Can I buy and resell without registering? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Can I buy and resell without registering?

Hi guys, I have a question about registration.

Is it legal (in Florida) to buy a bike (used and from a private seller), not to do registration, use it for a while, and the re sell it?

Iím not thinking in making a profit, but in trying a bike.
If itís legal, for how long can I keep the bike before re selling it?
What plates should I use?
Would I have to contact the original seller at the time of re selling?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:19 AM

As a track bike or road bike?
If a road bike, uh, no. You need to register it in order to get a plate and insurance.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 AM

You should be asking your local DMV and/or insurance carrier, their opinions are the ones that matter.
Elk likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Hi guys, I have a question about registration.

Is it legal (in Florida) to buy a bike (used and from a private seller), not to do registration, use it for a while, and the re sell it?

Iím not thinking in making a profit, but in trying a bike.
If itís legal, for how long can I keep the bike before re selling it?
What plates should I use?
Would I have to contact the original seller at the time of re selling?

Thanks for any advice.

For road bikes - Legally here in Florida you have 30 days to register a vehicle from the date of purchase (for used vehicles). After that they can slap you with a fine. All you need to do is carry the bill of sale or the title (bill of sale is probably a better option). The Bill of sale needs to have the date you purchased it clearly and not be past 30 days.

I am not sure how much the ticket is but ive heard they can be hefty.

2020 BMW S1000RR M Package - On order.......
2015 BMW S1000RR Motorsport
2013 CBR 1000RR Tricolor *Sold*
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol *Sold*
2006 R6S *Sold*
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOrlando View Post
For road bikes - Legally here in Florida you have 30 days to register a vehicle from the date of purchase (for used vehicles). After that they can slap you with a fine. All you need to do is carry the bill of sale or the title (bill of sale is probably a better option). The Bill of sale needs to have the date you purchased it clearly and not be past 30 days.

I am not sure how much the ticket is but ive heard they can be hefty.
Thanks @DJOrlando
Ok, so for 30 days I'm fine carrying the title and/or bill of sale.

What about the license plate? I guess I should ask the seller to let me use his tag.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
As a track bike or road bike?
If a road bike, uh, no. You need to register it in order to get a plate and insurance.
It would be a road bike. Insurance is optional here in Florida. The plate is the only concern.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Thanks @DJOrlando
Ok, so for 30 days I'm fine carrying the title and/or bill of sale.

What about the license plate? I guess I should ask the seller to let me use his tag.

You do not need a plate for those 30 days..just the title and bill of sale. After those 30 the Leos might have an issue.

BUT...just to cover everyones ass....call the DMV and confirm. Since you know you are going to buy a bike..register it...tag it...and if you decide to sell..transfer the tag.

2020 BMW S1000RR M Package - On order.......
2015 BMW S1000RR Motorsport
2013 CBR 1000RR Tricolor *Sold*
2007 CBR 1000RR Repsol *Sold*
2006 R6S *Sold*
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:32 PM

I don't know Florida law but here is what I think.

First you are asking a few questions - on the first one - unless Florida has temporary tags (even if that is the case you are still going through the registration process) you need to have plates.

Now would I sell a bike to someone and let them ride around on my license plate - no way. Why would they want to keep paying for insurance - not to mention they are now part of any accident you get into.

It's not legal - if the previous owner in fact cancelled the registration - here in MA you need to return the plate to the registry to cancel the registration.

In regard to can you buy the bike and ride around for say a month and if you don't like - sell it to someone else. Again not if the previous owner made the sale to you legally - bill of sale - signed the title over to you - and he/she cancelled their registration.

Once they sign the title over to you - the title for all intents and purposes must be presented to the registry to pay all sales tax and title and registration fees.

Sure if this was done - and for some reason you wanted to get out of the deal and return the bike to the previous owner - and you had not gone to the registry yet - you could give him/her back the title and paperwork and in fact cancel the deal.

Again if you don't register the bike - here in MA it is illegal to ride on a bill of sale - unless you had another registered bike that you traded in towards that bike - so in fact your registration for the bike traded and the bill of sale for the new bike becomes the documents needed to be on your person until you get the new bike registered. You have seven days here in MA.

The only entity if you will that can purchase vehicles and not pay the sales tax - title fee - reg fees and transfer the vehicle to another party is a licensed dealer.

Hope all this clutter helps - I guess in short I would have said no you can't do it legally - at least not here in MA.
Topaz likes this.

Bruce
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOrlando View Post
You do not need a plate for those 30 days..just the title and bill of sale. After those 30 the Leos might have an issue.

BUT...just to cover everyones ass....call the DMV and confirm. Since you know you are going to buy a bike..register it...tag it...and if you decide to sell..transfer the tag.
Well I'm glad I said I didn't know Florida law - MA doesn't let any vehicle on the road under any condition that is not registered and insured. As I said even when trading in - you still have a reg and insurance and proof that the old vehicle is no longer in your possession.

Bruce
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @BruceV

So, 'open titles' held by privates are not legal? Or they are good as long as you don't ride the bike?

An open title is a title signed by the seller, but left empty on the buyers part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode