal GPS antenna you can download the full software version manual and also the USB Stick loogger spec/manual.

But all this is just a description of how to use the software/hardware. It doesn't tell you anything HOW to interpret the data but there lies the real knowledge and expereince

This information is widely spread and there is no how-to guide available in comprehensive form. But with the BMW logger are coming plenty of templates you can use for each area to analyse DTC or even your fuel map if you also get the lambda probe and the extension box!

2014 HP4 comp.
2007 Yamaha Mio
1999 R1 "The One"
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Data logging is the best way to understand your mistakes in the track. You can "see" what was the mistake and correct it. You can also see where you loose or win time. If you have lambda sensors or potensiometers, you can tune your engine and your suspension. It's a new way of understanding riding.

But...you also need to understand the data you collect. You need to study. Everytime I come back from the track or a small drive to tune AFR I spent time to study the data. And when I say time I mean hours and hours. There are soooo many data and sooooo many things to understand and "discover". Just think that a team has more than 2-3 people just for telemetry.

A site that might help to start is http://www.datamc.org
AndyHP4 likes this.

You will never be arrested #58

Last edited by DrIoannis; 07-30-2016 at 06:35 AM.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 AM

Totally agree and on top of that you need to know the sweet spots of suspension travel, suspension speed, DTC intervention at which speed and so on.
DrIoannis likes this.

2014 HP4 comp.
2007 Yamaha Mio
1999 R1 "The One"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode