Updated S1000RR/S1000R Cam Chain Tensioner Screw Plug Info - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Updated S1000RR/S1000R Cam Chain Tensioner Screw Plug Info

Right. This information is old hat and dealer's should be aware of it. It is not a secret.

The bike comes with a Black screw plug for the cam chain tensioner. The problem is a noisy cam chain at start up where it rattles quite loudly. The chain stretches over time and the tensioner no longer provides enough pressure to keep the chain tight.

An updated screw plug that is longer is the fix. The new screw plug is Silver. This can only be fitted after 15,000kms. It is not the tensioner itself but a longer screw plug that puts more pressure on the tensioner.

It's only if the bike has a start up cam chain rattle. This is not a be all and end all noisy fix as most people seem to have a problem with the noise on these bikes. The dealer would not just replace it if you ask. They would have to determine it has a start up rattle and then proceed accordingly. You would need to take the bike to a dealer complaining of the start up rattle. Do not replace the part if the bike is not rattling on start up. It's not an automatic replacement once you hit 15,000kms. Read my original post carefully before anyone starts jumping to conclusions. Replacing it prematurely could also cause damage and make the chain too tight.

THIS IS NOT A FIX FOR NOISY OR TICKING ENGINES IN GENERAL.
Rainman, A B, skapan and 8 others like this.

Last edited by bennymx; 05-10-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post

Right. This information is old hat and dealer's should be aware of it. It is not a secret.

The bike comes with a Black screw plug for the cam chain tensioner. The problem is a noisy cam chain at start up where it rattles quite loudly. The chain stretches over time and the tensioner no longer provides enough pressure to keep the chain tight.

An updated screw plug that is longer is the fix. The new screw plug is Silver. This can only be fitted after 15,000kms. It is not the tensioner itself but a longer screw plug that puts more pressure on the tensioner.

THIS IS NOT A FIX FOR NOISY OR TICKING ENGINES IN GENERAL.
Curious why only after 15,000kms?
Colers and Rich like this.

Bruce
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

That is when Germany has decided it is needed. They built the bike. They tell us when.
pekespeed and Colers like this.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 PM
z00

I have 16k miles, so this means I just go to dealership and ask them to replace the tensioner plug? Covered under warranty for 15 RR?

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

It's only if the bike has a start up cam chain rattle. This is not a be all and end all noisy fix as most people seem to have a problem with the noise on these bikes. The dealer would not just replace it if you ask. They would have to determine it has a start up rattle and then proceed accordingly. You would need to take the bike to a dealer complaining of the start up rattle. Do not replace the part if the bike is not rattling on start up. It's not an automatic replacement once you hit 15,000kms. Read my original post carefully before anyone starts jumping to conclusions. Replacing it prematurely could also cause damage and make the chain too tight.
smash adams, BruceV, z00 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by bennymx; 05-10-2016 at 09:35 PM.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceV View Post
Curious why only after 15,000kms?

From Benny's post it is when the cam chain stretch is likely to have occurred to a degree justifying the change.
bennymx likes this.

2015 S1000RR
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:12 AM

How long has this been available for ?
I went in November for this problem and they warrantied it but put the same one back in . I still have noise at start up but now I'm out of warranty.
bennymx likes this.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

It's been out for a while Luker.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:07 AM

Yes mine rattles when it starts for 1-2 sec then quite. I believe I will try at the dealer when I finish paintjob and some other things I want to do.

You will never be arrested #58
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 PM

Update ! I just installed this and I don't think my bike has every been this quite. I definitely recommend it if you have timing chain noise
bennymx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in