Can I buy and resell without registering? - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Still shady and wrong no matter how you look at it.
For me it's all very clear, nothing shady. A clear question with a clear answer. The answer is: 'No, you can't do it.'

Definitely wrong to do it, but since I had heard about open titles, I wanted to find out.

It would be nice to be able to LEGALLY buy a bike, try it, only for a week or two, and if you don't like it, sell it with out having to spend the time and money of transfer and registration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 PM

I've never read anything like this in all my 49 years. Just go steal a bike, ride it and if you don't like it put it back where you found it lol!!
erion racer likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Florida Statue 319.22 (3)

In the case of a private or casual sale, except for transfers by a surviving spouse as provided by s. 319.28, no title shall be accepted for transfer unless the name of the person who is selling the vehicle is shown as the owner on the face of the title.
And (5)

It is illegal to transfer title to a motor vehicle when the purchaser's name does not appear on the title. Any buyer or seller who knowingly and willfully violates this subsection with intent to commit fraud commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
Penalty: Up to one year in jail and/or fine of up to $1000.

So whether you are doing it with negligent intent or not, it's still illegal.

Good info. Thanks!

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:41 PM

The question is can you do it and get away with it. The answer is yes you can until you get caught.

i'm assuming the op is trying to see if anyone on here got away with it and would like some tips to go around the law.

I've tried to buy a few used bikes around my area and there is so many people that were trying to sell me bikes from previous owners, un register bikes, "its my cousin's bike" my ass. I mean i knew they try to skip on the tax and everything in between. I decided not to buy those bikes who knows what else is in the closet after you take ownership.

Here is what i know, people on craigslist do this all the time. I'm assuming most do not get caught thats why they do it. But its still shady and who knows what dmv or the irs wants to do to you if you slip.
5150 Pops likes this.

Last edited by Legacy; 02-12-2016 at 05:47 PM.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
i'm assuming the op is trying to see if anyone on here got away with it and would like some tips to go around the law.
Not at all! On the contrary. I wanted to find out because I want to be on the safe side.

I actually was offered a bike with an open title and that was why I thought about it. I thought it was legal.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Not at all! On the contrary. I wanted to find out because I want to be on the safe side.

I actually was offered a bike with an open title and that was why I thought about it. I thought it was legal.
Sorry, your description looks suspect, i just assume you are seeking advice for said description.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Sorry, your description looks suspect, i just assume you are seeking advice for said description.
The description is fine. I wasn't clear this time.
First I was offered a bike with an open title, which I didn't take. And that made me think I could buy a bike (a different one), leave the title open, use it and then re sell it. And that's why I wanted to find out if it was legal.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 PM

Garage
Here's some advice to stay legal. Ask the seller if you can meet him at a reputable shop to have a mechanic go over it. If they say no, don't buy it. Don't ride the bike over there, because if anything happens, you will be on the hook for it. Once it has been checked out, take it for a ride with a written contract with witness.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 PM

you need a dealer in order to buy and sell vehicles without titling and registering them in between. hence dealer plates.

personally i would probably sell a bike with an open title to help someone out but would never buy one. You have no proof that the seller has the right to sell.

Every bike or car ive ever bought (which is like 20) i have always had 4 or 5 things

sellers id, compare it to title, compare vin on title to vin on bike, issue casheirs check to name on title, draft bill of sale referencing all of the above

if they wont take a cashiers check i walk, if there name isnt on title i walk

if it was easy to do what OP is askign everyone with cash would be in the car flipping business. But title, tags, taxes, and insurance caught into profit to much. you cant avoid these things legally....especially if you plan on riding them.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 01:30 PM

I have sold a few bikes by signing the title over. I tell the buyer to register and send proof right away. If they don't you can always go down to the county clerk and junk it out. It is in everyone's interests to transfer the title.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Street- 2014 BMW HP4

Track/Race- 2015 BMW S1000rr/ 2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R- the usual race mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode